04-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #23
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I remember when the F87 first came out there were markups anywhere from $5-10k over MSRP. In that specific situation BMW was caught a bit off guard with so many prospective buyers while their initial production volume was low. This was why dealers were able to price gouge buyers. Production later ramped up, prices stabilized and the average sales price was MSRP. I don't anticipate BMW will underestimate the demand for the G87 this time, but I do think all the supply chain issues may result in a similar situation. We shall see.
I think if the current G80 situation tells us anything, is that the G87 will be tough to get. Many were apprehensive (and many still are) on the G80...but I don't see that with this car. There's alot of excitement here based on the spy shots, what we know and where BMW is headed in the future. I think it'll be an extremely popular car and the lines to get one are going to be LONG.
      04-26-2022, 12:33 PM   #24
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I think if the current G80 situation tells us anything, is that the G87 will be tough to get. Many were apprehensive (and many still are) on the G80...but I don't see that with this car. There's alot of excitement here based on the spy shots, what we know and where BMW is headed in the future. I think it'll be an extremely popular car and the lines to get one are going to be LONG.
I agree and just because someone has a deposit down with a dealer that says you are #x on a list doesn't mean a thing. Ask me how I know. When there is high demand and low inventory the only leverage you have is to pay more or get to the back of the line. I for one refuse to pay anything over MSRP, but I'm also not in a rush. I will wait until things settle down.
Appreciate 5
Ronin76588.50
EXE462097.00
Caerus531.50
      04-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #25
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
I agree and just because someone has a deposit down with a dealer that says you are #x on a list doesn't mean a thing. Ask me how I know. When there is high demand and low inventory the only leverage you have is to pay more or get to the back of the line. I for one refuse to pay anything over MSRP, but I'm also not in a rush. I will wait until things settle down.
Same here. But I'm starting to wonder if I don't get it right away, I'm just shortening the time until the LCI which is supposedly coming spring 2025, just 2 years after launch. We'll see how patient I am
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #26
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
It's the dealer's launch/display car. Usually not configurable.

Not sure what the acronym stands for
Gotcha, thank you.
      04-26-2022, 09:17 PM   #27
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Allocation # 1 @ MSRP. Deposit placed summer 2021.

Quote:
Now the question, will the HEA car be modifiable…
I am guessing it will not be. Oh well… I would like to get individual paint and willing to wait to acquire it.

Quote:
just because someone has a deposit down with a dealer that says you are #x on a list doesn't mean a thing. Ask me how I know.
Why you always get it in writing and signed by the sales mgr. Any reputable dealer will provide this without asking. Said document provides recourse for legal action if the dealer fails to fulfill their obligation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
I'm just shortening the time until the LCI which is supposedly coming spring 2025, just 2 years after launch. We'll see how patient I am
It is not written in stone that an LCI will even happen. It is possible that production runs for five years and that it is. BMW has done this before… Things are moving very quickly to rid our lives of fully ICE vehicles. It is highly possible that if there is an LCI that it will be a mild hybrid.

Last edited by T_U_D; 04-26-2022 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2022, 02:34 AM   #28
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

I have a deposit down with a promise in writing for first allocation. What I *dont* know is what options we will have.

For example, a friend just picked up his M3, but he had to buy it without the birds-eye camera pkg (forget the name, "executive"?). He was told they couldn't offer it because of the chip shortage.

I do tend to prefer an analog, stripped-down experience, hence why I held onto the e90 for so long. But oh, that M HUD, I want it so bad.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #29
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
Why you always get it in writing and signed by the sales mgr. Any reputable dealer will provide this without asking. Said document provides recourse for legal action if the dealer fails to fulfill their obligation.
I have been through this process many times. Problem is there is no transparency on how the dealer handles things behind the scenes. For instance I've been next on the list and then found out from someone on the forum that they got my allocation instead. Another time a different sales rep that was in the dealer lot slipped up and said I was #3 in line. not #1. I didn't believe him until he told me he handles the list. When I confronted my sales rep he said he would look into it only to come back and tell me he had made a mistake and I was indeed #3, but he was "working hard" to move me up.

