BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

12-24-2023, 06:58 AM   #1
jamstonmartames
Rep
Drives: g87 m2

Driving Assist Retrofit - G87 Manual - not available in UK

First post so bear with me folks... coming from the VAG group, the BMW electronics platform seem to be a lot more logical. The same cannot be said for how the option lists are put together.

For those of you still in need of a blind spot function that's an option for other markets NA,MEA,SA and RHD countries like Japan and Australia, the UK & Ireland market have been left out The UK&I Market does however come with Lane Assist as standard.

Active Cruise I can understand that there are risks with a manual gearbox, however VAG cars came with this option in a manual from the 12's - 20's without stop and go. It just prompted you to shift in the dashboard when needed.

This is an IN PROGRESS guide to exploring the parts and wiring before comitting to buying the parts. To cover the predictable comments heading my way....eg "waste of money and waste of time", "buy an auto", "if you want the closest to an analogue car, then why?" please leave this at the door.

What I will appreciate is people who are intrigued, curious and also helping others who might want to explore this as an option. Also anyone who has this specc'ed already on their UK car, would you mind helping narrow down the parts for the UK spec as there are a few options (whether parts supersessions or UK/EU law specific parts for radar frequencies etc.)

One rumour I've come across and the wiring diagrams would support this, BMW seem to use the same wiring harness for pretty much every variant of a car. If this is true, you have no idea how much less pain this means to any retrofit exercise. The opposite is true of VAG cars.

So to begin......

Option Codes / S Codes / PR Codes?? Still working out BMW's nomenclature->
  • S[2MA]A Manual Transmission
  • S[5AS]A Driving Assistant
  • S[5AV]A Active Guard
  • S[5DF]A Active cruise control+stop&go function
    Sub Categories:
  • S[ZN1]A Active Blind Spot Detection
  • S[ZN3]A Frontal Collision Warning w/ City Collision Mitigation
  • S[ZN4]A Lane Departure Warning

ACC Active cruise control I'm in two minds with, given if the car wants to slow down, being stuck in 6th could be problematic. Stop and Go won't be something we can have coded in either. So either there is a hardware variant without Stop'n'go or it can be coded out.

from BMWUKriving Assistant is a camera-based driver assistance system consisting of:

- Lane change warning with active return: monitors the zones to each side of the vehicle, detects vehicles in the "blind spot" with a flashing symbol in the exterior mirror.
- Approach control warning and person warning with city braking function
- Rear crossing traffic warning with additional real-image display and brake intervention.
- Rear collision prevention, which detects the threat of rear collisions via rear sensors and warns the traffic behind via the hazard warning lights.
- Speed Limit info with no-overtaking indicator and manual Speed Limit Assist.

Parts:

Blind Spot Monitors X 2 - 3 options (maybe specific to each market?) I don't know what Z or AE is? rest of world? AE-America/Europe?
  • 66 32 5 A6D B55 Radar sensor short range AE
  • 66 32 5 A7A 559 Radar sensor short range Z
  • 66 32 5 A84 CF7 Radar sensor short range

Mirror Electronics - 4 Options - Hilfe?

67 13 5 A3D B17 Mirror electronics, left
67 13 5 A3D B18 Mirror electronics, right

67 13 5 A3D B21 Mirror electronics, left
67 13 5 A3D B22 Mirror electronics, right

67 13 5 A3D B23 Mirror electronics, left
67 13 5 A3D B24 Mirror electronics, right

67 13 5 A3D B25 Mirror electronics, left
67 13 5 A3D B26 Mirror electronics, right

Mirrors with LED Warning Lights 2 options -> Unlike VAG - These don't appear to be specific to RHD or LHD?

