BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

09-03-2023, 05:29 PM   #1
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Coding Bowers and Wilkins sound profiles is a MUST!

One of my biggest disappointments with the new M2 was the sound system. HK is pretty good, but I've always owned older cars, and I've always installed good sound systems. Going to a factory sound system, even one as good as the HK, was a little underwhelming.

I heard everyone talk about coding the B&W sound profiles. I didn't think it could possibly do too much, but I thought what the heck, it's free (after my initial coding investment). I might as well try it out.

After listening to the different sound profiles I have changed my mind. This is an absolute must. I prefer the sound profile for concert or on stage. It just feels like you are more immersed. I still want more bass. I still think the tweeters could deliver more ear splitting high notes. I'll probably upgrade one day, but for now I'll stick it out with the HK until I pay off some of my recently procured debt.
Appreciate 3
DBV778.50
      09-04-2023, 09:25 AM   #2
txmav
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i (sold); 2022 X5; 2022 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
One of my biggest disappointments with the new M2 was the sound system. HK is pretty good, but I've always owned older cars, and I've always installed good sound systems. Going to a factory sound system, even one as good as the HK, was a little underwhelming.

I heard everyone talk about coding the B&W sound profiles. I didn't think it could possibly do too much, but I thought what the heck, it's free (after my initial coding investment). I might as well try it out.

After listening to the different sound profiles I have changed my mind. This is an absolute must. I prefer the sound profile for concert or on stage. It just feels like you are more immersed. I still want more bass. I still think the tweeters could deliver more ear splitting high notes. I'll probably upgrade one day, but for now I'll stick it out with the HK until I pay off some of my recently procured debt.
That sounds really promising. I am a long-time owner of several BMW's, but I have never tried coding any of them.

What do you mean by your "initial coding investment"? Is it easy to recover if you screw something up?

Thanks for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #3
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmav View Post
What do you mean by your "initial coding investment"? Is it easy to recover if you screw something up?
I had to buy the OBDII plug and I paid $50 for the app. After that there is no additional cost to coding additional features.

I have never screwed anything up, and I don't think you as long as you stay out of the advanced mode, but I think the app makes backups as you code new things. I am not very experienced though. This is my first time playing with coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 04:18 AM   #4
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:

Did you use Bimmercode? Regular coding menus for G87? -- I have the app and I've used it on my G20, and G05 with great success.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 04:30 AM   #5
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
Did you use Bimmercode? Regular coding menus for G87? — I have the app and I've used it on my G20, and G05 with great success.
Yes, Bimmercode. Regular coding menus for 3 series.
Appreciate 1
DBV778.50
      09-05-2023, 08:17 AM   #6
txmav
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had to buy the OBDII plug and I paid $50 for the app. After that there is no additional cost to coding additional features.

I have never screwed anything up, and I don't think you as long as you stay out of the advanced mode, but I think the app makes backups as you code new things. I am not very experienced though. This is my first time playing with coding.
Thanks. Is the OBDII plug something that you can get on Amazon? I have another BMW...can I use the same plug for both cars or does it need to stay plugged into the car that you program?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:22 AM   #7
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Thanks. Is the OBDII plug something that you can get on Amazon? I have another BMW...can I use the same plug for both cars or does it need to stay plugged into the car that you program?
There is one designed to Bimmercode and that's what I got. You only need one. You can use it on multiple cars.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAIQDA&adurl=
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
In the software/app, it gives you multiple options for what connector to use. Some make it easier, others have less functionality/connectivity with the difference vehicle modules. Don't skimp on the connector. I go back and forth between my cars with the app and connector, and have helped several friends code their BMWs with it as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 06:39 AM   #9
txmav
Private
Rep

Thanks for all of your advice. I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:55 AM   #10
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
There is one designed to Bimmercode and that's what I got. You only need one. You can use it on multiple cars.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAIQDA&adurl=
What’s the reason I see some people using an Ethernet cable and an adapter for doing this instead of Bluetooth? Just for further safety in connection?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #11
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
What’s the reason I see some people using an Ethernet cable and an adapter for doing this instead of Bluetooth? Just for further safety in connection?
I don't know. I'm still learning myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:56 AM   #12
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
It’s cheaper. That’s all.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #13
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Ethernet or USB connecting to a laptop?

I think it was the only option before BlueTooth OBDII dongles came along. Some folks still may prefer to use a laptop vs a smartphone.

