BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-15-2024, 12:12 PM   #1
Bryce313
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

G87 coilovers: Ohlins vs. KW

I haven’t seen any posts comparing true coilover upgrades. I’m particularly interested in hearing from the race community about your experiences and opinions on the coilover options out there

I’m particularly interested in Ohlins and KW. Has anyone tried these? Or better yet, has anyone compared them?
Appreciate 2
BradMX5348.00
C1gna28.50
      08-15-2024, 01:16 PM   #2
ZPD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce313 View Post
I haven’t seen any posts comparing true coilover upgrades. I’m particularly interested in hearing from the race community about your experiences and opinions on the coilover options out there

I’m particularly interested in Ohlins and KW. Has anyone tried these? Or better yet, has anyone compared them?
I am assuming that you are talking about the KW V3, both the Ohlins R&T and the KW V3 are mid-range coilover systems. The rear is divorced so they are not technically a coilover but that is splitting hairs. I think that they both only have one adjustment that adjusts rebound and compression but not independently. These are a good option for someone who wants something a little better than stock or a HAS and might see the track once in a while. They are in the $3000 range.
To step up to a true coilover meant for the track check out MCS or JRZ. They are rebuildable and have remote canisters. They can be 2, 3, or 4-way. All the adjustments are under the hood or in the trunk except for my rear rebound. They are not cheap though.

Nitron and KW V4/V5 are some other options. Nitron is developing a system that uses the car's EDC to make some (or all?) of the adjustments and I think KW still uses a divorced setup and the adjustments are by the wheel. I don't know much about them to be honest.

Here is a link to the MCS 3-ways that I installed on my G87:
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2081879

Last edited by ZPD; 08-15-2024 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 01:16 PM   #3
LeggoRacing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

KW is more of a street coilover unless you spring for their higher end versions. Ohlins would be a better choice between the two. Really comes down to your use case. If a fun street car either would be suitable A friend had kw v3 on his g80. Rode great on street but overall was too soft for track and bent one of the struts/piston as they’re much thinner than others. He repaired and replaced with MCs 3 ways

If mostly track car I’d spring for a real motorsports setup - nitron , jrz ,MCS, etc. more cost but more reliability. A lot of factors at play around this.
Appreciate 0