BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Photos / Videos / Builds / Journals

03-23-2024, 01:48 AM   #1
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

So I figured I'd start this build thread for posterity sake cause that's the cool thing to do right? I don't update stuff very often so idk how much I'll actually post here but whatever.

So this is my first dabble in the German side of automobiles, I've been a JDM guy for a long time. I had a 370z with full bolt ons, suspension and brake upgrades with carbon fiber Status seats. That was my baby, lost it in a divorce along with everything else. I helped start and grow the Central Florida Z Club from 50 members in 2013 to the 2500 members it has today, and I've worked on probably over 100 Z's, G's and Q's. I'm no master mechanic, but I've got a decent amount of wrenching experience.

After that I had a full bolt on AWD Infiniti Q60 making around 450hp/490tq that was pretty fun, that was my first time owning a boosted car so I learned a lot from it, mostly that the VR30 is finicky and unreliable as hell after having to replace the stock turbos like so many other people after 40k miles. Sold that to a friend of mine and still get to see it sometimes.

Beginning of 2023 I got the itch for a new car, something to replace the 370 I had lost. I had been waiting to see what Nissan was gonna do with the new Z Nismo, I swore that if it was anything more than 20hp and a body kit upgrade from the regular one I'd jump all over it. Reworked motor, AWD, the GTR DCT, ANYTHING to make it stand head and shoulders above the normal Z and I'd be ok spending the extra money. Well, they finally released it... 20hp and a body kit, along with a $65k price tag. Pissed me off. Never thought I'd be straying from the Nissan/Infiniti brand, but my BMW enthusiast buddy started hyping up the new S58 and the more I looked at this new M2, the more I was hooked. Ended up getting a build allocation from the local dealership and waiting an entire YEAR and here we are, white M2 with the CF package. I thought about doing black like my Q but it was such a pain in the ass to keep clean and my old Z was white, so I went with that. I'm a sucker for white with black accents.

Anyway, I was trying to decide what to call this car, the Z was The Mistress but nothing was coming to mind for the M2. I was talking with a friend one day and they're like "man you must get all the bitches with that new car!" I explained to him that I haven't gotten a single look from the ladies in it, but I can't get gas at the gas station without a guy coming over and asking questions about it. I realized it's not a panty dropper, it's a boxer dropper, and thus the name was born 🤣

I took possession of this thing January 12th 24 which is funny because that's the day I picked up my 370z, 1/12/12. The car stayed stock less than 48 hours. KWv3s where all the rage in the Nissan world so I went with what I knew and got the IND Essential Kit with the KW HAS springs. A buddy of mine is a professional detailer so we did a stage 1 paint correction and ceramic coat which looks gorgeous, gave the paint slightly more color depth and a real shine to it.

Next up was wheels. This is always a struggle for me, I had 4-5 sets I was in love with and couldn't afford to do the 2 piece wheels I wanted the most. The track driver side of me won out and I went with lightweight forged wheels from VT Forged in a light blue color. Andy is an awesome guy btw, super great to work with.

So that's where everything sits now, waiting on the wheels to show up. Once that's done, I'll get the final ride height dialed in, do a lip, diffuser and spoiler, and then a DME unlock with DP/exhaust/tune. After that? Who knows. I'll update here as I go. Until then, y'all stay safe. Say hi down below if you like, I always like making new car friends.
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
      03-25-2024, 03:13 PM   #2
Smilodon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Well, you are local to my neck of the woods. Hope to see your M2 out driving around! My first German car as well.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 07:53 PM   #3
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep

Just got the pics of the new wheels from Andy at VTForged and I have to say, I can't wait to get these things on there. The color is brighter than I was thinking they were gonna be, but I love em. Another 3-4 weeks and I should have em. I'll be using the stock tires for now and then running something stickier in like. 285/35 305/30 size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-05-2024, 07:55 PM   #4
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
Well, you are local to my neck of the woods. Hope to see your M2 out driving around! My first German car as well.
Oh hey there! Where you located at?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 10:15 PM   #5
DriveWithDray
Jedi Knight
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C & 600LT

I was about to order blue wheels for my white M2 but went with white instead!

