02-13-2024, 07:05 PM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

BMW Says You Should Buy A Manual M Car While You Still Can

BMWBLOG: BMW Says You Should Buy A Manual M Car While You Still Can

Get 'em while you can!

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, it's highly unlikely they will get rid of the MT during the entire lifecycle of the G87. IMO there will always be a base model with MT, but don't expect any further power increases due to the limitations of the MT in its current iteration. Don't see them improving it to handle more power, there's no ROI for it.

Before someone chimes in that there are tuned G8x with MT and no issues you're missing the point. Yes, everything has some tolerance built into it that exceeds what it's rated at, but BMW has to warranty their cars. They will not give it more power unless they surprise us and upgrade the MT which I highly doubt will happen. The Z4 IMO got the MT because Toyota did the heavy cost lifting and BMW piggybacked off that effort.
Appreciate 7
EXE462100.00
aerobod3625.50
rk95379.50
Resoelg244.00
k-m2-j442681.00
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      02-13-2024, 07:42 PM   #2
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post

Get 'em while you can!

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, it's highly unlikely they will get rid of the MT during the entire lifecycle of the G87. IMO there will always be a base model with MT, but don't expect any further power increases due to the limitations of the MT in its current iteration. Don't see them improving it to handle more power, there's no ROI for it.

Before someone chimes in that there are tuned G8x with MT and no issues you're missing the point. Yes, everything has some tolerance built into it that exceeds what it's rated at, but BMW has to warranty their cars. They will not give it more power unless they surprise us and upgrade the MT which I highly doubt will happen. The Z4 IMO got the MT because Toyota did the heavy cost lifting and BMW piggybacked off that effort.
So with the marketed power bump on the MY25, will this also power bump the 6MT? I think it has more than enough power as is, I personally would not tune it for more. My friend has a racechip and says 550hp is peak before you start slipping the clutch at 600hp. Not sure if that’s a true statement or not.

I can see a 500hp 6MT, but then again when dynoed stock, we are almost there.
Appreciate 1
Resoelg244.00
      02-13-2024, 08:40 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
So with the marketed power bump on the MY25, will this also power bump the 6MT?
Yes and no. Both MT and AT will get +20hp bump. The AT however is also tentatively to receive an additional +37 lb-ft torque while the MT torque remains unchanged.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71404.50
      02-13-2024, 08:46 PM   #4
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes and no. Both MT and AT will get +20hp bump. The AT however is also tentatively to receive an additional +37 lb-ft torque while the MT torque remains unchanged.
That makes sense while they try and phase the 6MT “out of style” lol. Won’t shake me or plenty others, but I get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 11:23 PM   #5
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:

Get 'em while you can!

Nothing new in that story at all. BMW have been open about this.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:18 AM   #6
M2BOT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [10.00]
I made the right decision then. I bought this car because I had a feeling this was my last opportunity to own a manual transmission luxury sports car when I could actually finally afford one.

I know the automatics are better in pretty much every single performance aspect but I. DONT. CARE. It’s WAY more fun.

I got into cars in high school when the Fast and the Furious came out. I bought an old 1987 Thunderbird Super Coupe with a 5MT and modded the crap out of that thing. I drove manuals exclusively until I got my used E46 3 series after graduating college and was like “yeah BMW makes nice cars.”

When it was time for the E46 to go, I remember turning it into the dealer getting ready to build my own MT 3 series, but got convinced to lease an automatic 3 series demo vehicle because of how good a deal was. I did and regretted it every single day I drove it wanting to kill myself from the boredom. I did it again for my second lease.

The third time I went in, that was it for me. I knew it was now or never and so I bit the bullet and built my M2 and couldn’t be happier. Driving is FUN again.

Stick shift or bust. I’ll be livin my life a quarter mile at a time granny shiftin not double clutching like I should yelling MOONNICAAAA all day like Ja Rule and shifting 27 times in a quarter mile with my spoon engine plus I might just go into Harry’s and order three T66 turbos with NOS and a Motec system exhaust.

