BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

11-10-2023, 05:56 AM   #23
daelias@outlook.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2, Manual

I own a G87 M2 built prior to 7/01/2023. That means it has the older I-Drive controller. I want to make a couple of observations.
- This is the worst software ever put in an automobile.
- Mechanically the car is excellent, but the software developers weren’t car enthusiasts.
- For any non-owner thinking of buying a G87 M2 prepare for frustration.
- The last software update was actually a downgrade.
Examples: if you want rev marching off you now have to turn it off every time you start the car.
You can put the car in sport mode, but sport mode doesn’t engage the sport display. That is a separate setting in a separate button and once again has to be changed to your desired setting each time the car is started. This applies to the HUD as well if the car is equipped with that option.
For some unknown reason BMW doesn't want you using the cruise control with the sport display. I can think of no logical reason for this. If you have the sport display selected and engage cruise control the display changes to standard. If you attempt to change to sport display while driving in cruise control the car switches off cruise. Unbelievable. The HUD is useless unless you select sport display.
In addition, the tachometers in any setting are poor at best. A video game would have a more effective tachometer. The best of the poor display designs is Sport, but you can not set that as default.

Strange things happen to the settings all by themselves. Mine randomly changes to CarPlay for no reason. The interior lighting has changed colors all by itself and other various gremlins.

The control modules in this car and I assume in other new BMW’s are locked down. Bimmercode will not correct these issues currently and maybe not ever.

One more thing. If you are considering the purchase of Bootmod3 for this car you need to know that it will not work without removing the ECU and sending it off for an unlock which costs $1,000. That unlock might be re-locked the next time the car goes to the dealer and have to be repeated.

I may be alone in this, but if I had it to do over I probably would not have bought the car. The frustration over the bad software has badly ruined the experience.
Appreciate 2
LCDRJohn607.50
IM2C2066.50
      11-10-2023, 07:14 AM   #24
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daelias@outlook.com View Post
I own a G87 M2 built prior to 7/01/2023. That means it has the older I-Drive controller. I want to make a couple of observations.
- Mechanically the car is excellent, but the software developers weren’t car enthusiasts.
Examples: if you want rev marching off you now have to turn it off every time you start the car.
You can put the car in sport mode, but sport mode doesn’t engage the sport display. That is a separate setting in a separate button and once again has to be changed to your desired setting each time the car is started. This applies to the HUD as well if the car is equipped with that option.
For some unknown reason BMW doesn't want you using the cruise control with the sport display. I can think of no logical reason for this. If you have the sport display selected and engage cruise control the display changes to standard. If you attempt to change to sport display while driving in cruise control the car switches off cruise. Unbelievable. The HUD is useless unless you select sport display.
In addition, the tachometers in any setting are poor at best. A video game would have a more effective tachometer. The best of the poor display designs is Sport, but you can not set that as default.

Strange things happen to the settings all by themselves. Mine randomly changes to CarPlay for no reason. The interior lighting has changed colors all by itself and other various gremlins.

The [...]
While we share your gripes, I’m sorry for you they mean that much to you to sour your ownership experience. What’s your next car going to be?
Appreciate 2
LCDRJohn607.50
wjones14658.50
      11-12-2023, 11:29 AM   #25
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

I feel Daelia's pain, although it has not soured my fondness for the car.

I am reminded that BMW will likely fix much of it on the next update, assuming that we make them aware of the issues (which most don't bother to do). A little "venting" to their call center is probably a good start.
Just this past friday, I told my service adviser that the software was a "Hot mess" that I have to reboot almost daily. At least my instrument cluster is still working now. I plan on repeating this to their hotline, just so that they know they need to fix some stuff.

Funny story: my wife was laughing at me the other day because I was ranting; "Fer chrissakes!! It is a 20 inch screen and they can't put a F(*&k*)ng odometer on it?? and the tach is so freakin' small!! WTF?!?!"

LOL!

