05-15-2023, 12:58 AM   #1
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
He called this a "tiny" coupe. But the 3,700-3,800 lb G87 M2 is not exactly the pocket rocket size. Other then that, I found his overall review pretty decent.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 10:21 AM   #2
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Wish I could, have you driven it?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #3
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Great post
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

“tiny”

“the M2 finally gets a real M engine”

stopped watching….lol.

trying to not watch any more YouTube reviews—they are all terrible!
JustinHEMI7405.50
Tornado1M1207.50
The_Werm212.00
shgpt29.50
      05-15-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Good review.

I especially liked the camera angles/movement when showing the car, it's really growing on me to the point where my wife is in full blown panic.

A win win...
Appreciate 2
DSTR1212.50
AndyinHou478.00
      05-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #6
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Generrally a detailed, good review. But I’m sorry, I’ve lived with my M3CX for 4 months now, and you don’t get used to the new infotainment. It’s terrible. M1/M2 delay if you have MDM selected is atrocious. Screens for climate control and heated/cooled seats are atrocious. Every time you want the sport display you have to turn it on, it can’t be included in an M1/M2 configuration.

When you park the car and you had the heated seat/wheel on but also the air on…it brings the wheel back but not the seat. If you start the car in the cold and don’t use the auto climate settings (becuase they are no good if you want direct heat and not hot air in your face), the heated wheel comes on every time but not the seats…ever. The heated seats don’t get as hot as they used to. They can be coded to be hotter but that’s a pain. On the plus side, that little hot/cold hvac dial is buried in digital form in the hvac settings, but it’s a pain to find it.

If an apple CarPlay message comes up and you inadvertently acknowledge it and then press media to go back to the preset menu, it takes you to the iPhone media. If you’re low on fuel the stupid CarPlay also gives you a reminder. It would be nice if there were some feature that blocked all CarPlay unless you enter it. Perhaps I’m alone in only wanting to use CarPlay for the phone.

There is no permanent odometer. If you push the BC button to cycle through that information, it stays up, and whatever you had in that spot (tire pressures, drive modes, navigation, media, etc.) needs to be deactivated not by cycling through BC, but by clicking the list button in the wheel and then scrolling through the options to get you back where you were and then selecting. The little scroll button is way too sensitive and doesn’t have enough resistance.

Best of all, I’ve been to many BMW track/driving courses and I sit where you’re taught to. In this position, I find I am sitting almost on top of the giant screen and looking down on it. And, the steering wheel blocks sone portions of the screen.

The car is generally phenomenal, but the whole driver interface is absolutely terrible.
Appreciate 12
Swappy531.50
KevinC3076.00
mathys196.50
LCDRJohn606.00
ASAP10055.50
JustinHEMI7405.50
wavyyyy1036.50
zero213247.50
The_Werm212.00
CamasM3e933117.50
      05-15-2023, 01:24 PM   #7
Sparapet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
Generrally a detailed, good review. But I’m sorry, I’ve lived with my M3CX for 4 months now, and you don’t get used to the new infotainment. It’s terrible. M1/M2 delay if you have MDM selected is atrocious. Screens for climate control and heated/cooled seats are atrocious. Every time you want the sport display you have to turn it on, it can’t be included in an M1/M2 configuration.

When you park the car and you had the heated seat/wheel on but also the air on…it brings the wheel back but not the seat. If you start the car in the cold and don’t use the auto climate settings (becuase they are no good if you want direct heat and not hot air in your face), the heated wheel comes on every time but not the seats…ever. The heated seats don’t get as hot as they used to. They can be coded to be hotter but that’s a pain. On the plus side, that little hot/cold hvac dial is buried in digital form in the hvac settings, but it’s a pain to find it.

If an apple CarPlay message comes up and you inadvertently acknowledge it and then press media to go back to the preset menu, it takes you to the iPhone media. If you’re low on fuel the stupid CarPlay also gives you a reminder. It would be nice if there were some feature that blocked all CarPlay unless you enter it. Perhaps I’m alone in only wanting to use CarPlay for the phone.

