home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

03-07-2024, 07:31 AM   #45
dmr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G87

Weird, that's not been my experience. It uses HTTPS with a self-signed certificate, and you can change the default wifi password.

Checked the online user guide, it looks out of date.

You can turn wifi off by holding down OPTION again.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-07-2024, 09:52 AM   #46
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreet_mayor View Post
Weird, that's not been my experience. It uses HTTPS with a self-signed certificate, and you can change the default wifi password.

Checked the online user guide, it looks out of date.

You can turn wifi off by holding down OPTION again.
It may just be the online guide being out of date or incomplete, but worth running Wireshark or similar to confirm the device is actually secure.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:57 AM   #47
dmr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
It may just be the online guide being out of date or incomplete, but worth running Wireshark or similar to confirm the device is actually secure.
So I checked, it's encrypted, using TLS 1.2.

Now to configure it so I am ready to take the car out of storage in April!
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      03-22-2024, 11:54 AM   #48
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreet_mayor View Post
So I checked, it's encrypted, using TLS 1.2.

Now to configure it so I am ready to take the car out of storage in April!
But its not currently for sale and they are looking for alpha testers. Seems like a great idea to me (sarcasm intended).
      03-22-2024, 01:18 PM   #49
M2Jorge
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelias@outlook.com View Post
I own a G87 M2 built prior to 7/01/2023. That means it has the older I-Drive controller.
My m2 is also made prior to 07/01/23 but didn’t know they made any changes. What do the newer ones have now or how does it look like?

Last edited by M2Jorge; 03-22-2024 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-23-2024, 06:17 AM   #50
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC87ZB View Post
But its not currently for sale and they are looking for alpha testers. Seems like a great idea to me (sarcasm intended).
Hi! canDO+ will be back in stock within the next couple of weeks.

You're right that "Alpha" isn't confidence inspiring (we have adjusted language to make this clearer). The device is fully functional, what we need is some help building our CAN database for as many different models as possible.

Stef
P.S.: The G87 version is a production release, fwiw.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 11:20 PM   #51
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canDO_Stef View Post
Hi! canDO+ will be back in stock within the next couple of weeks.

You're right that "Alpha" isn't confidence inspiring (we have adjusted language to make this clearer). The device is fully functional, what we need is some help building our CAN database for as many different models as possible.

Stef
P.S.: The G87 version is a production release, fwiw.
How much is the device?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:02 AM   #52
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
How much is the device?
Hi! canDO+ retails for CAD$300.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:28 PM   #53
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi! canDO+ retails for CAD$300.
When can I buy one! ツ
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:35 AM   #54
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When can I buy one! ツ
Hi! We should be stocked by EOW, early next week at the latest!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:42 AM   #55
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Hi! We should be stocked by EOW, early next week at the latest!
Looks quite interesting, can it modulate the exhaust flaps as part of a macro as well? I.e. I start my car and it puts everything in Sport, pulls up sport displays and opens flaps? (don't have the car yet, just a made up scenario but likely how I'd use it).

Also - is there a way to turn it off easily when car goes in for service? I'm assuming the car won't log anything weird that the dealer could pick up on, and don't want to have to unplug the unit either, digging into the dash, every time. I guess if it had to be unplugged a switch could be installed to cut power to it

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:59 PM   #56
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

I started to order but didn't see anything clearly laying install/removal.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:34 PM   #57
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
Looks quite interesting, can it modulate the exhaust flaps as part of a macro as well? I.e. I start my car and it puts everything in Sport, pulls up sport displays and opens flaps? (don't have the car yet, just a made up scenario but likely how I'd use it).

Also - is there a way to turn it off easily when car goes in for service? I'm assuming the car won't log anything weird that the dealer could pick up on, and don't want to have to unplug the unit either, digging into the dash, every time. I guess if it had to be unplugged a switch could be installed to cut power to it
Hello! Unfortunately, the exhaust flaps are on the PT CAN bus, which is separate from the KCAN bus. Technically, canDO+ could be connected to the PT CAN bus, but we haven't built a database or done any tests.

Good suggestion on "fully disabling" the device. It would be surprising for the dealership to notice anything while canDO+ is connected, but this is something we will look into supporting in a future release (which current users can upgrade to through over the air updates).
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      03-30-2024, 09:37 PM   #58
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I started to order but didn't see anything clearly laying install/removal.
Hi!

We're still working on installation collateral. We can provide basic instructions in the meantime.

Note that the install doesn't require any splicing, so the car is easily returned to stock if necessary.

Stef
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 10:03 PM   #59
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Hello! Unfortunately, the exhaust flaps are on the PT CAN bus, which is separate from the KCAN bus. Technically, canDO+ could be connected to the PT CAN bus, but we haven't built a database or done any tests.

Good suggestion on "fully disabling" the device. It would be surprising for the dealership to notice anything while canDO+ is connected, but this is something we will look into supporting in a future release (which current users can upgrade to through over the air updates).
Do the exhaust piece and you’ll sell all units you can make lol
Appreciate 5
      04-01-2024, 09:07 AM   #60
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Hi!

We're still working on installation collateral. We can provide basic instructions in the meantime.

Note that the install doesn't require any splicing, so the car is easily returned to stock if necessary.

Stef
Stef - Thank you for your replies just 1 more Question:

Would this device allow changing the auto blip setting on and off as well (manual car)? It is a setting in iDrive so I presume it is something that can be changed.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #61
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Would this device allow changing the auto blip setting on and off as well (manual car)? It is a setting in iDrive so I presume it is something that can be changed.
Hi Mr. Hankey!

We've done just about all of our development on automatic cars, so it's currently not built into the default database.

