bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

View Poll Results: idrive 7 or idrive 8 you prefer
idrive 7 111 75.51%
idrive 8 36 24.49%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

06-12-2022, 02:56 AM   #45
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The soft plastic enclosure of old mechanical clusters makes no sense for digital screens. There's no reason for it beyond aesthetics, and even that's questionable. Screens embedded in dashboards will look dated very soon once the migration is complete. Think 1970s TV sets in wooden enclosures.

When looking at a screen, the surrounding enclosure quickly fades away. Everyone wants the very smallest bezels possible to minimize form factor and maximize screen size. For practically any other device except for cars, it's preposterous to think that adding a sizable decorative enclosure around the screen makes the user experience better in any way. I'd much rather have more screen real estate than a non-functional plastic/leather surround that I don't even visually register once I actually start driving.

Specific to ID8 and its associated hardware, the graphics and screen quality are top notch and clearly stamp it as the generation ahead of ID7. I would not bet on ID7 cars retaining any additional value over ID8 cars; on the contrary, I think they'll take a hit once people get used to late model BMWs coming with ID8+. I personally sold my 2022 G42 and am getting back in line for a 2023 specifically for ID8 (I've had a couple of opportunities to step back into a 2022 and have turned them all down).
Appreciate 4
      06-12-2022, 06:09 AM   #46
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
The soft plastic enclosure of old mechanical clusters makes no sense for digital screens. There's no reason for it beyond aesthetics, and even that's questionable. Screens embedded in dashboards will look dated very soon once the migration is complete. Think 1970s TV sets in wooden enclosures.

When looking at a screen, the surrounding enclosure quickly fades away. Everyone wants the very smallest bezels possible to minimize form factor and maximize screen size. For practically any other device except for cars, it's preposterous to think that adding a sizable decorative enclosure around the screen makes the user experience better in any way.
This is exactly where I am at on this. The concept of surrounding the dashboard display with a needless binnacle is like 1996. An image floating in free space has been a desirable look in the home for decades. Cars are finally catching up.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4267.50
      06-12-2022, 06:37 AM   #47
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 240i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Performance is the reason

I had a 2020 240i convertible. Thought would be more practical to go with a X3 40i as a replacement. Boy it is a very nice SUV but I missed the performance/driving fun of the 2 series. So went to order a new 2022 240i. When I was driving home from dealer I was very happy with the purchase. Learning I will be bumped to a 2023 and this new Idrive 8 is a total surprise. Seems they would wait for the next update of entire car. I don't like the change (at this point) I didn't buy the car for the interior design. I am buying AGAIN for the performance and the fun of driving this car model. I8 will be the new normal and we BMW people will adjust.

Hap
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 07:01 PM   #48
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post

When looking at a screen, the surrounding enclosure quickly fades away. Everyone wants the very smallest bezels possible to minimize form factor and maximize screen size. For practically any other device except for cars, it's preposterous to think that adding a sizable decorative enclosure around the screen makes the user experience better in any way. I'd much rather have more screen real estate than a non-functional plastic/leather surround that I don't even visually register once I actually start driving.
ID8's integration in the g42 is not cohesive. There's a reason the latest Tesla Model S Redesign added an embedded screen into the dashboard but haven't done so for the 3 or Y. It's desirable, more functional, and more expensive to manufacture.

Look at Rivian's dash - futuristic and embedded. You like the floating screen? Take a look at the Lucid Air - a floating screen Thats done right.

This ID8 integration into the g42 feels like a sloppy quick add in for savings in manufacturing as the priority. I'd wager the LCI will have it properly integrated likely in 2-3 years. We're going to have 3 versions of the g42 interior, and Id wager the difference in resale value on 22's and 23's will be peanuts compared to the LCI.
Appreciate 2
eddj464.50
      06-19-2022, 03:13 AM   #49
krissh219
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cklam1209 View Post
after saw a new idrive 8 is coming on the 2 series, i think we need a poll to vote which one do you prefer on your car in future. my opinion i really don't like a idrive 8 and new gear shift.
My m240i is in quality check right now and is built in June, hopefully gets delivered in a month. I learnt that the model is built from July have iDrive 8. As a software I drive certainly is an upgrade from iDrive 7 in all aspects, but the led screen is a big let down. I don't like the led screen look at all specially with out the dome. I feel iDrive 8 on a previous dash with dome is the best mix. Also I am in a conflict if to order another one or to stick with the one which is under production. Can any one give some advice on this please? Also can we update to iDrive 8 from iDrive 7

