E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lane Change Ticket 85 MPH

03-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #23
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
I'm with Shim on this one. Cutting off a bus without signaling is not so good. The cop wasn't in the passenger seat and probably didn't read the post last month about optomistic speedometers, so he can't be expected to make the automatic deduction.

I would mention also that the quick three blink lane change is a pretty short warning, especially considering that people in buses and trucks have odd kinda angles and big blind spots with which to deal. At least Ksfrogman showed me how to stop the left-right shuffle.

I agree with some of the rant regarding traffic and road quality in USA. Having driven on the Schukyll Expressway outside of Philadelphia and on the Beltway around DC, I will add that fast and laminar traffic flow is still dangerous when spacing between cars is inappropriate. That's a five car pile-up just waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #24
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3
So when you cut off a bus, and he has to slam on his brakes, and then the guy behind him has to hit the brakes, and the guy behind him hits the brakes, and the guy behind him hits the brakes....

You don't think you cause traffic when you drive like an idiot?

That seems to be complicated logic for the OP...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:49 AM   #25
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

"The 57 percent of American drivers who say they don't use their turn signals for changing lanes have a variety of excuses. In a survey commissioned by Response Insurance, these were the reasons given:

42 percent said they don't have time.
23 percent said they are too lazy.
17 percent said they don't because they forget to turn it off.
12 percent said they change lanes to frequently to bother.
11 percent said it's not important.
8 percent said they don't because others don't.
7 percent said not doing it adds to excitement.

The survey also found 62 percent of men leave the turn signal alone when changing lanes; the number was 53 percent for women. Seventy-one percent of drivers ages 18-24 don't signal, but 51 percent of those 55 to 64 do."

http://www.wgal.com/news/8063840/detail.html
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #26
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I gotta agree with most the people here. I HATE people who don't signal when they change lanes. They should make the fine higher so it convinces people to do it. People always complain about tickets, but usually, they deserve them.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 01:30 AM   #27
Durbrain
Rep
Drives: Pooftermobile

Original poster is a retard.

Flicking your indicator should be a reflex response. If you have to think about it, then you're either:

i) Purposely not indicating (in which case you're a prick) or
ii) Suffer psychomotor retardation (ie you're a retard).

I say fine all the pricks and retards on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #28
john802
Riptide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SG

too bad that you're at the wrong place & at the wrong time not to use your blinker. I'm guilty as charge for not using the blinker occasionally...but does anybody here at least once forgot to use the blinker when changing lanes in traffic?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 02:29 AM   #29
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

So are you are angry because you were breaking the law ang got caught? You were speeding and not signaling when changing lanes, you deserve a ticket, deal with it.

Everytime I speed, I know I run the risk of getting a ticket. it's the added risk that you take with the benefit of arriving earlier. As soon as you go over the speed limit you have made the decision to take on that added risk.

So move on, fight it, pay it, do whatever, but don't be angry at the cop, he's just doing his job.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #30
john802
Riptide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refujeet
...Everytime I speed, I know I run the risk of getting a ticket. it's the added risk that you take with the benefit of arriving earlier. As soon as you go over the speed limit you have made the decision to take on that added risk.

So move on, fight it, pay it, do whatever, but don't be angry at the cop, he's just doing his job.
I agree!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 03:25 AM   #31
Haiko
Private
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

OKAY final comment!

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion! I was just expressing my spur of the moment aggression for getting caught, thats it! I acknowledge I was at fault to a certain degree! My main question was about the technicality of the MPH.

And Durbrain, F*** Y**! You're the RETARD!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #32
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Haiko, no offense bro. We understand your situation and frustration.

but we are all in driver's stand point. And I can tell you, when someone don't use the blinker, its so damn annoying and sometimes, very dangerous. I hope everything works out well for you, and hopefully, ticket goes away. You are lucky for not getting the speed ticket though.

here is a quick DIY on how to use blinkers. I did this just for you.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 03:56 AM   #33
m666
Rep
Drives: X5

Did I miss something? From what I read it looks like you broke 2 laws, but the cop let you off on one violation. Shouldn't you be happy with that? Do you seriouslly think the cop should let you get away with both violations? You should be grateful that he only cited you for one violation.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 04:46 AM   #34
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

RichReg wrote in part, "...then there would be no need for those of us that would like nothing
more than to be on our merry little way, to impose upon getting in front of someone DRAGGING HIS/HER ASS in the left lane.

I am aware of the fact that buses can sometimes go slower than BMWs, but they really have no need to be in the left lane just because idiot lawmakers in the U.S. gave them the right to be in the left lane & obstruct traffic whenever they feel like it.

Those vehicles and others that fall into this category are PART OF THE PROBLEM, they are not the solution. "

I agree with parts of your rant, <g> Left lane bandits are indeed inconsiderate. In many sttes they can be ticketed for impeding traffic but seldom are. I know what you meant but the driver, not the vehicle is at fault. Since SUV bashing has become so popular as a past time, I hear and read more and more stories about SUVs that hit people or vehicles or about the 18 wheeler that hit a car from behind. Seldom is it mentioned that the SUV was driven in an unsafe manner or that the driver of the car either cut off or suddenly slowed the vehicle causing the accident with the truck/driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #35
Durbrain
Rep
Drives: Pooftermobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiko

And Durbrain, F*** Y**! You're the RETARD!
Dear retard,

I am quite capable of moving my arm across to the indicator stalk and flexing my fingers. In fact, I'm so proficient at it, I don't even think about it.

You clearly have much trouble with such action.

From a medical point of view, that would constitute psychomotor retardation - hence you are a retard.

