BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

12-14-2022, 10:44 PM   #23
irs320
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

I just picked up a 2023 m240i xdrive with the cooling & high performance tire package so have the staggered wheel setup with 245/35/19 in the front and 255/35/19's in the rear. Moved on up from a 2014 3 series this is a whole new world for me.

The tires that came with the car are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with the star and while I've heard they're awesome tires, I'm in New England and the temps have been in the 30's and below all week, with some snow in between.

I'm not taking this thing on the track (I'm a pretty conservative driver) and also not interested in swapping back and forth between summer/winter wheels (nor spending an additional 4 grand on a dedicated winter setup at the moment) so got some Pilot Sport All Season 4's from Tire Rack.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires? They seem great from reviews.

Also, I'm new to the whole summer tire game, it's supposed to get up to the low to mid 40's for the next few days, some rainy days in there, I'm assuming driving locally, as long as I'm not driving like a maniac will be ok with these summer tires on?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #24
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irs320 View Post
I just picked up a 2023 m240i xdrive with the cooling & high performance tire package so have the staggered wheel setup with 245/35/19 in the front and 255/35/19's in the rear. Moved on up from a 2014 3 series this is a whole new world for me.

The tires that came with the car are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with the star and while I've heard they're awesome tires, I'm in New England and the temps have been in the 30's and below all week, with some snow in between.

I'm not taking this thing on the track (I'm a pretty conservative driver) and also not interested in swapping back and forth between summer/winter wheels (nor spending an additional 4 grand on a dedicated winter setup at the moment) so got some Pilot Sport All Season 4's from Tire Rack.

Also, I'm new to the whole summer tire game, it's supposed to get up to the low to mid 40's for the next few days, some rainy days in there, I'm assuming driving locally, as long as I'm not driving like a maniac will be ok with these summer tires on?

Thanks!
I can't speak on the Pilot Sport All Seasons but I can speak to the fact that you're absolutely fine driving on the summer tires in the cold and wet as long as you don't go too nuts. I've even driven my car in a little bit of slush over the last few years on the same summer tires and it was fine. Be careful, of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 04:15 PM   #25
irs320
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
I can't speak on the Pilot Sport All Seasons but I can speak to the fact that you're absolutely fine driving on the summer tires in the cold and wet as long as you don't go too nuts. I've even driven my car in a little bit of slush over the last few years on the same summer tires and it was fine. Be careful, of course.
Good to know! I'm still getting used to how powerful this car is so when I have driven I've driven pretty conservatively
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #26
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42,570GT,Lp5704STS,F36,F34

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
I wouldnt drive summer tires below 8 degrees/44 farenheit. Running a car group over 12 years Ive seen a few guys lose their car using summers below the temperatures I mention.
Just last week my friends 911 rear stepped out driving only at 30mph on summers and now has to change his rear diffuser at $2k.

Pilot Sport All Season 4 are fantastic tires and has actually great reviews considering its an all season that has fantastic snow qualities.

https://toptirereview.com/continenta...-all-season-4/

If you want confidence and plan to keep your car a while I always say opt for winter setup....and it doesnt have to be from dealership. Tire shops have deals on winter setups (wheels and tire) and going 1 size down (18 inch with 225 wide tires) for under $1300.

Take anything I mentioned with a grain of salt and do your own due diligence and research.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #27
charris99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230i

Found this online if it helps.. I have a 2022 230i M Sport, staggered 19s.
Tire Rack has has no info to set anything up for a winter wheel package, so trying to figure it out on my own. (But help appreciated)

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/2-series/2022/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #28
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:

Thanks!
I have the Pilot Sport All Season 4s. Swapped out the stock Pirelli P0 Summer tires for the all seasons.

I can say the Michelins feel much better on the road in the cold (below 32 f). Cold handling is much better, you can tell the summer tires are not happy in below freezing weather. I picked up my car in Nov so I never had a chance to drive the Pirellis in warm weather. But I can say the Michelins are great, at least so far in the cold. Quiet and smooth ride, plus grip really well in corners at speed.

Haven’t driven them in the snow yet, but the reviews all suggest they should be great for all seasons. I debated swapping back to the Pirellis in the summer, but might just keep the all seasons year round.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 03:59 AM   #29
Robyn
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i

I ran the all season pilot sports on my C43 and Continental DWS06 on my red sport Q60, overall I preferred the DWS06’s, I thought they had better road manners and a little less road noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 03:04 PM   #30
Sodfather
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240ix

Not sure if I should put this here or another post; but, I ordered a 2023 M240ix, and I had no idea that there was even an option for NO staggered set. Well, mine is coming with 4 A/S tires; however, the increased speed limiter is there as well. How is that even possible? Is it possible the A/S tires come staggered?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:05 PM   #31
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
I have a '22 M240i with the ZTK package. I am about to order the Conti DWS06 plus (since the $110 rebate just started for November when buying all 4). Question to see if anyone is running this setup. Rear 255s cost $43 less each than the Front 245s. Can't I just run a square setup of 255s Front and Rear? I am on stock rims and the 8.5-width front rims allow for a 255-width tire and I am currently running 13mm spacers as it is all around so I shouldn't have any issues there. Am I missing something?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:41 PM   #32
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
I have a '22 M240i with the ZTK package. I am about to order the Conti DWS06 plus (since the $110 rebate just started for November when buying all 4). Question to see if anyone is running this setup. Rear 255s cost $43 less each than the Front 245s. Can't I just run a square setup of 255s Front and Rear? I am on stock rims and the 8.5-width front rims allow for a 255-width tire and I am currently running 13mm spacers as it is all around so I shouldn't have any issues there. Am I missing something?
I'm asking this same question in another thread... Seems like 255s should be able to fit all around unless the extra 5mm on each side is going to rub on my totally stock setup. Not sure why BMW didn't just do 9.5s or 8.5s front and rear with a square setup. I doubt the difference between 245 and 255 is adding much to the handling setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 03:51 AM   #33
theta
Purple People Eater
Rep
Drives: '24 G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
Very interested in this, myself. Need to grab these exact tires for winter on my ZTK stock wheel setup.

I'm guessing the only obvious conclusion is that the front sidewalls will appear a little bit more meaty than the rears.

A 5mm spacer on the fronts would effectively negate the difference and the outer offset would then be equivalent to a stock tire on a 10mm spacer.

At that point, though, it may just be cheaper to buy the 245s.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #34
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Why not just run the same stock size or move up to 1 size wider all around (265 rear and 255 front)?

I will be doing the latter when these stock tires are done. Bit more sidewall, width, and less stretched looking.

Maybe I missed it but is this only about saving a few bucks on the set of tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 10:03 PM   #35
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Why not just run the same stock size or move up to 1 size wider all around (265 rear and 255 front)?

I will be doing the latter when these stock tires are done. Bit more sidewall, width, and less stretched looking.

Maybe I missed it but is this only about saving a few bucks on the set of tires?
255s all around save me almost $90 vs 245/255 setup. It's just for the winter for me so I don't see why saving $90 for a few months isn't a good thing. I will be running summer tires for the rest of the year. Going 265 rear is unnecessary for me for the winter and will cost me more ($273 for each tire vs $225). My main question was whether 255s in the front would cause any issues for me on an 8.5" stock rim with 13mm spacers. I don't believe that they will and your proposed setup would still have the same width 255s in the front.
Appreciate 1
nype126.00