BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-15-2023, 11:29 AM   #1
Click_ID
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Clapped out 335. N54 goes brrr

Airport Runway Photos- Video drag race to follow

Hey y'all I was invited out to an airstrip along with several other local car guys to test out the capabilities of our cars.

Our photographer; Pratamesh ( IG: pratagraph )
Organizer/Youtube; Sam CarLegion (IG:samcarlegion, YT:https://www.youtube.com/@SamCarLegion)

I lined up against a Manual Supra, and manual 400z.
No Spoilers But, I will note this is not a track-prepped surface and traction was a nightmare for everyone in a RWD manual car that day. Even the AWD boys had some issues.

But the Supra is a beaaast in the hole. But, I will wait for Sam to launch his video before sharing anything more.

Photos, and an exhaust clip.

Exhaust clip with my single mid-pipe ( res and secondary cat delete)
https://youtube.com/shorts/tLVEf_SzRRw?feature=share

Last edited by Click_ID; 05-15-2023 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add the video.
Appreciate 22
02M3ForMe4257.00
cmgbk752631.50
aerobod3612.00
Divx0.00
Slick1984234.50
MmmmmM22586.00
Tag18122.00
ASAP10131.00
Tenac4537.00
DomMuc498.00
eddj464.50
ourlee911.50
atl_1M1520.00
Sonic RR115.50
      05-15-2023, 07:36 PM   #2
M_Tune
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red Bull RB19

The video is up at Carlegion. Appreciate you volunteering your new car and time for our viewing pleasure. I take it you haven’t yet fully developed muscle memory for rowing those gears.

The M2 seem to pull hard at the top, but it seems there is enough time there for me to make coffee and be back before it starts pulling.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 08:10 PM   #3
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Either that Supra is not stock or the OP was having major issues with launching his M2 properly because that Supra was shot out of a cannon off the line. Also the M2 shifting wasn’t the best but you could see the M2 starts to walk the Supra when it was in gear.

The surface was terrible as mentioned before but what were the traction settings on? I thought I read somewhere that 3 or 4 was ideal for doing launch control. That surface must’ve been real shitty if you’re getting wheel spin in 3rd gear lol but how was the Supra not struggling anywhere near as badly? What kinda tires did the cars have?

Also, why not get everyone to drive all the cars? It’s kinda difficult to assess M/T cars when no one switches cars.

Appreciate 3
Click_ID559.50
aerobod3612.00
      05-15-2023, 08:27 PM   #4
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Excellent shots. Your BSM car looks the best of the bunch - it had surprising presence when it rolled up on the other two.

Mentioned elsewhere, Sam Car Legion is not the best at these videos. Back during the G8x launch, he literally made a 30-minute video review 'demonstrating' that the M340i is faster than the G80 Comp, and it turned out he had the M3 in low-fuel limp mode the whole time and didn't notice. He quietly deleted that video.

I don't see how this M2 got the fastest 0-60 time when it was clearly way slower than the Supra on video. If the Supra's time was 3.9s, I didn't see a single 3.8s run for the G87 in the video. More like 4.8s. I wouldn't put it past Sam to fudge the numbers after realizing that the actual measured time of 4.5-4.9s is so slow and unrepresentative of the car's true performance that it kills the video's credibility and usefulness.

These numbers don't quite match what these three drivers achieved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Click_ID559.50
      05-15-2023, 08:50 PM   #5
Click_ID
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Wowza! Some good noise in this thread now.

So full transparency, I'm not the greatest manual driver. But, I'm also not terrible. Above average, but I'm not going to the track every weekend.

That being said the first time Sam drove it down he couldn't find a sliver of fraction and was spinning well into third.

IMO, the largest issue isn't the car, it's the surface. But, again not a pro, just some dude who buys cars and shares my experiences with fellow hobbyists.

It's an unmaintained, loose, and wavy surface. Couple that with a driver not well trained in launching their car on said surface with a fairly large audience behind them.
Lots of wheel-hop on my side of the track, and every time I changed gears I would just spin until 4th, so I had to back off and it shows on the video.

In the video and off video in test runs, I tried MDM launch ( IMO worst, TC was just bogging down everything... it was bad)
TC was left in 4, and tried at 6 dumping @ 1800.
The car lost the tire lottery and is running Pirelli's, and had H&R Super sport lowering springs for a G80 equipped. These springs may have negatively affected the traction at launch. I offered to switch out at one point and let someone else drive. We all agreed it wasn't happening regardless of who was driving. You can only put some much stress on a car too before something breaks trying to dial things in on a non-prepped surface.

