Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I want to get rid of the RE050s

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Pazzuzzu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SP Arctic Metallic

I want to get rid of the RE050s

Hi everyone,
I will be receiving my new 330i with sport package in early April and I want to take the Bridgestone RE050a Run-Flats off in favor of a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I live in the Montreal area. The dealer won't swap them. Is there anybody who knows a tire shop that would give me a decent price for them, if I buy the Michelins there?

So far OK TIRE say no. I would sell them over the net but shipping will be difficult.

any ideas?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Sell the original tires on eBay and buy the new ones from tirerack.com or edgeracing.com

Both places have great prices. You'll also get more from eBay. Remember you'll need a spare or a slime/mobility kit.

Also, if you're leasing, you'll need to return the car with the original rims and same tire (RFT) specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazzuzzu
Hi everyone,
I will be receiving my new 330i with sport package in early April and I want to take the Bridgestone RE050a Run-Flats off in favor of a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I live in the Montreal area. The dealer won't swap them. Is there anybody who knows a tire shop that would give me a decent price for them, if I buy the Michelins there?

So far OK TIRE say no. I would sell them over the net but shipping will be difficult.

any ideas?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You know, the Pilot Sports are good tires but there are even better. Check out the Car & Driver article on performance tires. They even tested the tires using an E90!

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252
      02-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

I agree, but remember one thing about this test - they were testing for performance and not for comfort, all-season performance or noise levels. They state this clearly in the article. In fact, they deliberately excluded all-season tires as a result.

For many people in this forum, the tests were an excellent gauge. For me they were less useful. I use my car to drive to and from work, and weekend trips/errands. I don't drive like Ayrton Senna or Nigel Mansell, or take my car on the track, so performance is less important to me than comfort, noise and treadwear. It's still very important - but just less so than those other factors. That's why I didn't put too much stock in these test results. Instead, I used the reviews on 1010tires.com and Tirerack.com. I have more faith in those test results.

Just my two cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
You know, the Pilot Sports are good tires but there are even better. Check out the Car & Driver article on performance tires. They even tested the tires using an E90!

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Hi everyone,

any ideas?

thanks
Try Canada Tire (on Mountainsights). There is also a Montreal members thread on the Local forums (under Canada). Goodluck.

There is also a shop on St. Jacques (forgot the name now) - West of Cavendish on the south side. Merson Tire Shop - just remembered the name-they have a good selection and a can-do attitude.

As for the advice on slime kits - go any Canadian Tire store and a tire inflation kit with a silicone-based filler - will not damage the inside of the rim.

The advice about returning the car with runflats if you lease is valid. If you do lease, I recommend you keep the OEM tires and put them on at the end of the lease. If you buy, on trade-in to dealer (if you do that ) they will requrie that the car have runflats as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

You can sell the tires easily right here. I know of plenty of people (including myself) who are in the market for 162's (bmwwheels.com) and need RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Pazzuzzu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
You can sell the tires easily right here. I know of plenty of people (including myself) who are in the market for 162's (bmwwheels.com) and need RFT's.
Jeeze...thanks for all the ideas guys.

ARMEN52, I did see the C&D Tire test and I am skeptical about the F1 from GoodYear. I had a set of Toyo Proxes T1S (which is a similar tread)on my 2004 TL and when they aent lower than 6/32 of treadwear they made a huming noise since the wear pattern resembled fishscale and cause vibration. That deep V pattern worries me.

MATT 330i, you are correct, TIRERACK has excellent comparos and 1010Tires but TIRERACK actually did the test for (commissioned by) C&D complete with their (TIRERACK) test mule 2006 E90 with 17s.

I like to push my car at every possible moment and the PS2 came out pretty good in that test. However the test was done with 17" mags and that in no way garrantees the same performance hierarchy for 18" mags...could be the same...could be different.

Thanks BIMMERISTA for the leads on possible "take back" retailers I will try them out.

VOLTRON 1011, how would I ship tires to Las Vegas...do you know a thread where I could put them for sale.

Thanks so much for the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Pazzuzzu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Jeeze...thanks for all the ideas guys.

ARMEN52, I did see the C&D Tire test and I am skeptical about the F1 from GoodYear. I had a set of Toyo Proxes T1S (which is a similar tread)on my 2004 TL and when they aent lower than 6/32 of treadwear they made a huming noise since the wear pattern resembled fishscale and cause vibration. That deep V pattern worries me.

MATT 330i, you are correct, TIRERACK has excellent comparos and 1010Tires but TIRERACK actually did the test for (commissioned by) C&D complete with their (TIRERACK) test mule 2006 E90 with 17s.

I like to push my car at every possible moment and the PS2 came out pretty good in that test. However the test was done with 17" mags and that in no way garrantees the same performance hierarchy for 18" mags...could be the same...could be different.

Thanks BIMMERISTA for the leads on possible "take back" retailers I will try them out.

VOLTRON 1011, how would I ship tires to Las Vegas...do you know a thread where I could put them for sale.

Thanks so much for the input.
Actually, the leasing thing is an important consideration, although I don't mind taking a hit when I turn the car back, will probably sell for "buyback" value before the end of the lease, as I am doing with my 2004 TL. When I saw the pictures of the E90 and test drove it three times...I had to change ...the rest is history.

I intend to carry a Canadian Tire kit for tire leak repair c/w compressor. Although a space saver would probably fit in the trunk...?
Appreciate 0