bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-25-2024, 02:48 PM   #1
Prince Thundernight.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

iDrive 8 Screen Ambient Light

So I did a thing.

Multi color, as bright or a dim as I want.
Just installed and it may be too bright right now. I’ll go for a drive when it gets dark.
Attached Images

06-26-2024, 03:51 AM   #2
jammy8911
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Can I ask what you used & briefly how you did it?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2024, 07:07 AM   #3
J-RO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy8911 View Post
Can I ask what you used & briefly how you did it?
Information that would have been helpful in the initial post.
Appreciate 1
Pentland2083.50
      06-26-2024, 10:20 AM   #4
Prince Thundernight.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Yeah, I was always going to do a write up—just getting my photos and thoughts together.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805916953808.html

So initially, on the center console, I pulled off the USB module, the aluminum trims and gear shifter surround, so that I’d be able to route the cable to the USB C outlet (under the armrest).

I then fed the cable down from the armrest storage, through the center console, down into the driver’s side footwell.

From here I ran the cable horizontally, and pushed it up under the console plastic, until the cable got to the area under the steering wheel. I fed the cable up, under and across, below the steering wheel, routing it into gaps and behind plastic panels. Then I ran the cable up. All this I did initially to make sure the cable was long enough.

I then moved onto the light strip, which I cut to the length I needed—measure your screen! Be aware though: the the screen is beveled on the back on the passenger side, so you can’t run the light strip all the way or your passenger will easily see it!

Using the self-adhesive tape, I stuck the light strip to the back, lower edge of the screen. I used several (non-marring) angled trim tools to help to position and stick the strip.

The end of the strip at the driver’s side has the wire and a connector. Here it is impossible to hide the wire, as the screen ‘floats’. Short of removing the screen and feeding the wire down through the dash, there really is no way around this. So I ran the wire down, and then into a panel gap. Join the connectors of the wire from the center console and the light strip, and plug in the USB. LIGHT!

The kit comes with a USB A to USB C adapter, but I bought an angled one from Amazon. I also had to modify the cutout on my aftermarket storage tray.

The kit also comes with a remote (but no battery!) and an app. So many settings to choose from—multi-colored chasing lights; sound-activated lights. I just wanted a purple to match the rest of the car.

The light stays on for a few minutes after you lock the car.

I imagine there’d be a way to hard wire this to a fuse, which would of course mean losing the USB plug-in receiver. If anyone can figure this, then let us know!
Attached Images

Last edited by Prince Thundernight.; 06-26-2024 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 5