01-09-2024, 10:40 PM   #1
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

Want video options on ID8?

I did some digging and found this...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A

Its a box that connects wirelessly to the ID8 and emulates carplay signal. It has a sim card slot if u want to add to ur wireless carrier plan. Would suggest grabbing an IMEI from a tablet with 4 or 5G and I am almost certain you can spoof the IMEI on this box so ur not paying by the GB. Hotspots they charge by GB and I think this would be considered a hotspot device. It might also connect to ur hotspot on ur phone (I cant because I have old grandfathered TMO plan and only get 3g speeds on hotspot mode or tether) or in the car if you have the ESIM option. Personally I have a 5G hotspot that VPNs automatically to my house network and I use the FIOS app and I dont have a problem watching any channels I pay for. Im sure u could also sideload other apps to this box as its basically an Android TV box or similar and it should take APKs. Im ordering one and gunna mess with it and report back my findings and what works and what doesnt. You can watch while driving or parked. Im gunna try Plex, Netflix, DPlus, Amazon Prime Video, FIOS TV, etc. You can probably sideload ur CCTV app and watch ur cams on ur idrive.

The ID8 lets us use multiple phones at the same time but only AA or ACP at once. So you can have ur phone paired to the ID8 in BMW BT mode and this device in CP mode. And when not using just shut off and ur Iphone should go back into ACP mode. If not you can go to mobiles and tell it to use ur Iphone for CP. Just read you can connect as AA or CP mode. But still cant use this box in AA mode and ur Iphone in CP mode at same time.

Last edited by shatty; 01-09-2024 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
T4dey67.00
      01-16-2024, 07:20 PM   #2
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

Got it today. F'in awesome! But take note: Only way to connect the box to internet is with a 4g/5g sim card. Its only 4g hardware but it should be sufficient. I played a 4k movie thru plex and it looked SO CLEAR on ID8 but there are frame drops. But its better than nothing. When getting sim card from carrier, tell them its for Android tablet so u get unlimited data. If u tell them its for a hotspot u will pay ber GB above your allowance. It doesnt tell IMEI number on the unit but there is an Engineering Mode setting but asks for code. Im trying to find out what it is. But def recommend for those who went to ID8 from ID7 or want video on ID8. I installed FIOS TV, Plex, Wireguard VPN, Prime Video apps. Right from play store. Didnt try Wireguard VPN app yet but need that for FIOS TV to get every channel u pay for so it connects to ur home network and not just channels you would get on ur phone when ur away from home. Box has great interface and OTA updates. Upgrade to Android 12 soon they said. But firmware is recent. 11/2023. And touchscreen and dial works flawlessly. Also has Chrome built in. Easy to navigate when car isnt moving. Has VLC player built in so you can put movies on Micro SD card and play them thru VLC if you dont wanna use sim card.