51 16 5 A07 758 Mirror glass, heated, wide-angle, right
51 16 5 A07 757 Mirror glass, heated, wide-angle, left

51 16 9 492 755 Mirror glass, heated, wide-angle, left
51 16 5 A07 758 Mirror glass, heated, wide-angle, right

Front Active Cruise Control Sensor
  • 66 31 5 A78 599 Front radar sensor For vehicles with Active guard plus and Active cruise control+stop&go function
  • 66 31 7 883 164 Rear Bracket front radar sensor
  • 66 31 6 883 738 Front Bracket front radar sensor
  • 07 14 6 999 225 Oval-head screw/washer assembly x 2

Steering Wheel Control Unit 4 versions...naturally...for what looks to be the same functionality.

61 31 7 857 779 Control unit, steering wheel electronics For vehicles with Steering wheel heater. Lane change warning, Driving Assistant & Driving Assistant Plus
61 31 7 857 780 Control unit, steering wheel electronics For vehicles with Steering wheel heater. Lane change warning, Driving Assistant & Driving Assistant Plus
61 31 7 857 781 Control unit, steering wheel electronics For vehicles with Steering wheel heater. Lane change warning, Driving Assistant & Driving Assistant Plus
61 31 7 857 782 Control unit, steering wheel electronics For vehicles with Steering wheel heater. Lane change warning, Driving Assistant & Driving Assistant Plus

Steering Wheel Switches/Buttons

61 31 5 A58 7A5 Switch MFL For vehicles with Active cruise control+stop&go function
61 31 5 A58 7A6 Switch MFL For vehicles with Active cruise control+stop&go function

The KAFAS Camera (Lane Assist) x 4 variants - I think the standard one we get will be fine.

66 51 5 A7E 4D1 Variant: ZE For vehicles with Active guard plus,Driving Assistant, Active Guard and Active cruise control+stop&go function
66 51 5 A7F 035 Variant: Z For vehicles with Active guard plus,Driving Assistant, Active Guard and Active cruise control+stop&go function
66 51 5 A97 A01 Variant: Z For vehicles with Active guard plus,Driving Assistant, Active Guard and Active cruise control+stop&go function
66 51 5 A97 A00 For vehicles with Active guard plus,Driving Assistant, Active Guard and Active cruise control+stop&go function

ABS/ Wheel Speed Sensors - Unknown if change required?

Brake Control Unit- Unknown if change required?
34 50 9 500 026 Control unit SAS - For vehicles with Driving assistant professional
16 13 1 176 747 Plastic nut for coarse threaded pin
34 50 6 882 544 Holder
34 50 6 882 545 Holder

It's not difficult to make your own harness, but I am wondering how much of the existing harness will already have the connectors but just coded out.

for those that may just want to buy in a harness....

Rear Bumper Cable Sets - Unknown if change required?

61 11 5 A55 C73 Repair cable set rear
61 12 5 A4C A12 Cable set rear bumper

Front Bumper Cable Sets - Unknown if change required?

61 12 5 A4C 925 Wiring harness front end
61 12 5 A4C 9B4 Cable set front bumper

WIRING - Work in Progress

Component IDs

B465 - Front Radar Sensor
B149B - Rear Right Radar Sensor (BSM)
B150B - Rear Left Radar Sensor (BSM)
A29_A - Driver Mirror LED
A73_A - Passenger Mirror LED
F209 - Fuse for BlindSpot Monitor Side Assist
F208 - Fuse for ACC - Front Radar - Active cruise - > may also be shared with lane assist?
F67 and F68 used for Exterior Mirrors but no adjustment looks required. Maybe a bigger fuse once installed?

CODING in E-SYS - Still familiarising myself but having done this on vag cars, my first guess is the below modules:

Gateway? Add in the BSM and ACC modules?
ABS ? Tell the Brake ECU that the above are installed?
Cluster/Kombi - Tell the Cluster that the above have been installed?
Suspension -
Existing Cruise control -
Steering Wheel -
Start Stop Module -
Rear View Camera - for RCTA enablement
Parking Assistant - for RCTA enablement
Infotainment -
Lane Assist -
Transmission -
AirBag -
Central Electrics
Engine -> to prevent Stop & Go?
BCM - Determine the CAN and add where appropriate.

and Code the actual ACC and BSM modules themselves?