That being said, given that it is a car setting like others under canDO+ control, I feel fairly confident that it could be added in the future, and that in the meantime, canDO+ will let you sniff it out (pretty easily in this case) and add it to your custom CAN messages.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      04-01-2024, 12:39 PM   #62
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mr. Hankey!
We've done just about all of our development on automatic cars, so it's currently not built into the default database.
I have ordered one. Don't have my car yet but just from owning one of these cars in the past this will be great just for the drive settings alone.

My understanding of figuring out how to turn on or off auto-rev match with the manual transmission is that I'd have the canSPY window open, set the setting normally in the car through iDrive (on and off) and see if I can capture the message that was sent for each, and then once I know what the message was, then I can set that up into one of my associations? Does canDO+ allow me to make an action from what would then be a "custom" message?

And if the process above is correct then pretty much any messages iDrive sends (seat heaters, AC controls) are all fair game to be added to macros as well?

Finally, and I know this is weird, but is it OK if the unit isn't powered on but plugged into the CAN bus? ie can I put a remotely wired power switch on the thing to physically turn it off it without having to dig into the console and unplug it in that situation? For example the car goes in for service can I just switch it off so that the car isn't doing things that the tech isn't expecting it to (like DSC off and they are driving into the service area with slippery wet polished concrete floors)? Or can it be disabled through the WiFi connection in that instance?

I have totally hijacked this thread everyone, sorry!

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 01:22 PM   #63
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:

If it’s already something you can set, how would the device be useful in this case, what’s the use case exactly? Changing it alongside a screen change, maybe?
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      04-01-2024, 02:50 PM   #64
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
If it’s already something you can set, how would the device be useful in this case, what’s the use case exactly? Changing it alongside a screen change, maybe?
Startup. Don't have to hit ANY buttons, car just goes into the settings I want it in, what the OP was looking for in this thread. Changes the screen to sport displays. If I want DSC off or MDM Mode on I don't have to hit the button a second time it will set that as well (I will keep a 2 button press to confirm going into a DSC off mode though, that's a conscious thing I will keep). [Hopefully will] Turn off or on rev matching for downshifts. -- I could also program all of these settings to one of the M buttons so a physical thing has to be done or keep the double press for DSC off but could also change the rev matching and sport display along with the macro and not have to interact with some stupid screen. The only reason I tuned my F80 was to turn off rev matching in all drive modes. That's the kind of Gen-X ding-dong I am , but that CS tune was pretty amazing waking the F80 up on road courses, that midrange....

[Hopefully] Resets my and my passenger's temperature and HVAC controls to preset temps on startup, auto recirculate, AC on (my wife messes up her HVAC controls constantly in her X5 using the menus, expect the same to happen).

[Maybe] for those who don't like the screen going back to regular displays when you go into cruise control, going into cruise control can be a trigger to toggle the screen back to sport display.

Anything I can program to a physical button and not have to go into the iDrive system to change, I can make those changes through a macro. Theoretically can program macros to run with specific events (cruise control activated - wait 1 second then turn sport display back on).

Set it and forget it. That's what I'm looking for. Plus I love programming and tinkering, for me the price is worth the fun of figuring it out. I'm a digital guy with analog preferences...

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 04-01-2024 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
Baller145.50
      04-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #65
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Startup. Don't have to hit ANY buttons, car just goes into the settings I want it in, what the OP was looking for in this thread. Changes the screen to sport displays.
Engineering updated the firmware and released a new version yesterday which automates things even more, thanks to feedback from one of our customers. I think it's a pretty cool feature, so I'll post a vid (hope that's ok): iDrive Actions

Quote:
[Hopefully] Resets my and my passenger's temperature and HVAC controls to preset temps on startup, auto recirculate, AC on (my wife messes up her HVAC controls constantly in her X5 using the menus, expect the same to happen).
We haven't checked AC controls yet, I will pass this on to the team.

Quote:
[Maybe] for those who don't like the screen going back to regular displays when you go into cruise control, going into cruise control can be a trigger to toggle the screen back to sport display.
Unfortunately, I don't think so (to be further investigated, will also pass this on), but I believe the display is also linked to active safety features. For some reason, M Sport does not allow CC.

Quote:
Anything I can program to a physical button and not have to go into the iDrive system to change, I can make those changes through a macro. Theoretically can program macros to run with specific events (cruise control activated - wait 1 second then turn sport display back on).
Yes, and canDO+ allows you to use regular iDrive button presses, but also unlocks "touch" events and "long press" events, so that gives you even more shortcuts.

Quote:
Set it and forget it. That's what I'm looking for. Plus I love programming and tinkering, for me the price is worth the fun of figuring it out. I'm a digital guy with analog preferences...
We created canDO+ for people just like you!
Appreciate 2
Mr. Hankey1028.50
aerobod3625.50
      04-01-2024, 04:09 PM   #66
canDO_Stef
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My understanding of figuring out how to turn on or off auto-rev match with the manual transmission is that I'd have the canSPY window open, set the setting normally in the car through iDrive (on and off) and see if I can capture the message that was sent for each, and then once I know what the message was, then I can set that up into one of my associations? Does canDO+ allow me to make an action from what would then be a "custom" message?
That is the process for the vast majority of CAN messages, yes. And your custom message becomes part of your Actions database, exactly as you say.

There are hundreds of messages per second on the bus, so using canSPY, you would start recording the "chatter", which adds the devices to a blacklist, so you can more easily narrow down the events you're looking for. Once you figure out a specific ID for a device, the simplest approach is to whitelist that ID and focus only on those messages.
Appreciate 2
Mr. Hankey1028.50
Baller145.50