bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

08-25-2024, 12:00 PM   #1
Dad of Two
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 40i

New car paint protection suggestions

I could use some advice.

I’m picking up my new 2025 X5 in a few weeks and want to start off on the right foot taking care of the paint.

Any recommendations on what to do when I get it?

I’m considering taking it somewhere for ceramic coating but, short of that, what can I do myself? I’ve read a bunch and it is all over the place. From starting with a clay bar then polishing and waxing to “just wash your car.” I’ve read alot about ceramic spray which sounds pretty good and the difference from professional ceramic being durability and longevity.

This is going to be my daily driver so not looking to make this a show car but I do want it to look nice.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 08:47 AM   #2
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

Depends on your expectations, your OCD level and how much time you have. And your budget! Ceramic coating is a great idea. Lasts a couple years, looks great and makes future maintenance easier.

If you're a little handy and interested, you can do it all yourself. Spend a few hours on youtube researching different processes and products. Otherwise find a mobile detailer or detail shop and let them set you up.

I like products from Carpro, Gyeon and Adam's, but most brands are good enough for the average person. I like AutoFiber towels and applicators. I have a cheap Amazon pressure washer with upgraded nozzles/fittings/hoses.

Decon Wash (Carpro Lift or Gyeon Restart)
Wheels and Tires (Adam's Wheel + Tire Cleaner)
Iron Decon (Adam's Iron remover)
Clay Decon (Autofiber clay towel)
Polish (Carpro Reflect) (assuming brand new car in decent shape)
Panel Prep wipe (Gyeon Prep)
Ceramic Coat (Gyeon MOHS EVO)

Maintenance Washes (Carpro Reset)
Drying Aid (Carpro Elixir or Gyeon Detailer)
Tire/Plastic Trim/Interior (Carpro Perl at different dilution rates)

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
David701672.00
Game7918.50
      08-27-2024, 09:34 AM   #3
Dad of Two
Rep

Thanks. Good info.

Have you ever heard about waiting 30-90 days for new paint to offgas before sealing? Some say that only applies to repainted cars at a body shop and not to brand new cars painted at the factory. I can’t tell if I need to wait a few weeks to do anything on my new X5 when I get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 11:11 AM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

If you can get the dealership to skip "prepping" the car for delivery you might be better off! They often induce swirls & defects that will have to be addressed if you decide on a ceramic coating or PPF.
Where in VA/which dealer?
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2024, 11:24 AM   #5
Dad of Two
Rep

I bought from Passport BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 01:37 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

If your cars tend to get a lot of rock chips along the hood, around where things get kicked up by the tires, on the bumpers, and so on you might consider the PPF films to guard against that. If you'd like it to stay a little cleaner and shinier is when you look at ceramic coatings. And of course you can do both. Some of it depends on how many miles you think you'll put on, if you park in your own garage indoors or a shared lot outside, how long you'll keep the car, etc. and as mentioned how much work you like to do or not. Some more info along those lines might help too. There's no one answer for everyone.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2024, 02:16 PM   #7
Dad of Two
Rep

The last few cars I’ve had I keep about 4 years and put about 13000 miles in per year. It will be parked in my own garage. Not a ton of rock chips and debris on the road in VA (at least where I drive) but there is some.

Appreciate 2
Duke2432.00
      08-27-2024, 04:57 PM   #8
John in VA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad of Two View Post
The last few cars I’ve had I keep about 4 years and put about 13000 miles in per year. It will be parked in my own garage. Not a ton of rock chips and debris on the road in VA (at least where I drive) but there is some.
PPF would be more bang for the buck - quite a few good installers here in northern VA. There are some good DIY sealants & ceramic products to keep the car shiny & easier to clean..
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2024, 08:01 PM   #9
BruinMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj_45e View Post
Depends on your expectations, your OCD level and how much time you have. And your budget! Ceramic coating is a great idea. Lasts a couple years, looks great and makes future maintenance easier.

If you're a little handy and interested, you can do it all yourself. Spend a few hours on youtube researching different processes and products. Otherwise find a mobile detailer or detail shop and let them set you up.

I like products from Carpro, Gyeon and Adam's, but most brands are good enough for the average person. I like AutoFiber towels and applicators. I have a cheap Amazon pressure washer with upgraded nozzles/fittings/hoses.

Decon Wash (Carpro Lift or Gyeon Restart)
Wheels and Tires (Adam's Wheel + Tire Cleaner)
Iron Decon (Adam's Iron remover)
Clay Decon (Autofiber clay towel)
Polish (Carpro Reflect) (assuming brand new car in decent shape)
Panel Prep wipe (Gyeon Prep)
Ceramic Coat (Gyeon MOHS EVO)

Maintenance Washes (Carpro Reset)
Drying Aid (Carpro Elixir or Gyeon Detailer)
Tire/Plastic Trim/Interior (Carpro Perl at different dilution rates)

Good luck!
Excellent and Perfect advice. You need to do the above for a Paint Correction before you seal your car with Ceramic coating.
Application needs to be done in your garage. If your aren’t a DIY, then expect to pay the average of $850