I'll post the coding in due time.

It's probably worth mentioning my car is in transit, so until it arrives, there may be a delay on the updates

Please feel free to chip in or flag anything else that may help the common cause

Last edited by jamstonmartames; 12-24-2023 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      12-27-2023, 06:21 AM   #2
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

The most important thing is to figure out the options coding of each of the module that is required to support ACC. Camera, radar, instrument cluster, engine controller, idrive, steering controls and the brake controller.

This may be an impossible task if for example the ACC control unit expects the transmission to provide gear information as "D" (drive) to activate ACC which is not possible in a manual unless you create a proxy module to duplicate the automatic transmission messages.

1st step would be to understand what is needed to retrofit ACC on an automatic g87 without the ACC option from factory. That can give some definitive actions towards the goal.

Not to discourage you, but this seems too long shot to be worth the time.

Last edited by xps; 12-27-2023 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:02 AM   #3
jamstonmartames
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
The most important thing is to figure out the options coding of each of the module that is required to support ACC. Camera, radar, instrument cluster, engine controller, idrive, steering controls and the brake controller.

This may be an impossible task if for example the ACC control unit expects the transmission to provide gear information as "D" (drive) to activate ACC which is not possible in a manual unless you create a proxy module to duplicate the automatic transmission messages.

1st step would be to understand what is needed to retrofit ACC on an automatic g87 without the ACC option from factory. That can give some definitive actions towards the goal.

Not to discourage you, but this seems too long shot to be worth the time.

Thanks for the input. To be clear it's not just the ACC I'm looking at, it's the wider scope of work on Blind Spot Monitors and RCTA which is currently a combination permitted (with a manual transmission) everywhere in the world apart from the UK.

On the ACC specifically though, you are right in what you've suggested, but I do love an experiment. it's about the journey not the destination.

Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:38 AM   #4
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstonmartames View Post
Thanks for the input. To be clear it's not just the ACC I'm looking at, it's the wider scope of work on Blind Spot Monitors and RCTA which is currently a combination permitted (with a manual transmission) everywhere in the world apart from the UK.

On the ACC specifically though, you are right in what you've suggested, but I do love an experiment. it's about the journey not the destination.

Will keep you posted.
Good to hear. Looking forward 👌
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:55 AM   #5
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Apart from the hardware some functions require activation files. These mostly cant be obtained.
Here are some of the FSC list
AppID 330(0x14A) - Lane depature warning
AppID 331(0x14B) - Speed limit info
AppID 332(0x14C) - Pedestrian protection, rear-end warner
AppID 333(0x14D) - HIGH LDW - Lane Departure Warning (Spurverlassenswarnung )
AppID 334(0x14E) - HIGH SLI - Speed Limit Info
AppID 335(0x14F) - HIGH CCM - City Collision Mitigation
AppID 336(0x150) - HIGH WWA - Wrong Way Assist (High Assist Premium)
AppID 429(0x1AD) - HIGH VFW - Visual Front Warning - (VFW GiveWayWarner)
AppID 432(0x1B0) - HIGH FLA - High Beam Assistant (G07 Only ?)
AppID 433(0x1B1) - High-beam assistant
AppID 447(0x1BF) - Road evenness identification
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 01:15 AM   #6
jamstonmartames
Rep

Ok, So I have my wiring diagrams at the ready but TheNine90 has made me realise that if this is like FPA codes on VW (not to be confused with SFD) then we may need some artistic licence a little later down the line.

xps for awareness on file hunting can you confirm I've understood the naming conventions for file types below:

.swfl - Software File
.caf - ??
.cafd - ??
.ncd - ??
.fa - Firmware File
.fafp - ??
.0da - Parameter Files
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 08:07 AM   #7
jamstonmartames
Rep

X3 lessons to G87

avi66

Did you end up fixing lane assist to your car in the end?
Appreciate 0