All that being said, the driver of the supra is a beast. He can drive, and is a regular at track days. The Supra is 3-400lbs lighter, very similar power, it's hard to believe it would win, right?

I'm happy to chalk it up as inexperience, at the end of the day I had a blast. G87 fanboys, feel free to use me as your scapegoat.
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4257.00
      05-15-2023, 09:01 PM   #6
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Seemed amateurish to me.

Drivers need to be swapped at each run.

And that "yell in the the walkie-talkie" to start a race is pretty tired.

There were huge variables in each run.

The cars looked great tho.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 09:02 PM   #7
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
nd.point Appreciate the additional info. Glad you had a good time. Looked like a blast. I've never really cared for Sam's videos but he seems like a nice dude. Pretty chill about the digs not going exactly as hoped.
Appreciate 1
Click_ID559.50
      05-15-2023, 09:16 PM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Don't know why everyone is so surprised by the outcome. The M2 had Pirelli's, the Supra had Michelin's and the Z had Bridgestone's. Put some Michelin's on the M2 and the outcome would have been very different.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 09:23 PM   #9
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd.point View Post
Wowza! Some good noise in this thread now.

So full transparency, I'm not the greatest manual driver. But, I'm also not terrible. Above average, but I'm not going to the track every weekend.

That being said the first time Sam drove it down he couldn't find a sliver of fraction and was spinning well into third.

IMO, the largest issue isn't the car, it's the surface. But, again not a pro, just some dude who buys cars and shares my experiences with fellow hobbyists.

It's an unmaintained, loose, and wavy surface. Couple that with a driver not well trained in launching their car on said surface with a fairly large audience behind them.
Lots of wheel-hop on my side of the track, and every time I changed gears I would just spin until 4th, so I had to back off and it shows on the video.

In the video and off video in test runs, I tried MDM launch ( IMO worst, TC was just bogging down everything... it was bad)
TC was left in 4, and tried at 6 dumping @ 1800.
The car lost the tire lottery and is running Pirelli's, and had H&R Super sport lowering springs for a G80 equipped. These springs may have negatively affected the traction at launch. I offered to switch out at one point and let someone else drive. We all agreed it wasn't happening regardless of who was driving. You can only put some much stress on a car too before something breaks trying to dial things in on a non-prepped surface.

All that being said, the driver of the supra is a beast. He can drive, and is a regular at track days. The Supra is 3-400lbs lighter, very similar power, it's hard to believe it would win, right?

I'm happy to chalk it up as inexperience, at the end of the day I had a blast. G87 fanboys, feel free to use me as your scapegoat.
With all of those factors, did you actually achieve a 3.8s 0-60 time?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 11:31 PM   #10
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

The all the races were badly executed trying to line up and time the race. Also, extremely slow shifts in the M2
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 11:45 PM   #11
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
The all the races were badly executed trying to line up and time the race. Also, extremely slow shifts in the M2

Lets be honest, the point was to drag eace and that was far from how to drag race. Warming up the car first? You want to lay rubber down and launch in the "groove"/tracks but beyond that, you dont warm up the car/engine for drag racing (especially considering the heat turbis put off).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 08:05 AM   #12
Click_ID
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
As a consumer, I always consider stuff like this on YT as entertainment. And yes, shifts were lifted off due to fear of spinning. Even as the driver of the M2, I can find better traction in an Aldi's parking lot. It was painful out there.
I still think someone needs to get two advanced/professional drivers to line up the Supra and G87. But that supra will still win out of the hole 9/10 times.
Appreciate 3
eddj464.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
      05-16-2023, 08:51 AM   #13
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

what was the 1/4 mile trap speed measured at in those runs?

Also... I think this test shows true real world experience... not the supposed expert 'ring time chasers here who couldn't run under 9 minutes on the 'ring... this is why in the real world traction via awd and a autobox MEAN a ton.
02M3ForMe4257.00
      05-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #14
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd.point View Post
As a consumer, I always consider stuff like this on YT as entertainment. And yes, shifts were lifted off due to fear of spinning. Even as the driver of the M2, I can find better traction in an Aldi's parking lot. It was painful out there.
I still think someone needs to get two advanced/professional drivers to line up the Supra and G87. But that supra will still win out of the hole 9/10 times.