If you plan on hand washing your car. Get the EGO Power+ LB7654 765 CFM. The water will repel off with the leaf blower for an easy wipe off.
      08-28-2024, 07:28 AM   #10
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
If your cars tend to get a lot of rock chips along the hood, around where things get kicked up by the tires, on the bumpers, and so on you might consider the PPF films to guard against that. If you'd like it to stay a little cleaner and shinier is when you look at ceramic coatings. And of course you can do both. Some of it depends on how many miles you think you'll put on, if you park in your own garage indoors or a shared lot outside, how long you'll keep the car, etc. and as mentioned how much work you like to do or not. Some more info along those lines might help too. There's no one answer for everyone.
In a perfect world the OP would do both PPF and ceramic coating or get the more expensive PPF offered by some of the better brands that has a hydrophobic top-coat. Needless to say, the decision depends on his budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 08:41 AM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
In a perfect world the OP would do both PPF and ceramic coating or get the more expensive PPF offered by some of the better brands that has a hydrophobic top-coat. Needless to say, the decision depends on his budget.
Yep, for some people they won't ever realize the benefit, either because they don't notice or care or in some cases there's basically no benefit to be had.

If the vehicle is traded in, then any PPF or ceramic is probably not going to be much of a factor, if any, no bonus value from it. Then it's just for the owner's satisfaction. I might lean towards a spray coating applied to an applicator then to the car, with a microfiber wipe-off afterwards. Skip the paint work before-hand if there's nothing obvious. Make the car easier to have the car look good, keep clean and have water bead up on it and such. Apply once or twice a year. Enjoy the car and then after 4 or whatever years turn it in for another.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 05:18 PM   #12
mwarsh
Rep
Drives: x6

On my last car (Tesla) I had ppf put on front bumper, half of hood, and behind tires where rocks kick up. I also did a 5 year ceramic coating and tinted both front side windows and windshield with ceramic film.

Tomorrow I pick up my x6 and plan to do similar with the main add on being that I plan to put film on all windows and sunroof that will provide both UV protection and heat resistance. My Tesla had a huge window on top and the heat was insane. I ended up purchasing a large screen to help. This time I want to get ahead of things and just do the window film everywhere.

Like mentioned, all depends on ocd level, time planning on retaining vehicle (because it doesn’t seem to add to resale) and the climate/conditions your car will be exposed to.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 05:27 PM   #13
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad of Two View Post
Thanks. Good info.

Have you ever heard about waiting 30-90 days for new paint to offgas before sealing? Some say that only applies to repainted cars at a body shop and not to brand new cars painted at the factory. I can’t tell if I need to wait a few weeks to do anything on my new X5 when I get it.
Especially with sealing, I think if you look at the actual manufacture date until you actually get the work done that it ends up being over 30 days.
      09-05-2024, 09:50 PM   #14
QDawg12
Registered
Rep
Drives: 740 BMW

Looking for recommendations in the Tampa area

Anybody know or recommend a good place in the Tampa Florida area to get your car prepped, PPF and ceramic ?

Last edited by QDawg12; 09-05-2024 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 06:48 AM   #15
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Yep, for some people they won't ever realize the benefit, either because they don't notice or care or in some cases there's basically no benefit to be had.

If the vehicle is traded in, then any PPF or ceramic is probably not going to be much of a factor, if any, no bonus value from it. Then it's just for the owner's satisfaction. I might lean towards a spray coating applied to an applicator then to the car, with a microfiber wipe-off afterwards. Skip the paint work before-hand if there's nothing obvious. Make the car easier to have the car look good, keep clean and have water bead up on it and such. Apply once or twice a year. Enjoy the car and then after 4 or whatever years turn it in for another.
I will admit that there is a direct correlation between my having OCD and installing PPF + ceramic coating mainly because I had rock chips on the hood of my old Mercedes and looking at them would drive me crazy.

So when I purchased my Z4 and discovered a rock chip on my front bumper with only a few hundred miles on the odometer I immediately had the PPF and ceramic installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 08:19 AM   #16
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDawg12 View Post
Anybody know or recommend a good place in the Tampa Florida area to get your car prepped, PPF and ceramic ?
This is a poor place to find out about getting work done locally as you would be lucky to get one recommendation. I'm not a fan of FB for most things but I am in a local car group to my city, it has 32k members, most are some level of enthusiasts (average person doesn't care enough about cars to search out a group to discuss them) and when I want to know about ppf, car repair recommendations or whatever I get 20-30 recommendations in a day.
      09-06-2024, 08:47 AM   #17
John in VA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDawg12 View Post
There is a Florida regional section of the forum - you might ask there:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=561

You could also check with the BMW Car Club chapter in that area - they have a Tampa representative that might know a place: https://fscbmwcca.com/

Here's the list of the chapter's advertisers - one close to you might have a suggestion:
https://fscbmwcca.com/fsc-independen...ir-facilities/

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 08:54 AM   #18
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
There is a Florida regional section of the forum - you might ask there:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=561
Unfortunately that forum receives very little traffic and is not the greatest place to post a question like this.
Appreciate 0