turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Battery tender/trickle charger for long term

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey everyone,

as the title states, I'm looking for recommendations for trickle chargers/battery tenders as I'm going to be going away for around a month and I heard that you should hook up your battery to a battery tender if leaving the car alone for extended periods of time.

I bought a Noco Boost Plus around two years back as something to have just in case but have learned that it is only a jump starter/charger and not something to have hooked up to the battery for extended periods of time.

I've seen a lot of people recommend the Ctek MSX 5.0 and it seems that's what BMW uses as well but at over $100, I was wondering if there were any good alternatives that didn't cost nearly as much. I don't plan on leaving my car alone like this for more than once or twice a year. I've seen some options from Noco but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Noco battery tenders and if they're safe for our cars. Our cars have AGM batteries, not Li-ion right?

All help is appreciated, thanks!

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:29 PM   #2
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Hey everyone,

as the title states, I'm looking for recommendations for trickle chargers/battery tenders as I'm going to be going away for around a month and I heard that you should hook up your battery to a battery tender if leaving the car alone for extended periods of time.

I bought a Noco Boost Plus around two years back as something to have just in case but have learned that it is only a jump starter/charger and not something to have hooked up to the battery for extended periods of time.

I've seen a lot of people recommend the Ctek MSX 5.0 and it seems that's what BMW uses as well but at over $100, I was wondering if there were any good alternatives that didn't cost nearly as much. I don't plan on leaving my car alone like this for more than once or twice a year. I've seen some options from Noco but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Noco battery tenders and if they're safe for our cars. Our cars have AGM batteries, not Li-ion right?

All help is appreciated, thanks!
I heard this one is pretty solid…
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1127.50
      Today, 06:41 PM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
That's the one I use for my Z06. Was on sale a little while back for $87 I believe. I have an older CTEK that I've moved over to my son's Wrangler that's been working flawlessly for over 7 years. Why would one not spend over $100 on such a device?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:42 PM   #4
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
That one is perfect, set it to AGM and the car. That one you are posting is the MSX 5.0. That’s a great price. I’m going to get one of those myself.

EDIT: for me on Amazon that one is $94 …I got all excited…but if that price is real that’s fantastic for that charger/conditioner.
      Today, 06:50 PM   #5
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

This was my contribution for the day. You are all welcome.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1127.50
      Today, 07:35 PM   #6
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
I have used a Noco Genius2 for about a year with no issue. My Subaru had bad parasitic drain and was only driven every few days so it was plugged in full time when parked. $50 on Amazon right now.
Appreciate 0