From the nature of your replies, you also appear to have an antisocial personality disorder. This too may contribute to your retarded driving style. Perhaps a referral to a psychiatrist would be in order.

Dr Durbrain MD
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 06:18 AM   #36
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
another name calling thread?

this site is becoming more and more #2 bimmerforums.com.

where is jason/mark... another thread to be closed.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #37
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
That has nothing to do with not signaling.
Not signaling was what the cop determined to be a "gift ticket".

The real reason behind the whole incident was because a bus was in the left lane and Haiko was trying to get in front of it. I'm sure he wasn't attempting to race the bus, BUT if the bus was going slower than he was, simply getting out of the way would have made things a lot easier for everybody. I am guessing that Haiko just wanted to be on his way, and the cop capitalized on this.

That's right CAPITALIZED....only here in the good ol' U.S.A.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #38
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3
So when you cut off a bus, and he has to slam on his brakes, and then the guy behind him has to hit the brakes, and the guy behind him hits the brakes, and the guy behind him hits the brakes....

You don't think you cause traffic when you drive like an idiot?
The point is: The bus driver is likely half asleep from driving so much & should not be obstructing traffic in the left lane, IF there are others who wish to go faster. Just because Haiko wants to move at a quicker pace does not mean that he is driving like an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #39
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I've seen a long trend on this forum for certain threads to be doomed from the onset to become name calling rants ending up with such clever posts as "you are" and "no, you are".

I consider myself a way above average driver (I have to distiguish that because surveys show that most Americans feel they are above average drivers and most are terrible drivers). Even so, I make my mistakes and I occasionally do stupid things. For the most part I have been fortunate that these mistakes and stupid things have not resulted in damage, injury, or citation.

What dooms a thread like this one is the OP will admit to commiting some act of a moving violation either to boast (as in, "hey I'm cool because I made my car go really fast" or "I broke the law and got a ticket - the facist cops are out to get me"). This leads to the inevitable replies of two types: 1. Others wishing to express displeasure with the presentation of the event and the related attitude toward it; 2. Others who wish to cheer on the OP or identify themselves as fellow victims of the facist police.

I spend a lot of time on the road commuting in both heavy traffic situations and free flowing high speed situations, and I have determined that the primary problems are three:

1. Lack of forward thinking. The inability to foresee almost certain or highly possible events that will occur several seconds in the future, and to begin to compensate immedately.

2. Lack of communication. When we're all driving we can't speak to each other, but there are other ways to make your intentions known to other drivers. One such method is a turn signal.

3. Arrogance/Impatience. "It's more important for me to get where I'm going than for you to get where you're going, so I'm going to cut you off". People who feel their time is more valuable than everyone else's, and that waiting in that line of traffic for the off ramp is for "losers".

I don't consider speeding in general to be a high risk compared to the three listed. Generally (I'm saying generally), the person driving fast is paying much more attention to the details of driving than those going more slowly. This obviously becomes a problem when the speeder wants to outdrive the conditions - be they traffic or weather related. Speeding is just very easy to identify and quantify - hence the wonderful revenue generating industry of speeding tickets. I'd rather see less speeders ticketed and more inconsiderate and aggressive drivers ticketed.

To echo a few of the opinions I read here, you got lucky that you weren't charged with speeding. Don't bitch and moan that you are victimized by the "failure to signal" ticket. You didn't signal. You're guilty. Live with it.

People who don't signal are complete morons in my book (see #2 "communication" above). If you must squeeze in between me and the car ahead of me, at least give me a few seconds of warning so I can back off and give you room. I signal lane changes even when there is not another car in sight in any direction... why? Because it's a habit. I assume you manage the ability to shift your transmission from one gear to another, and to turn the wheel clockwise and counterclockwise to change the direction of your vehicle. Is it asking too much for you to use a teeny tiny little finger to tap the turn signal? And not AFTER you have made your move (love it when jerks to that), but a few seconds beforehand.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #40
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
I was caught speeding a long time ago and the cop gave me a no lane change ticket instead. I think it costed less and I don't remember if it meant points. I actually think I might have used the turn signal, but seemed like he was doing me a favor, so I didn't argue.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of speeds in excess of 65 mph in the left lane.

I like the DIY put together by Lux. How'd you do that?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #41
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg

The real reason behind the whole incident was because a bus was in the left lane and Haiko was trying to get in front of it. I'm sure he wasn't attempting to race the bus, BUT if the bus was going slower than he was, simply getting out of the way would have made things a lot easier for everybody. I am guessing that Haiko just wanted to be on his way, and the cop capitalized on this.

That's right CAPITALIZED....only here in the good ol' U.S.A.
So, if he DID signal...then...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #42
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Led, once again you are a voice of reason. I just hope someone is listening to that voice.

Lux, great animation. More instructive than most posts.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #43
no_exit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: R 1150 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
...People who don't signal are complete morons in my book (see #2 "communication" above). If you must squeeze in between me and the car ahead of me, at least give me a few seconds of warning so I can back off and give you room. I signal lane changes even when there is not another car in sight in any direction... why? Because it's a habit. I assume you manage the ability to shift your transmission from one gear to another, and to turn the wheel clockwise and counterclockwise to change the direction of your vehicle. Is it asking too much for you to use a teeny tiny little finger to tap the turn signal? And not AFTER you have made your move (love it when jerks to that), but a few seconds beforehand.
Fantastic post LEDZEP - wonderfully stated.
      03-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #44
no_exit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: R 1150 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
So, if he DID signal...then...
...he would not have gotten a ticket. It's amazing how such a small action can make such a big difference.