There is no permanent odometer. If you push the BC button to cycle through that information, it stays up, and whatever you had in that spot (tire pressures, drive modes, navigation, media, etc.) needs to be deactivated not by cycling through BC, but by [...]
Hu. Talk about having subjective experiences. My take on iD8 and hvac is nearly polar opposite to yours. I had a 22 M3 and now have a 23, so I can easily compare the two experiences. Driving position wise i find both to be damn near ideal. I’ve also taken the entire series of BMW schools all the way theu race school, and find the driving position doesn’t affect gauge reading at all. Also tracked my M3 last weekend and didn’t find it problematic at all. Honestly my only nuissance item is the window rolling up under hard braking. A safety feature that is a legit liability on a track.
I am a fan if ID8. I like the layouts, graphics, and options for widgets. I only use carplay for nav sometimes. Otherwise stay on the native display. But hey, that’s why they call it subjective taste.
Appreciate 6
mathys196.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
eddj457.00
cmgbk752626.00
      05-15-2023, 02:17 PM   #8
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparapet View Post
Hu. Talk about having subjective experiences. My take on iD8 and hvac is nearly polar opposite to yours. I had a 22 M3 and now have a 23, so I can easily compare the two experiences. Driving position wise i find both to be damn near ideal. I’ve also taken the entire series of BMW schools all the way theu race school, and find the driving position doesn’t affect gauge reading at all. Also tracked my M3 last weekend and didn’t find it problematic at all. Honestly my only nuissance item is the window rolling up under hard braking. A safety feature that is a legit liability on a track.
I am a fan if ID8. I like the layouts, graphics, and options for widgets. I only use carplay for nav sometimes. Otherwise stay on the native display. But hey, that’s why they call it subjective taste.
That's interesting, because I only noticed my issues with screen placement after a week in Sweden with an M4 having the old variant. I prefer the font/styling of the new iDrive, I just don't like placement of it and some of the functionality. I only use the native screen as well. I don't much use navigation, but if/when I do, I use the native screen. My issue with CarPlay is that it pops up messages and then you can get stuck in a CarPlay spiral....either it doesn't go back to the native audio, or worse you don't want to listen to it read the texts and you end up screaming at it until it finishes the text.

One more thing, the little trackpad where you draw letters on, or the dial a letter function, doesn't work whilst in motion like it used to...and to a direct quote when I first discovered this new limitation, the iDrive doesn't know where "U.S. Bank Tustin, asshole," is. You then have to calm down and be patient with the stupid thing. I'm far less distracted if I'm able to just dial in the location myself.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 05-15-2023 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3539.50
Jimjamz4538.00
      05-15-2023, 03:16 PM   #9
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
“tiny”

stopped watching….lol.

FWIW, the second sentence is true, if you assume he means base M2, not Comp or CS. He is reviewing a base M2, after all, although he could be been more precise.

The review was fine, he's obviously "just a dude who likes cars" and so I judged it accordingly. He didn't try to sound smarter than he is, or make up bullshit tests, so I'm fine with it.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 04:37 PM   #10
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
On the plus side, that little hot/cold hvac dial is buried in digital form in the hvac settings, but it’s a pain to find it.
Lol I think the rest of your complaints and venting session was mostly about trivial things but this is the only thing I truly sympathize with.

I think CarPlay is better in BMWs than most other manufacturers but this is as good as we will get a phone integration. Sorry to hear you can’t find a proper view of the screen as well but I hope the head up display makes up for it.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      05-15-2023, 04:40 PM   #11
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Lol I think the rest of your complaints and venting session was mostly about trivial things but this is the only thing I truly sympathize with.

