bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-30-2024, 04:23 PM   #1
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Femto question

Why do some people send their dme to femto more than once? I thought the unlock was a one time thing and that bench unlocks would happen based on if the car is updated post unlock.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 05:44 PM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

If a dealer or over the air software update installs then it locks the DME. Only way to unlock it is the send it back to FEMTO.

Also both MHD and BM3 have released large updates that require you to send your dme back to femto if you want to get those updates. For example MHD+ required it. I don’t know the reasoning behind that though, just know that it has been required before.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2024, 06:13 PM   #3
inevitab1e
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i G42

Do you guys think sometime in the near future the unlock will become available through MHD like previous vehicles? I had a N55e that needed to have the DME pulled for unlock, but a year or so later the unlock was built into MHD.
So is this just a time game until no DME removal is needed?
Aren't other companies actively trying to unlock these DME's via the OBD port?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 08:06 PM   #4
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
Do you guys think sometime in the near future the unlock will become available through MHD like previous vehicles? I had a N55e that needed to have the DME pulled for unlock, but a year or so later the unlock was built into MHD.
So is this just a time game until no DME removal is needed?
Aren't other companies actively trying to unlock these DME's via the OBD port?
Short answer: don’t hold your breath
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2024, 08:35 PM   #5
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
If a dealer or over the air software update installs then it locks the DME. Only way to unlock it is the send it back to FEMTO.

Also both MHD and BM3 have released large updates that require you to send your dme back to femto if you want to get those updates. For example MHD+ required it. I don’t know the reasoning behind that though, just know that it has been required before.
I thought if we did the femto unlock we would just need to bench unlock after. Is it really worth doing a femto unlock if everytime they decide to update my car it gets locked again?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 04:57 AM   #6
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopG42 View Post
I thought if we did the femto unlock we would just need to bench unlock after. Is it really worth doing a femto unlock if everytime they decide to update my car it gets locked again?
You have to tell them to not update your car and hope they listen. Also you aren’t missing out on anything if you don’t update the software pushed out by bmw.

That is the risk you take.

And no, there is no state-side bench unlock for our DME. It will need to go back to femto if it gets locked again.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 09:47 AM   #7
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
You have to tell them to not update your car and hope they listen. Also you aren’t missing out on anything if you don’t update the software pushed out by bmw.

That is the risk you take.

And no, there is no state-side bench unlock for our DME. It will need to go back to femto if it gets locked again.
I see , so in theory could I just never go to the dealership? I dont care for the oil changes there or anything else really. There are shops by me like CES that I could probably do break jobs at if need be. Id rather just not go instead of risking them doing an update. I agree though these idrive updates have really done nothing for me
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 11:35 AM   #8
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

There is no reason to go to the dealer except for warranty work.

You will also want to disable the over the air updates.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      07-02-2024, 09:08 PM   #9
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Angry

Quote:
Also both MHD and BM3 have released large updates that require you to send your dme back to femto... For example MHD+ required it
Dammit this is just another point against sending my ECU to an all expense trip to finland. I just want to customize my burbles and run E85 .
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 02:10 AM   #10
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
There is no reason to go to the dealer except for warranty work.

You will also want to disable the over the air updates.
Speaking of updates, I am unlocked and tuned on mhd while my ota updates are turned off on both my car and phone, I keep getting notifications for app updates. Would the app updates brick my dme or possibly lock it again? I am not risking it either way but I am just curious as to why the car would still have notifications for that when ota software updates are off. Maybe app updates are treated differently?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 05:03 AM   #11
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopG42 View Post
Speaking of updates, I am unlocked and tuned on mhd while my ota updates are turned off on both my car and phone, I keep getting notifications for app updates. Would the app updates brick my dme or possibly lock it again? I am not risking it either way but I am just curious as to why the car would still have notifications for that when ota software updates are off. Maybe app updates are treated differently?
Are you talking about the My BMW app on your phone?

If the App Store on your phone is saying there is an update to my bmw You can update that no problem. You are just updating the app on your phone. Has absolutely nothing to do with your car.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-12-2024, 05:45 AM   #12
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Are you talking about the My BMW app on your phone?

If the App Store on your phone is saying there is an update to my bmw You can update that no problem. You are just updating the app on your phone. Has absolutely nothing to do with your car.
No my friend,
Let me clarify what I meant. So on idrive 8 I get notifications about apps having updates available and was wondering if hitting update on that would ruin my dme unlock

Edit: adding photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 06:11 AM   #13
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ohhhh that makes more sense.

The app updates SHOULD be fine since they are just updating the apps like Spotify and all the other ones no one uses but I would rather be safe than sorry and would leave them alone.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00