BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

06-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #89
npirnia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dodge Viper, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
I have a driver profile set up and use the app and it's not remembering the disabling of the features, just the sensitivity of them.
Bummer…
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 01:21 AM   #90
JWG80M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by npirnia View Post
I finally saw the new M2 last night driving in my neighborhood. I think it looks awesome in person - very imposing and striking.

However, it is also now clear to me why so many don't like it as a "new M2" since it looks absolutely nothing like the F87!

Every part of the car looks different and it feels much more serious than the F87 (just what comes to mind).

The F87 and E8x 1 series were both short and somewhat tall (which lots of people like), giving the car a sort of "terrier" vibe. The G87 has much more classic coupe proportions with a longer dash to axle ratio and much longer looking hood that departs from the "small BMW look". Much more of a long and low look that the F87 doesn't have.

To me, it doesn't look like any prior BMW. Even though it has some classic BMW cues (like the kidney grills) the integration and execution is different from any BMW I've seen.

The end result is something that looks very impressive and very special, but not very BMW. I can also see how this would strike a long-time BMW fan as irreverent or arrogant - a successor that wants nothing to do with its highly successful predecessor.

A lot of people consider the F87 M2 to be the best M car of the last decade. I understand why this new one would immediately turn off these fans since it seems to send a message of "we know people liked the last car, but we through that all away and did this!"

Sort of explains to me why some YouTubers who really like the F87 (like Thomas from TH) seem so worked up and upset about the new one.

In any case, I was very impressed last [...]
I’m with you, love the look of the new M2 and should have mine in the next few weeks.

I tend to think, and maybe I’m giving too much credit here, that BMW did this to separate themselves from other manufacturers.

I fell in love with the BMW in the 80s and am of the opinion that around the early 2000s everything turned into what I call “bubble cars”. I grew up in Northern California and was surrounded by all the old muscle cars. Each had a style of their own and I loved the hard edges and muscular builds.

My view (humble opinion) of the modern car era is that they’ve all started to look the same. I am glad BMW did this with the M2 because I think it reintroduces something that is their own.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 01:38 AM   #91
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG80M3 View Post
I tend to think, and maybe I’m giving too much credit here, that BMW did this to separate themselves from other manufacturers.
No guessing required. BMW says this often and frequently in interviews, and has for decades. And yes, they said this for the G80, G82, G87, and XM.

And 1M. And F87. And Z3 M (Clown Shoe). And then there's all the Bangle-isms of the E series, etc.
Appreciate 1
JWG80M3233.00
      06-10-2023, 09:06 AM   #92
4NIQUES
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Cabriolet

I have the G83 and I am telling you I am in love with this beast. Ive driven bmws for 15 years and I have a F82 before - hands down this is a better car and I thought I got compliments before?? There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t get a thumbs up or stares or someone taking a video or a photo. I’ve had this car for 2 years and I still have the biggest smile on my face every time I hit the gas pedal and sit my ass on the Kyalami orange leather. I know my next vehicle will be a 911 - and a 911 wins hands down but the G8X is a real eye catcher! Thanks for sharing your post and experience- I hope all the G8X haters eat their hearts out!! All the people who spoke about how ugly the car is- are now lining up to get one!! There’s zero comparison between the F and the G!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
JustinHEMI7445.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
SebG87265.00
      06-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #93
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NIQUES View Post
I have the G83 and I am telling you I am in love with this beast. Ive driven bmws for 15 years and I have a F82 before - hands down this is a better car and I thought I got compliments before?? There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t get a thumbs up or stares or someone taking a video or a photo. I’ve had this car for 2 years and I still have the biggest smile on my face every time I hit the gas pedal and sit my ass on the Kyalami orange leather. I know my next vehicle will be a 911 - and a 911 wins hands down but the G8X is a real eye catcher! Thanks for sharing your post and experience- I hope all the G8X haters eat their hearts out!! All the people who spoke about how ugly the car is- are now lining up to get one!! There’s zero comparison between the F and the G!!
This!
(Except the part about a 911 being better, it’s absolutely not)

There isn’t a day that people don’t stop to stare and take pictures/videos, that thumbs up are given, that comments are made…

It’s actually a bit strange to me. There was a day I thought the guy had road rage, and I kept trying to drive away and then he passed me and gave me a thumbs up. He was getting too closed to the side of the car, to look.