2JZ engine no shit.

Overnight parts from Japan.
Appreciate 12
DrewNewM2364.50
k-m2-j442681.00
baege1334.00
Geighty71404.50
clydefrog288.50
rk95379.50
aerobod3625.50
M2-Bob242.00
xtougher560.00
rdriggett129.00
ronin130131000.50
      02-14-2024, 05:15 AM   #7
DrewNewM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Gray G87 Manual

I have 3 manual transmission cars so you know what I think. Save the manuals! Get them while you can because we will only be able to buy electric appliance eventually.(soon)

I will give up a few OEM lb-ft of torque for the engagement and fun of a manual transmission with its extra pedal and hand operated gear selector any day. I will eventually do a stage 2 tune probably Ethanol and an aftermarket clutch if necessary so OEM torque means nothing.
Appreciate 3
Geighty71404.50
aerobod3625.50
MMMGuy60434.50
      02-14-2024, 06:16 AM   #8
k-m2-j442
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 Supra 3.0

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.17]
2021 Toyota Supra  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2BOT View Post
I made the right decision then. I bought this car because I had a feeling this was my last opportunity to own a manual transmission luxury sports car when I could actually finally afford one.

I know the automatics are better in pretty much every single performance aspect but I. DONT. CARE. It’s WAY more fun.
Got my allocation for the M2. Sold my 21 AT supra to get a manual. Was looking for a MT supra but hard to find and markups...ordered the M2 to my spec with a 6spd...and here we are. I'm not going to be able to afford the 911 spec I want and the Cayman GTS4 are also marked up liked crazy, the Emira is still on hold (last I checked), the M3/4 are too big for what I want (and more expensive). I'm happy with my decision and love driving it. My DD is a RDX which I don't like driving and haven't really enjoyed driving it since we got it but it serves the purpose.
      02-14-2024, 06:33 AM   #9
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:

I got into cars in high school when the Fast and the Furious came out. I bought an old 1987 Thunderbird Super Coupe with a 5MT and modded the crap out of that thing. I drove manuals exclusively until I got my used E46 3 series after graduating college and was like “yeah BMW makes nice cars.”

When it was time for the E46 to go, I remember turning it into the dealer getting ready to build my own MT 3 series, but got convinced to lease an automatic 3 series demo vehicle because of how good a deal was. I did and regretted it every single day I drove it wanting to kill myself from the boredom. I did it again for my second lease.

The third time I went in, that was it for me. I knew it was now or never and so I bit the bullet and built my M2 and couldn’t be happier. Driving is FUN again.

Stick shift or bust. I’ll be livin my life a quarter mile at a time granny shiftin not double clutching like I should yelling MOONNICAAAA all day like Ja Rule and shifting 27 times in a quarter mile with my spoon engine plus I might just go into Harry’s and order three T66 turbos with NOS and a Motec system exhaust.

2JZ engine no shit.

I hear ya brotha, I went more than 20 years without an automatic after my first car which was a slushbox. Then, I got a 2018 M240ixdrive with the ZF8. At first I was ok with the novelty of the paddles and felt like I could live without manual.

fast forward about a year I test drove an e86 Mcoupe I was considering, and it had the autosolutions manual upgrade, I literally got emotional driving a manual again

traded the M240i in for a manual m2 comp soon after that, and will always have a manual in my life

life is too short to just paddle along

Last edited by baege; 02-14-2024 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 5
aerobod3625.50
M2BOT93.00
k-m2-j442681.00
rdriggett129.00
      02-14-2024, 10:14 AM   #10
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

2JZ engine no shit.

I thought I was typing this as I was reading. This was literally my life and my exact decisions. HELL YEAH.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
JMcLellan2067.50
M2-Bob242.00
M2BOT93.00
LCDRJohn607.50
k-m2-j442681.00
m20e30871150.00
      02-15-2024, 06:35 PM   #11
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:

2JZ engine no shit.

MOONNICAAAA

Appreciate 0