Looking forward to seeing those beauties I. Your car!
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 02:46 PM   #6
clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehuck View Post
I haven't gotten a single look from the ladies in it, but I can't get gas at the gas station without a guy coming over and asking questions about it. I realized it's not a panty dropper, it's a boxer dropper, and thus the name was born 🤣
lmao I thought, "surely he means dropping Porsche's or Subaru's or something"

hahahahahahaha
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2024, 09:38 PM   #7
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
lmao I thought, "surely he means dropping Porsche's or Subaru's or something"

hahahahahahaha
that's what I thought too

Btw- if you decide to track the M2 it will confirm your decision to switch. I have never been passed by Nissan or Infiniti.
      04-16-2024, 02:22 AM   #8
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPD View Post
that's what I thought too

Btw- if you decide to track the M2 it will confirm your decision to switch. I have never been passed by Nissan or Infiniti.
It makes me sad cause I've been a Nissan Infiniti guy for a long time, and I met a lot of awesome people with those rides and gained a lot of mechanical knowledge with them. But Nissan as a company has their head up their ass and the new Z is just sort of an afterthought to them. They stopped making fun cars a while back
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16581.00
      04-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #9
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I too was a Z guy. Had my 07 HR for a while, did the whole Volk, carbon fiber body kit, coilovers, yada yada yada. What's insane is that Nissan/Infiniti used to actually make a BMW competitor in the G35/Z33. Then it all fell apart. The new Z is so sad, just a bunch of clumped together parts off of a 20+ year old platform back when they worked with Renault. I get that times are tough for Nissan but the new Z could have been something amazing had they threw money into it sadly.
///M TOWN16581.00
      04-17-2024, 07:51 PM   #10
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I too was a Z guy. Had my 07 HR for a while, did the whole Volk, carbon fiber body kit, coilovers, yada yada yada. What's insane is that Nissan/Infiniti used to actually make a BMW competitor in the G35/Z33. Then it all fell apart. The new Z is so sad, just a bunch of clumped together parts off of a 20+ year old platform back when they worked with Renault. I get that times are tough for Nissan but the new Z could have been something amazing had they threw money into it sadly.
My thoughts exactly. I waited so long holding my breath to see something awesome and then they came out with that. Then I said ok, if the Nismo is a big upgrade from the base model I'll get that instead. $20k more and you get the same stuff as the last Nismo, 20hp and a body kit with a few other little things. That's when I started looking around at other options.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16581.00
      04-18-2024, 10:45 AM   #11
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I waited so long holding my breath to see something awesome and then they came out with that. Then I said ok, if the Nismo is a big upgrade from the base model I'll get that instead. $20k more and you get the same stuff as the last Nismo, 20hp and a body kit with a few other little things. That's when I started looking around at other options.
The 350Z NISMO was sort of cool because it looked like a JGTC race car and cost like $7K more than my Enthusiast spec car. This new one though, jeeze what a let down. The whole car is a let down, no standard LSD on the base model? It's 2024 and you're building a performance car, come on Nissan. And the NISMO is a joke, a performance car that doesn't perform and comes with a slow shifting slushbox.
///M TOWN16581.00
      04-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #12
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
The 350Z NISMO was sort of cool because it looked like a JGTC race car and cost like $7K more than my Enthusiast spec car. This new one though, jeeze what a let down. The whole car is a let down, no standard LSD on the base model? It's 2024 and you're building a performance car, come on Nissan. And the NISMO is a joke, a performance car that doesn't perform and comes with a slow shifting slushbox.
I'll give it to them that the motor has some potential (not S58-level potential but) with bolt ons, fuel upgrades, some cooling and a tune and you're at 550ish HP, with the Z1 turbo upgrade your at 600-630hp and decent torque, but by then you've spent 15k-20k in parts and install at least.

The Nismo could have been so much more, but yeah they've let it die. It's been years since Nissan was concerned with making an actually competitive performance car. Good r the price point there's multiple options that blow the Nismo out of the water and that's sad. I've been a Nissan guy for almost 20 years now.
Appreciate 2
Bumpinjeep5532.50
///M TOWN16581.00
      04-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #13
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
I'll give it to them that the motor has some potential (not S58-level potential but) with bolt ons, fuel upgrades, some cooling and a tune and you're at 550ish HP, with the Z1 turbo upgrade your at 600-630hp and decent torque, but by then you've spent 15k-20k in parts and install at least.

The Nismo could have been so much more, but yeah they've let it die. It's been years since Nissan was concerned with making an actually competitive performance car. Good r the price point there's multiple options that blow the Nismo out of the water and that's sad. I've been a Nissan guy for almost 20 years now.
After what they did to Carlos Ghosen I hope they die a slow and painful death ☠️