You see these cars in pictures… but once you appreciate it in person, the presence and proportions… you understand.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7445.00
      06-10-2023, 09:37 AM   #94
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

The attention this car draws is unlike anything I've experienced with a car before. Not sure I like it, to be honest. Sometimes wishing for my F87 which blended in with the crowd.

BUT, I do like interacting with people so it definitely drives that. Just sometimes it's inconvenient.
02M3ForMe4261.50
      06-10-2023, 03:23 PM   #95
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
This!
(Except the part about a 911 being better, it’s absolutely not)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
c1pher4671.50
      06-11-2023, 09:16 AM   #96
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Definitely though the car was a bit quiet when I test drove the HEA, and the fake noise is pretty obvious. I'll probably do an intake and an exhaust modification at some point. Have you found the setting to lower the fake engine noise coming through the speakers?
I haven't read through the 5 pages of comments so forgive me if this is already answered. I don't think you can make the adjustment in ID8 and you certainly cannot get rid of it totally. I think your two options are coding it out with Bimmercode (may not be available yet) or unplugging the Active Sound Design module. I think im going to go the 2nd route.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 10:12 AM   #97
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
I haven't read through the 5 pages of comments so forgive me if this is already answered. I don't think you can make the adjustment in ID8 and you certainly cannot get rid of it totally. I think your two options are coding it out with Bimmercode (may not be available yet) or unplugging the Active Sound Design module. I think im going to go the 2nd route.
That’s annoying. Thanks for commenting!

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 12:28 AM   #98
npirnia
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
I have a driver profile set up and use the app and it's not remembering the disabling of the features, just the sensitivity of them.
Quick update:

I took delivery of my M2 on 6/10 and it does allow me to save my driver's assistance settings to my driver profile. Every time I start my car, the lane-keep assist remains off along with the lowest setting for the frontal collision warning. It also allows for things like setting the exhaust to default to loud on start-up even with everything in comfort mode.

However, I think you adjust these features through the BMW profile and not the regular vehicle settings in iDrive 8. The BMW Genius showed me how to do this, but I may not be remembering right. Especially since I'm not out of town for 2 weeks.

But I would try going through the menu that I attached to this post. You set up a driver profile through the "MyBMW" app and it connects to a specific key for the vehicle.

Once that profile is set, the car will bring up the menu in the post whenever you enter the vehicle, but before start-up. Mine shows that some of my driver assistance systems are off. Through this menu (the option just below the assistance warning) you can set-up both driver's assistance features and some M specific features (like exhaust) that links to your driver's profile.

I'd give this a try and see if it works.

I'll mess with it a bit more when I get back. If I can't remember and this doesn't work, I'll call the guy who set things up for me and confirm how it is done.

But the good news is that these systems can be personalized for the M2 like other iDrive 8 BMWs and you don't have to set them up every time you drive.

-Nick
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
02M3ForMe4261.50
Squidget3529.00
stvward133.00
JustinHEMI7445.00
uk0168573.50
Bumpinjeep5531.00
      06-13-2023, 02:01 AM   #99
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Quick update:

I took delivery of my M2 on 6/10 and it does allow me to save my driver's assistance settings to my driver profile. Every time I start my car, the lane-keep assist remains off along with the lowest setting for the frontal collision warning. It also allows for things like setting the exhaust to default to loud on start-up even with everything in comfort mode.

However, I think you adjust these features through the BMW profile and not the regular vehicle settings in iDrive 8. The BMW Genius showed me how to do this, but I may not be remembering right. Especially since I'm not out of town for 2 weeks.

But I would try going through the menu that I attached to this post. You set up a driver profile through the "MyBMW" app and it connects to a specific key for the vehicle.

Once that profile is set, the car will bring up the menu in the post whenever you enter the vehicle, but before start-up. Mine shows that some of my driver assistance systems are off. Through this menu (the option just below the assistance warning) you can set-up both driver's assistance features and some M specific features (like exhaust) that links to your driver's profile.

I'll mess with it a bit more when I get back. If I can't remember and this doesn't work, I'll call the guy who set things up for me and confirm how it is done.

But the good news is that these systems can be personalized for the M2 like other iDrive 8 BMWs and you don't have to set them up every time you drive.