If anyone wants to see how the cars compare in a drag race, regardless of the length (1/8 or 1/4), it at the very least needs a start line, a starter, a finish line and either cameras at the finish line or a person at the finish line. If course that is on the atreet. If youbwant better real numbers, just take it to the local drag strip and run 'em under electronic timing.

I raced for a number of years at Gainesville Raceway under different classes and to me, videos like this are an abomination.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #15
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
lol maybe it was a guy w a stop watch, i have no idea... but its not the most objective test for sure

What, the same guy with a walkie talkie?
Appreciate 1
ASAP10131.00
      05-16-2023, 09:18 AM   #16
Chris13002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

It amazes me how these first YouTubers get their hands on the M2 and poorly represent the M2, while the Supra has perfect launches EVERY time. There's no doubt that the Supra is quick, but is the M2 really that hard to launch and shift properly? I have yet to try launch control in my 6-speed manual, but did they even have that turned on? It looks like traction control was on with all the bogging down.

I just re-watched this clip at 9:30 and he actually launched it before it was ready, but will the manual Supra beat this launch 9/10 times? I think it still comes down to the driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #17
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

no matter the tires and driver, that supra would still win 9/10 like @nd.point stated and that 1/10 would be a tie maybe.
Appreciate 1
Click_ID559.50
      05-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris13002 View Post
It amazes me how these first YouTubers get their hands on the M2 and poorly represent the M2, while the Supra has perfect launches EVERY time. There's no doubt that the Supra is quick, but is the M2 really that hard to launch and shift properly? I have yet to try launch control in my 6-speed manual, but did they even have that turned on? It looks like traction control was on with all the bogging down.

I just re-watched this clip at 9:30 and he actually launched it before it was ready, but will the manual Supra beat this launch 9/10 times? I think it still comes down to the driver.
https://youtu.be/_mldyKeyz98
even the auto F87 was hard to launch and almost always lost launches... which is why you always want the auto box version in these tests... a comparo of all of them in auto would have been way better and removed the large part of the driver equation
      05-16-2023, 09:38 AM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep

i think the guy was rude but i do understand where he is coming from... the M2 just came out and it's not in the best interests of the m2 to show it in a situation where it doesn't launch w a driver that's not the most experienced yet in the car and on a surface that is poorly prepped and timed vs a guy who really knows his car etc... this just doesn't offer much value... and samcarlegion as a reviewer should know better if he is to be taken seriously but alas he wants clicks
      05-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #20
Click_ID
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i think the guy was rude but i do understand where he is coming from... the M2 just came out and it's not in the best interests of the m2 to show it in a situation where it doesn't launch w a driver that's not the most experienced yet in the car and on a surface that is poorly prepped and timed vs a guy who really knows his car etc... this just doesn't offer much value... and samcarlegion as a reviewer should know better if he is to be taken seriously but alas he wants clicks
100%, its all for impressions. It's a rush to push out content.
But still, no place to insult fellow members. Data and times do not align with what actually happened.

There is a fine line between criticism and insult. If we want to put down others I am happy to start comparing other aspects of my life to theirs. The correct way at least what I thought was the correct way on the forum, is to seek the truth so we can all benefit.

If Mr. "I'm an ex-professional driver" has to pontificate and talk down to me to validate their own abilities, it showcases their true character.

As I've said before, I'm here to share my experiences with other hobbyists, not to seek approval.

Thanks, everyone for your feedback on this thread, I'll be taking a step back from this forum for the foreseeable future. This isn't the community I thought it was.
Appreciate 7
eddj464.50
RoidRage1503.50
cmgbk752631.50
m2ss1761.50
Sonic RR115.50
      05-16-2023, 10:02 AM   #21
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
I think we should be grateful for the effort and time spent with every content which some group of enthusiasts like us are tying to bring us even if it doesn't meet the expectations of everyone. And doing so in a polite and respectful way each time as well.
Appreciate 4
Click_ID559.50
Squidget3529.00
cmgbk752631.50
      05-16-2023, 10:44 AM   #22
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddj View Post
no matter the tires and driver, that supra would still win 9/10 like @nd.point stated and that 1/10 would be a tie maybe.

In a 1/8 or 1/4 drag race with both cars bone stock? I wouldnt be so sure of that...I would be glad to take that challenge on.
Appreciate 1
Click_ID559.50