The USB cables I’ve used in the past were pricey. But the software was included. No app credits to purchase etc. This was 5+ years back coding VWs, before things like Obdeleven were mainstream.

If you’re seeing it now I would suspect it’s more of a preference vs it being cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:41 AM   #14
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Ethernet or USB connecting to a laptop?

I think it was the only option before BlueTooth OBDII dongles came along. Some folks still may prefer to use a laptop vs a smartphone.

The USB cables I’ve used in the past were pricey. But the software was included. No app credits to purchase etc. This was 5+ years back coding VWs, before things like Obdeleven were mainstream.

If you’re seeing it now I would suspect it’s more of a preference vs it being cheaper.
I think it was an ethernet type cable with connection to OBD and then an adaptor to the iPhone. I have used Bluetooth in the past but recently I’ve seen a couple of YouTubers using the cable method and wasn’t sure why that was
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:43 AM   #15
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
I think it was an ethernet type cable with connection to OBD and then an adaptor to the iPhone. I have used Bluetooth in the past but recently I’ve seen a couple of YouTubers using the cable method and wasn’t sure why that was
Ah interesting. Haven’t seen that before.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #16
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
It's what I said.
We've had the ethernet cable before, since 2013 coding F-series BMWs using ESYS and a laptop.

Now that these phone apps work just as well, I just bought a $8 dongle to connect the cable I already had to my phone.

No way I would pay $80 for a wireless adapter when I can do the same with the cable I already have and an $8 dongle.

Developers of wireless dongles state the connection is faster using the wireless connection. I believe them. But it isn't worth it to me.

If you are buying things from scratch, you have to factor in a new Enet cable, and a dongle, and see what makes sense. At which point it might make sense to get a wireless adapter. Especially if you intend on running it plugged in to have a dashboard on your phone, for example, cable would be messy.
Appreciate 1
yuzu620.00
      09-08-2023, 12:00 AM   #17
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

It's good, what a big difference.
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2023, 06:39 AM   #18
dmr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
It’s cheaper. That’s all.
That and speed. Saw somewhere wired updates are faster. Using ethernet cable myself. Think I paid 8 bucks for it, no issues!
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      09-23-2023, 05:43 AM   #19
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Ethernet

Ethernet is way faster and extremely less chance of some type of dropout
BTOOTH is so slow and have has a few times where it drops out mid way and can brick your car depending on what task you were actually performing
My experience anyway😀
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:56 PM   #20
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Bumping this post for a quick question about the sound profiles. I coded the BW profiles and started using the "on stage" one, but every time i get in the car it reverts to some kind of generic sound, if I go and select on of the profiles again it will sound better again until the next restart. Any idea how to make it stick? I've tried locking the car with the key fob to save the settings to no avail. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, a note about how the sound profiles behave. Clicking on
Studio - sound coming from the front
Concert - surround sound with reverb
On stage - sort of surround sound

*BUT*

Concert > On stage - full surround sound with no reverb. This is what I'm trying to get but when I start the car it just sounds meh. Selecting "on stage" sounds better, and if I select concert > on stage it sounds way better.

Am I just stupid?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:08 PM   #21
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehuck View Post
Bumping this post for a quick question about the sound profiles. I coded the BW profiles and started using the "on stage" one, but every time i get in the car it reverts to some kind of generic sound, if I go and select on of the profiles again it will sound better again until the next restart. Any idea how to make it stick? I've tried locking the car with the key fob to save the settings to no avail. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, a note about how the sound profiles behave. Clicking on
Studio - sound coming from the front
Concert - surround sound with reverb
On stage - sort of surround sound

*BUT*

Concert > On stage - full surround sound with no reverb. This is what I'm trying to get but when I start the car it just sounds meh. Selecting "on stage" sounds better, and if I select concert > on stage it sounds way better.

Am I just stupid?
Are you logged in in the car? I’m wondering if the changes are saved to the profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 07:17 PM   #22
whatthehuck
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Are you logged in in the car? I’m wondering if the changes are saved to the profile.
I am, shows my profile pic and everything.

After more playing around, I'm realizing that the car is starting in "on stage" mode like it's supposed to. But I like the full surround sound of concert > on stage with no reverb. If I leave it on concert it has surround + reverb. IDK if I'm just making it glitch a way it's not supposed to by choosing one then the other, and it's just reverting to what it SHOULD sound like on just "on stage" or what.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00