I think CarPlay is better in BMWs than most other manufacturers but this is as good as we will get a phone integration. Sorry to hear you can’t find a proper view of the screen as well but I hope the head up display makes up for it.
I don't think complaining about having to peck away at the screen for temperature controls is trivial, so I'll stand my ground on that one. HUD is great...except BMW still hasn't sorted out polarized sunglasses!
Appreciate 2
bromudez253.50
      05-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #12
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
I don't think complaining about having to peck away at the screen for temperature controls is trivial, so I'll stand my ground on that one. HUD is great...except BMW still hasn't sorted out polarized sunglasses!
Honestly I share most your opinions on this and oof you gave another finding I also hate.. the HUDs just don’t get bright enough either imo.

Hope you forget about all these minor issues every time you step on the gas tho! We gotta be thankful this isn’t a 4 cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 05:01 PM   #13
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Honestly I share most your opinions on this and oof you gave another finding I also hate.. the HUDs just don’t get bright enough either imo.

Hope you forget about all these minor issues every time you step on the gas tho! We gotta be thankful this isn’t a 4 cylinder.
It's fantastic overall, and especially good on long road trips once everything is dialed in. It's just a pain in the @$$ around town, where Remote start is amazing...but then you have to get in and press the start button - why can't it just sense the key? In my Land Rover you just get in and touch the brake and it goes live.

Then, I want to be in loud and sporty M1/M2 mode all the time and I have to press wait press, then fiddle with the screen for climate stuff, then press the m mode button for the dash and HUD, and then turn the iDrive and press on that...oh and if I did anything in the iDrive screen when in reverse, then the camera goes away and doesn't come back on unless I press that button. Add to that the buttons on the constantly smudged contemplate don't always recognize the press.

It's just all these little things that add up to 30 seconds of my life lost every time I start the car as they aren't easily done whilst backing out the drive...they were all done that way before, when I had one hand on the wheel and two feet feathering pedals. I just feel like all the tech is a move backwards in terms of making life easier. It's not supposed to be that way.
Appreciate 3
      05-15-2023, 05:12 PM   #14
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I think idrive 8 sucks

-signed a ‘23 M3 owner
Appreciate 3
Swish77380.00
      05-15-2023, 05:15 PM   #15
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
“tiny”

stopped watching….lol.

watched the first 7 seconds earlier this morning and couldn't find the remote fast enough to change the video.

we don't need anymore review videos of the new car or day in life with the new car. we want more content of car mods, maintenance, motorsports, etc.
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
      05-15-2023, 05:17 PM   #16
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
HUD is great...except BMW still hasn't sorted out polarized sunglasses!
Must be a YMMV, the angle adjustment worked for my glasses.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:29 PM   #17
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Must be a YMMV, the angle adjustment worked for my glasses.
So, in order to see it clearly, you have to see it out-of-level? That's nuts, but I'll try it. I know I won't be able to stand it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:50 PM   #18
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
You know the angle adjustment is BMW "sorting" out polarized sunglasses, right?
      05-15-2023, 06:55 PM   #19
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
You know the angle adjustment is BMW "sorting" out polarized sunglasses, right?
If they’d design it to be dim at an angle, then maybe it’d be perfect when level!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #20
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
If they’d design it to be dim at an angle, then maybe it’d be perfect when level!
It has nothing to do with dimness. It's the physics of polarized lenses and how they work. And why changing the angle helps the HUD visibility.

In other words, it isn't a BMW HUD problem.

https://www.revantoptics.com/blogs/t...unglasses-work
      05-15-2023, 07:01 PM   #21
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
It has nothing to do with dimness. It's the physics of polarized lenses and how they work. And why changing the angle helps the HUD visibility.

In other words, it isn't a BMW HUD problem.

https://www.revantoptics.com/blogs/t...unglasses-work
I know, I meant that it appeared dim. I’m on the app and didn’t have time to properly type.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 08:07 PM   #22
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

after you press the gas pedal "it takes a bit of a second to get going"
Appreciate 0