Anyway, the car still amazes me everytime I drive it. For $70k, there is nothing on the market to touch it.
Appreciate 1
Carefree1580.00
      11-18-2023, 05:31 PM   #26
daelias@outlook.com
United_States
Rep

I’ll remain hopeful that something changes with a future upgrade or bimmercode and pro tuning freaks (bootmod3) figure out how to get around the locked down areas of the control modules.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 02:01 PM   #27
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
This is my biggest gripe as well. I e-mailed BMW NA but didn't even get a reply. Maybe if everyone complains. WTF can't I use M Mode sport and cruise? Why can't the M Mode be mapped to the M1 M2 buttons? This is elementary. It's very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 02:10 PM   #28
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
This is my biggest gripe as well. I e-mailed BMW NA but didn't even get a reply. Maybe if everyone complains. WTF can't I use M Mode sport and cruise? Why can't the M Mode be mapped to the M1 M2 buttons? This is elementary. It's very frustrating.
BMW made two stupid decisions:

1- to marry the display to driving assistances
2- to make driving assistances mandatory for cruise control

And that is why they don't allow us to use it from the start.

It's stupid because sometimes we just want the different display, not any other changes. I assume they made it this way so it's very clear when the assistances are off (when you have the sport display on).

Audi figured it out. Unfortunately we can't customize our dash.
Appreciate 1
IM2C2066.50
      01-14-2024, 10:19 AM   #29
Nick1150
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 G87 & 2023 X5 50e G05

Quote:

The control modules in this car and I assume in other new BMW’s are locked down. Bimmercode will not correct these issues currently and maybe not ever.

One more thing. If you are considering the purchase of Bootmod3 for this car you need to know that it will not work without removing the ECU and sending it off for an unlock which costs $1,000. That unlock might be re-locked the next time the car goes to the dealer and have to be repeated.

I may be alone in this, but if I had it to do over I probably would not have bought the car. The frustration over the bad software has badly ruined the experience.
I could not agree more with the above comment!

Is there any chance that there has been a fix in the meantime?

Thanks

Nikos
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 05:47 AM   #30
albertM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Look at this post for the solution.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30674981
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 08:32 PM   #31
daelias@outlook.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
We’ve all been there at least once. Don’t sweat it, it happens. Thanks for owning up to it, very manly of you. Kudos.
Bimmercode shows many functions on the app that they say can be coded on a G87 that absolutely don’t work. I have corresponded with them about which OBD connectors I have and they maintain that the options they show for the M2 work and that I am using the correct OBD connector. Hopefully Bimmercode will fix this one day or maybe someone will post the advanced coding to resolve these issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 08:40 PM   #32
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Bimmercode shows many functions on the app that they say can be coded on a G87 that absolutely don’t work. I have corresponded with them about which OBD connectors I have and they maintain that the options they show for the M2 work and that I am using the correct OBD connector. Hopefully Bimmercode will fix this one day or maybe someone will post the advanced coding to resolve these issues.
There are two issues with BimmerCode:

1- some of the functions listed are meant for the 2-series. They work on the 2-series because they are different (for example, they have a Sport mode, which many prefer to default to).

2- some functions will require circumventing Coding 2.0 which require BMW to sign the change via a server request. Maybe one day this will happen…

What functions do you see that do not work (aside from the ones meant for a different car, that just happen to show to us because we share the screen in the app)?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 09:36 AM   #33
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
There are two issues with BimmerCode:

1- some of the functions listed are meant for the 2-series. They work on the 2-series because they are different (for example, they have a Sport mode, which many prefer to default to).

2- some functions will require circumventing Coding 2.0 which require BMW to sign the change via a server request. Maybe one day this will happen…

What functions do you see that do not work (aside from the ones meant for a different car, that just happen to show to us because we share the screen in the app)?