-Nick
I’m sorry but the exhaust doesn’t go “loud” in efficient mode, so loud start up is an impossibility. Your genius should have known that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 02:29 AM   #100
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

That black Viper in a dark garage is scary AF, by the way. Looks like a machine from hell ready to do some killing. (Which isn't too far off, really, lol).
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 06:20 AM   #101
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quick update:

-Nick
Nice I'll give that a try. I didn't realize there was another profile to set up in the app too.
      06-13-2023, 10:03 AM   #102
npirnia
Private
Rep

Quote:
I’m sorry but the exhaust doesn’t go “loud” in efficient mode, so loud start up is an impossibility. Your genius should have known that.
There's that word again - "should" :P

It is the same as pressing the exhaust button on the center console and it does change the exhaust sound a bit even in the default efficient mode. Probably not as loud as it would be in Sport (I haven't tried yet), but you can set the "M exhaust" on by default if you would like.

-Nick

Last edited by npirnia; 06-13-2023 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 10:05 AM   #103
npirnia
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
That black Viper in a dark garage is scary AF, by the way. Looks like a machine from hell ready to do some killing. (Which isn't too far off, really, lol).
Thanks!

It is only slightly less sinister in daylight.
(The photo was taken by a photographer at a rally I attended - hence the watermark).

-Nick
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Squidget3529.00
Ravenseal2744.50
      06-13-2023, 10:11 AM   #104
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
There's that word again - should! :P

It is the same as pressing the exhaust button on the center console and it does change the exhaust sound a bit even in the default efficient mode. Probably not as loud as it would be in Sport (I haven't tried yet), but you can set the "M exhaust" on by default if you would like.

-Nick
The should part is awesome, we’re finding that even BMW Corporate doesn’t know anything about these cars lol

But hang on a sec, you’re saying your car changes sound when you push the button in efficient mode?
When you’re back home, can you post a video of your exhaust in efficient when you push the button?

It shouldn’t change anything in efficient. I don’t think it does in my car and the manual states as much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #105
npirnia
Private
Rep

Quote:
The should part is awesome, we’re finding that even BMW Corporate doesn’t know anything about these cars lol

But hang on a sec, you’re saying your car changes sound when you push the button in efficient mode?
When you’re back home, can you post a video of your exhaust in efficient when you push the button?

It shouldn’t change anything in efficient. I don’t think it does in my car and the manual states as much.
It does seem to and I can take a video. I'm hearing the difference in the cabin during driving with more bass coming through with the exhaust selected on.

The BMW corporate language does not say that the Exhaust button doesn't work in the Efficient mode. (lovely double negative there)

It says that Sport and Sport plus changes the exhaust sound, but doesn't specify what the M exhaust button does in addition to these modes. There is also nothing mutually exclusive about the language so it certainly could have an effect in Efficient given what is written. The writing is vague and makes sense since BMW is effectively ESL.

It does seem to not matter if it defaults on for start-up since it does state that the button was no effect during warm-up. That makes sense to me.

-Nick
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      06-13-2023, 10:53 AM   #106
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
It does seem to and I can take a video. I'm hearing the difference in the cabin during driving with more bass coming through with the exhaust selected on.

The BMW corporate language does not say that the Exhaust button doesn't work in the Efficient mode. (lovely double negative there)

It says that Sport and Sport plus changes the exhaust sound, but doesn't specify what the M exhaust button does in addition to these modes. There is also nothing mutually exclusive about the language so it certainly could have an effect in Efficient given what is written. The writing is vague and makes sense since BMW is effectively ESL.

It does seem to not matter if it defaults on for start-up since it does state that the button was no effect during warm-up. That makes sense to me.

-Nick
Combining your experience with mine, I think we’re hearing differences in the interior with the sound pipes through speakers.

Because during warm-up, if I put the engine in Sport or Plus, and turn on the exhaust, it definitely sounds much louder inside.

I’ll shoot the video too for the warm up piece because now I have doubts it changes the actual exhaust (according to the manual).
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 11:04 AM   #107
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Thanks!

It is only slightly less sinister in daylight.
(The photo was taken by a photographer at a rally I attended - hence the watermark).

-Nick
Must...not...fap
Squidget3529.00
      06-13-2023, 11:43 AM   #108
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
-Nick
Nice Viper. Lol.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 03:55 PM   #109
Blue Hornet
#EmToo
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Quick update:

-Nick
Congrats on the new beast! Great news about the setup and thank you for posting the details. I'm getting mine as soon as this week (at the port, waiting to be put on zee truck) and will make sure the Genius goes through all of this with me.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 10:36 PM   #110
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
There's that word again - "should" :P

-Nick
I shot the video. I heard the different note in Efficient INSIDE the car. Not outside:

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30221671
Appreciate 0