Last edited by krissh219; 06-19-2022 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #50
steelatx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Just had a quick demo of idrive 8 at a bmw event and wow.. It's a lot. It seems buggy and slow compared to idrive 7 and these AC controls... It's too much. How is this safe to use while driving?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #51
tooly
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 m240i (ordered), 18 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelatx View Post
Just had a quick demo of idrive 8 at a bmw event and wow.. It's a lot. It seems buggy and slow compared to idrive 7 and these AC controls... It's too much. How is this safe to use while driving?
Lol that looks convoluted. So just at a quick glance… I have no idea what the climate controls are set to.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #52
steelatx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In their defense, the bottom where it says low is the temp and it's always visible, but fan speed or any other climate information is buried in the menus. And you'll notice there aren't shortcut radio keys anymore so you literally have to go into the menu.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #53
Cklam1209
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 230i

Quote:
I dont even like to click on every tiny symbol on the screen of Idrive 7 when i driving. Touchscreen works for typing, zoom in/out, swipe .... But everything we have to do with touvh screen is not a good idea 😂 imagine how annoy when we need to change tempeture or click to tiny symbol on the top right corner of the screen when driving 😂😢
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #54
datalist
Rep

I think the center console around the AC vents needs to be redesigned to go with the idrive 8, its obviously the just strapped the new display on with zero thought about design
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TJZ67201843.50
g42bmw50.50
      06-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #55
pbw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 240i xdrive g42

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cklam1209 View Post
Quote:
I dont even like to click on every tiny symbol on the screen of Idrive 7 when i driving. Touchscreen works for typing, zoom in/out, swipe .... But everything we have to do with touvh screen is not a good idea 😂 imagine how annoy when we need to change tempeture or click to tiny symbol on the top right corner of the screen when driving 😂😢
Fingerprints fingerprints & fingerprints! :
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 04:37 PM   #56
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
In their defense, the bottom where it says low is the temp and it's always visible, but fan speed or any other climate information is buried in the menus. And you'll notice there aren't shortcut radio keys anymore so you literally have to go into the menu.
There are still shortcut keys; they're software now.
BMW is leaning on voice control; and automation to provide a safe interface. Personally I don't like it, but that's obviously a key aspect of ID8.
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      06-20-2022, 11:19 PM   #57
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
There are still shortcut keys; they're software now.
BMW is leaning on voice control; and automation to provide a safe interface. Personally I don't like it, but that's obviously a key aspect of ID8.
and another key aspect of ID8 seems the support to the 5G data connection; as ID7, hardware -wise I think was unable to provide support for this new upcoming technology...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #58
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Too complicated and dangerous in a moving car.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 05:57 AM   #59
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
No Shifter lever ?

Anyone with close up pic of the shifter area on the I8 ?
I cant se how it works or what is in the place of shifter lever ?

Hap
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #60
tooly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
Anyone with close up pic of the shifter area on the I8 ?
I cant se how it works or what is in the place of shifter lever ?

Hap
https://www.bimmerfile.com/2022/04/2...on-small-cars/

"The gear selector you see above feels like the inevitable conclusion to BMW's content evolution of the center console. Last week we had went hands-on with the new lever (which is a loose term) and found it to be surprisingly easy and even satisfying to use.

All the current functionality is still there including a sport mode which is engaged by pulling the lever back beyond the "D" engagement point. From there you can use the steering wheel paddles to change gears."
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-24-2022, 05:16 AM   #61
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Humm ?

Thanks for the post...I guess I still don't see how it works. I will have to wait for the Youtube review !

Still waiting for allocation..
Hap
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #62
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Thanks for the post...I guess I still don't see how it works. I will have to wait for the Youtube review !

Hap
It's basically a switch that you pull towards you to make the different selections, as far as I can see.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #63
tooly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
Quote:

Hap
It's basically a switch that you pull towards you to make the different selections, as far as I can see.
Yeah… think of it like a light switch that toggles back and forth
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 06:36 PM   #64
hutchsoclutch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i XDrive

Can you simply turn the car off and have it go automatically into park like my Giulia?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #65
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchsoclutch View Post
Can you simply turn the car off and have it go automatically into park like my Giulia?
I would assume so. It's like that with the iDrive 7 shifter. Even if you have the shifter moved over to the left for sport shifting, it will also flip back to the middle on its own when turning the car off (as well as switching into park and setting the parking brake)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #66
hutchsoclutch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchsoclutch View Post
I would assume so. It's like that with the iDrive 7 shifter. Even if you have the shifter moved over to the left for sport shifting, it will also flip back to the middle on its own when turning the car off (as well as switching into park and setting the parking brake)
Nice! I always love seeing it pop itself out of manual mode haha. Realistically I think the new shifter set up will be totally functional and natural after the first few days with the car
Appreciate 0