When I was able to connect Bimmercode, I saw the same thing, many of the features it lists as codable for the M2 were either not there or said unable to code. Some that I remember had to do with seat heating specifically. I'd have to go back in to check others, but it won't connect to my car (or my wife's) so I'm trouble shooting that right now.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      01-19-2024, 09:38 AM   #34
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
When I was able to connect Bimmercode, I saw the same thing, many of the features it lists as codable for the M2 were either not there or said unable to code. Some that I remember had to do with seat heating specifically. I'd have to go back in to check others, but it won't connect to my car (or my wife's) so I'm trouble shooting that right now.
Can we help? What’s the adapter?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 10:59 AM   #35
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Can we help? What’s the adapter?
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?t=2074920P
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      01-21-2024, 07:33 PM   #36
keonigt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Following also. It would be nice to have the display from sport mode stick at all times instead of having to go into “modes” and manually switching.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:29 PM   #37
jmtrujillo1983
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2024

starting on M1 or M2

sorry if this has been answered already or if its even the actual question from the OP... but why not just press twice on either the M1 or M2 button before pressing the start button?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:02 PM   #38
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtrujillo1983 View Post
sorry if this has been answered already or if its even the actual question from the OP... but why not just press twice on either the M1 or M2 button before pressing the start button?
Because that doesn’t change the display mode.
You have to push the “M Mode” button, navigate to “sport” on the screen to choose it (either by tapping it or rotating the iDrive controller to select it, and pushing the button).

So, you have to do two things:

- Push the M1/M2 preset buttons once (twice only if it deactivates traction control in some form)
- push the M Mode button
- select “Sport” on screen

We can do all that. The thread is asking whether it can be automated.
The current only way to automate the sport display is by buying a cable from Korea and install it, which will make the M1/M2 tap select “sport display” automatically. The cable costs ~$150.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:10 AM   #39
jmtrujillo1983
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2024

Quote:
Because that doesn’t change the display mode.
You have to push the “M Mode” button, navigate to “sport” on the screen to choose it (either by tapping it or rotating the iDrive controller to select it, and pushing the button).

So, you have to do two things:

- Push the M1/M2 preset buttons once (twice only if it deactivates traction control in some form)
- push the M Mode button
- select “Sport” on screen

We can do all that. The thread is asking whether it can be automated.
The current only way to automate the sport display is by buying a cable from Korea and install it, which will make the M1/M2 tap select “sport display” automatically. The cable costs ~$150.
Makes sense, just recently got my car and haven't played much into all the displays, thanks for clarifying
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-06-2024, 11:12 AM   #40
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtrujillo1983 View Post
Makes sense, just recently got my car and haven't played much into all the displays, thanks for clarifying
Let us know if it bugs you this much. I am still “bugged” but not bugged enough to buy the cable to automate the operation of the display. And certainly not enough to want a different car over it.

Higher on my wish list is a new display with analog looking tach. That would be sweet.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:51 PM   #41
dmr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G87

Check out https://cando.plus, does this and more.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-06-2024, 09:25 PM   #42
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreet_mayor View Post
Check out https://cando.plus, does this and more.
It looks like an interesting device with decent capabilities, but could make the car easily hackable, as it doesn’t seem to have any viable security and effectively makes the CANbus available to any wireless device in range, with only an easily sniffable HTTP protocol and trivial password that is sent in the clear.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-06-2024, 09:35 PM   #43
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
It looks like an interesting device with decent capabilities, but could make the car easily hackable, as it doesn’t seem to have any viable security and effectively makes the CANbus available to any wireless device in range, with only an easily sniffable HTTP protocol and trivial password that is sent in the clear.
To be fair you have to enable the wifi capability by holding a button for 5 seconds, so it’s always off unless you turn it on to swap settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:47 PM   #44
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
To be fair you have to enable the wifi capability by holding a button for 5 seconds, so it’s always off unless you turn it on to swap settings.
It has logging capabilities, so will always be on when monitoring the logged info. It isn’t clear how it can be turned off, either, perhaps only when the car is shut off. No thought for necessary security, unfortunately.

Using 192.168.x.y as an IP address is also easily guessable even without using a sniffer such as Wireshark.
Appreciate 0