In both instances I had a deposit down and it was signed by the sales manager. This is common practice for a lot of car salesman, regardless of brand. They will juggle allocations around and if they can sell it to someone else for more $$$ they will.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #30
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
I have been through this process many times. Problem is there is no transparency on how the dealer handles things behind the scenes. For instance I've been next on the list and then found out from someone on the forum that they got my allocation instead. Another time a different sales rep that was in the dealer lot slipped up and said I was #3 in line. not #1. I didn't believe him until he told me he handles the list. When I confronted my sales rep he said he would look into it only to come back and tell me he had made a mistake and I was indeed #3, but he was "working hard" to move me up.

In both instances I had a deposit down and it was signed by the sales manager. This is common practice for a lot of car salesman, regardless of brand. They will juggle allocations around and if they can sell it to someone else for more $$$ they will.
You are spot on here, that is 100% correct. I know there are some good car salesmen on here, so obviously no offense to them, but from my experience, dealerships are the lest trustworthy people on earth. I will not hold my breath for myself actually being #2 on the list. Maybe having bought 2 M2s from the dealership may help, but I would not be surprised if they bumped me down cause someone else comes forward offering to pay $5-10k over MSRP.
      04-27-2022, 11:39 AM   #31
Blk5er33
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier or at least quicker to obtain since it will be built in Mexico?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #32
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5er33 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier or at least quicker to obtain since it will be built in Mexico?
Well that depends on how many BMW plans on producing. With the G8x, most dealers see 0-2 allocations per month so where they're built really doesn't change much.

The vehicles built in Mexico still require getting on a boat...although about 2 weeks less...so there's still about a 3 month wait to get your car.
      04-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #33
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Well that depends on how many BMW plans on producing. With the G8x, most dealers see 0-2 allocations per month so where they're built really doesn't change much.

The vehicles built in Mexico still require getting on a boat...although about 2 weeks less...so there's still about a 3 month wait to get your car.
If true, that's a surprisingly low number of cars being built, just as low as when the F87 first debut. For the F80/2 cars dealers were receiving anywhere from 4-8 per month. Wonder if this is because of ongoing supply chain issues and part shortages?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:12 PM   #34
Blk5er33
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:

Oh man, I thought they could just be transported on trucks. Since it only takes about 4-6 weeks to build a X vehicle in South Carolina right now, I figured the cars built in Mexico would be faster too. I guess not.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:26 PM   #35
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5er33 View Post
Quote:

Oh man, I thought they could just be transported on trucks. Since it only takes about 4-6 weeks to build a X vehicle in South Carolina right now, I figured the cars built in Mexico would be faster too. I guess not.
Yeah that was my rational too but these cars tend to sit at the Mexican port for a week or two before their two week voyage through the Gulf and Atlantic.
      04-29-2022, 11:28 AM   #36
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:

That sucks… having a rapport with your client advisor definitely helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 03:46 PM   #37
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
I remember when the F87 first came out there were markups anywhere from $5-10k over MSRP. In that specific situation BMW was caught a bit off guard with so many prospective buyers while their initial production volume was low. This was why dealers were able to price gouge buyers. Production later ramped up, prices stabilized and the average sales price was MSRP. I don't anticipate BMW will underestimate the demand for the G87 this time, but I do think all the supply chain issues may result in a similar situation. We shall see.
The very reason I'll wait for the G87 LCI

Still enjoying my low mile OG
Tag17923.50
Ronin76588.50
wassy497.50
      05-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #38
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

Just sold my 2019 F87 back to the dealer. They offered me what I originally paid for it back in Nov 2018. Given it was a second car for me and I haven't been driving it much (had 9300 miles), I took their offer on the premise I could buy a G87 at MSRP. I was told I was first on their list. Now back in the waiting game, but honestly I enjoy it. Reading about the car, watching reviews when they start coming in. The anticipation is great.
Appreciate 2
atl_1M1520.00
Game7278.50
      05-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #39
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Let me guess - bill jacobs?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #40
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Let me guess - bill jacobs?
No, but I have purchased from them before. I don't want to name dealerships, but they were both in the greater Chicagoland area.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 07:53 PM   #41
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No, but I have purchased from them before. I don't want to name dealerships, but they were both in the greater Chicagoland area.
Hopefully not Patrick.
      05-02-2022, 08:00 PM   #42
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully not Patrick.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #43
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Officially put down a $1k deposit today and was told I'm 1st on the list
Appreciate 2
T_U_D6669.00
Game7278.50
      05-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #44
Nexus_One
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS

First on the list at my dealer too. I was kind of surprised how few people had inquired about getting on the list for this.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6669.00