BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-16-2023, 05:06 PM   #67
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero21 View Post
It's interesting IND went 15/12, and PSI went 12/15.

I bit the bullet and just ordered Future Classic 12/12. Initially I thought I'd pass but I know I could easily resell them to a member here if I don't like them. After seeing a couple of these with spacers, and eyeing my favorite Porsches, I think it's a must-have. BMW just doesn't do wheel fitment properly from the factory.

I'm thinking it'll work perfectly with the BMW MP HAS kit 10mm drop.
Can you let me know if this works well and doesn't rub? (I too will have the MP HAS port installed)

12mm is the minimum Future Classics spacer that stays attached to the hub with hub bolts, but I heard it causes rub in the front with the Pirellis.

Thanks.
      08-17-2023, 12:15 AM   #68
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Can you let me know if this works well and doesn't rub? (I too will have the MP HAS port installed)

12mm is the minimum Future Classics spacer that stays attached to the hub with hub bolts, but I heard it causes rub in the front with the Pirellis.

Thanks.
Weren't the reports of the 12mm liner rub only on stock height though? Seemed like most that went HAS got around this due to camber etc.

I'm doing port installed HAS as well and debating on the sizing of the spacers for the first year or so til I swap the boat anchors out for lighter wheels. Think it's down to 12/15, 15/15 or 15/18 but waiting on some more member feedback that have gone the MP HAS and spacer route.

There was a a weight chart on here as well and it looked like the FC spacers were also the lightest of most of the options.
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      08-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #69
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
Weren't the reports of the 12mm liner rub only on stock height though? Seemed like most that went HAS got around this due to camber etc.

I'm doing port installed HAS as well and debating on the sizing of the spacers for the first year or so til I swap the boat anchors out for lighter wheels. Think it's down to 12/15, 15/15 or 15/18 but waiting on some more member feedback that have gone the MP HAS and spacer route.

There was a a weight chart on here as well and it looked like the FC spacers were also the lightest of most of the options.
I heard that Pirellis and other wider tires like AD09 rub with 12s.

My understanding is that FC spacers are the only ones that stay bolted (with the hub bolts that normally hold the rotors) to the hub as you put your wheels on/off.

Their 5mm does no have the hub centric hub extension, makes it hard to hang a wheel. They state that 10mm does not leave enough material for one. So they make only 5mm and 12mm+ for G8x.

The other spacers are a pain and some dealers/shops don't want to install wheels on them as they are loose during wheel removal/reinstall.
      08-17-2023, 03:00 PM   #70
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
Can someone educate me on 10mm spacers? Are these safe for G87 – is there adequate depth & material for the hubcentric lip like the design attached here? I see a lot of recommendations for a 12 or 15 up front, but I'm soft and would like something just a bit more conservative.
10mm is very conservative. I have 15mm extra up front & 12 in the rear (from the altered offset of the wheels instead of spacers, but same effect). I do have mphas still at same specs from port.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 07:26 PM   #71
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
Can someone educate me on 10mm spacers? Are these safe for G87 – is there adequate depth & material for the hubcentric lip like the design attached here? I see a lot of recommendations for a 12 or 15 up front, but I'm soft and would like something just a bit more conservative.
From my research, Future Classics is on record that for the G8X 5x112 wheels there is not enough material for a 10 mm spacer to be acceptable. Another manufacturer, I believe Macht Snell, adds some sort of insert (steel?), in their 10 mm spacer to compensate for it.

I personally will only install FC's on my car, as if the spacer is not bolted to the hub it is a pain for me or installers to change tires, and can cause dealers/installers to refuse to work on your car, or cause them to reinstall them incorrectly.

In any event, all you need to make sure is that spacer is sitting truly and completely flat/flush against the hub (rotor hat), AND, the wheel is truly and completely sitting flat/flush against the spacer.

You MUST do the paper test TWICE for each corner of the vehicle - there are tolerances even in the same part number.

Don't take my word for it. The video below is THE MOST IMPORTANT VIDEO to watch on spacers - 6 min that can save your life.

Sebis186.50
Game7398.50
      08-28-2023, 09:19 PM   #72
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Definitely important to do the paper test with spacers. In 2021 we had a club member with a brand new F87 M2C lose a wheel at 160km/h on a track day when all the studs on a stud conversion kit sheared due to the spacer chamfer being too large and preventing the wheel from sitting flat on the spacer. Luckily not too much damage due to happening on a straight and not too close to the next corner.
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      08-28-2023, 11:37 PM   #73
baron95
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Definitely important to do the paper test with spacers. In 2021 we had a club member with a brand new F87 M2C lose a wheel at 160km/h on a track day when all the studs on a stud conversion kit sheared due to the spacer chamfer being too large and preventing the wheel from sitting flat on the spacer. Luckily not too much damage due to happening on a straight and not too close to the next corner.
^^^^

This. And none of the youtubers hawking spacers ever do these tests or even mention them. Because they don't know about it. For them it is all about looks and clicks.

When I'm not racing/tracking I'm out there Jeeping/offroading. Jeeps and BMWs seem to be the vehicles where spacers get installed the most often.

I have lost count on how many wheels I have seen depart Jeeps and BMWs. It is almost always the same story - improperly installed spacers.

When it is not spacers it is that guy who keeps torquing his wheel bolts/nuts after each track session with the wheels/bolts piping hot....until....you know.

Be safe out there guys. Wheel spacers can be very safe, but you need to do the basics. Clean those hubs/wheels face, use correct lengths studs/bolts, paper test wheel to spacer and spacer to hub before installing. Torque correctly (but not on super hot wheels/bolts).

Do that and you will be good.
      09-18-2023, 03:51 AM   #74
TT0997
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: EU G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0m0 View Post
I think I'm aiming for an extra 12 poke up front and 10 in the back. With HAS port installed and 10-15 mm drop I think it will sit well.
Any picture of this 12F/10R with 15mm drop ?
Appreciate 0