BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

06-15-2023, 08:34 AM   #111
npirnia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dodge Viper, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I shot the video. I heard the different note in Efficient INSIDE the car. Not outside:

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30221671
That makes sense.

Thank you for checking that out!

-Nick
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      06-15-2023, 08:37 AM   #112
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by npirnia View Post
That makes sense.

Thank you for checking that out!

-Nick
It’s interesting that I had never noticed a difference in efficient inside. But because I was watching out for it I could hear it.

Then reading the manual it makes more sense… note how BMW is very “vague” about the button and what it does, as they don’t talk about the exhaust proper, but the “sound” you hear…

The funniest part to me is that I thought ASD was disabled through the coding app… apparently the function doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #113
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quick update:

I took delivery of my M2 on 6/10 and it does allow me to save my driver's assistance settings to my driver profile. Every time I start my car, the lane-keep assist remains off along with the lowest setting for the frontal collision warning. It also allows for things like setting the exhaust to default to loud on start-up even with everything in comfort mode.

However, I think you adjust these features through the BMW profile and not the regular vehicle settings in iDrive 8. The BMW Genius showed me how to do this, but I may not be remembering right. Especially since I'm not out of town for 2 weeks.

But I would try going through the menu that I attached to this post. You set up a driver profile through the "MyBMW" app and it connects to a specific key for the vehicle.

Once that profile is set, the car will bring up the menu in the post whenever you enter the vehicle, but before start-up. Mine shows that some of my driver assistance systems are off. Through this menu (the option just below the assistance warning) you can set-up both driver's assistance features and some M specific features (like exhaust) that links to your driver's profile.

I'd give this a try and see if it works.

I'll mess with it a bit more when I get back. If I can't remember and this doesn't work, I'll call the guy who set things up for me and confirm how it is done.

But the good news is that these systems can be personalized for the M2 like other iDrive 8 BMWs and you don't have to set them up every time you drive.

-Nick

Circling back to this. I can't seem to find anything in the app that would allow me to do this. (Android). Any additional tips?
      06-16-2023, 09:55 PM   #114
Beefus6MT
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Circling back to this. I can't seem to find anything in the app that would allow me to do this. (Android). Any additional tips?
Seconded (also android), would love to know how to solve my biggest software gripe.

2nd, far far less annoying, I turned off the auto door locks, but once a week or so the locks will click shut as I drive off, like it's got alzheimer's. I triple check and ya, that is still off....
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7445.00
      06-16-2023, 10:06 PM   #115
npirnia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Dodge Viper, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
I'm out of town, but will mess around with things when I get back on 6/25. Maybe I can find a step by step way to do it and hopefully it will work like mine does.

If all else fails, I'll call my BMW Genius and see what he says.

-Nick
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7445.00
      06-16-2023, 10:11 PM   #116
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
I'm out of town, but will mess around with things when I get back on 6/25. Maybe I can find a step by step way to do it and hopefully it will work like mine does.

If all else fails, I'll call my BMW Genius and see what he says.

-Nick
Thank you. I'll also keep searching and messing around.
      08-11-2023, 12:15 PM   #117
4NIQUES
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
This!
(Except the part about a 911 being better, it’s absolutely not)

There isn’t a day that people don’t stop to stare and take pictures/videos, that thumbs up are given, that comments are made…

It’s actually a bit strange to me. There was a day I thought the guy had road rage, and I kept trying to drive away and then he passed me and gave me a thumbs up. He was getting too closed to the side of the car, to look.

You see these cars in pictures… but once you appreciate it in person, the presence and proportions… you understand.
I thought the 911 Was the ULTIMATE SPORTS CAR!! Tell me why you think it isnt? I asked BMW if I should get an M8 or 911 next and they said the M8 is for someone over 65 LOL... I love my M4 so badly!! I sometimes wonder how I will give it up for a 911
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 06:01 PM   #118
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NIQUES View Post
I thought the 911 Was the ULTIMATE SPORTS CAR!! Tell me why you think it isnt? I asked BMW if I should get an M8 or 911 next and they said the M8 is for someone over 65 LOL... I love my M4 so badly!! I sometimes wonder how I will give it up for a 911
Simple: the 911 doesn’t fit my son.
The ultimate sports car is the car I can have a joy ride with my son.

There are maybe 4 cars in the world that compete with the M2 (manual), and the M2 is the best of them.

It’s also important to note I use comparative words correctly, not how forum members do it.
To other people here “it’s faster, so it’s better”.
Better, worse, all are subject to your use case.

For my use case, the M2 is the best car in the world.

Someone mentioned a formula 1 in another thread as if that was “better”. I said a formula 1 car is the worst car in the world. And it is, when compared to what we use our cars for.
Appreciate 2
KCuv421.50
ayilar16.00
      08-11-2023, 06:36 PM   #119
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Yeah, it's not too hard to whip up a scenario where the M2 is obviously the best car.

Something like: a new, MT, RWD 4 seater that is great as both a daily-driver and track car for less than $80K.

Even if you give a lot of leeway, that pretty quickly trims you down to various american muscley cars (Camaro, Mustang), the Caddy BW4, the G87, and the G8xes. (And in a lower price segments, GR86, Golf-R, the Hyundai N cars.)

If you've got the money, I argue that the G87 sweeps all of them away pretty easily, except the BW4.

Ever since Porsche effectively exited the sub $90K space, AMG forgot how to build sports cars, and Audi dropped manuals, it's been slim pickings outside of M division.
Appreciate 3
M2siast5876.00
KCuv421.50
cmgbk752631.50
      08-11-2023, 06:38 PM   #120
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
A 911 and an M8 are not even remote similar cars imo. The things they excel at are completely different. Do you want driver engagement and handling? Or luxury and effortless speed?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 11:50 PM   #121
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedan

I'm going to revive the theme of this thread, which is initial g87 owner pressions (thank you JustinHEMI ) and not pcar comparisons.

I have a few other impressions I might add later but to reroute this thread let's get started.

Coming from my manual 72 super beetle more recently, my 135i(dct), and a while back an E36(mt and a/t) m3 here are my thoughts:

The steering is a little more numb than I had hoped, but holy smokes is it precise, setting a line on a turn rarely requires an adjustment.

The clutch is surprisingly more numb than I had hoped, I'm hoping CDV delete can improve this, but I have little hope.

The seats (carbon buckets): I wish I could have gotten them as a stand-alone option as I prefer a sunroof, but the seats are my favorite part of the car so far, I could sit in the for days, and I intend to use my m-driving experience. The seats are amazing! The seated position is lower than expected and ergonomics are great.

The back seat is more spacious than expected.

I had a guy walk into a store today, somehow figured out I was the owner of my car, shouted a comment so quick my wife had to clarify what he said, then sat in his car in the parking lot till I came out and then proceeded to tell me he dislikes bmw's, but likes mine, and asked to sit in the seats, adjusted it to his liking and couldn't stop praising the car.

I personally dislike any sort of attention, but I should have been more prepared with this car.

The car is insanely planted, on roads my 135 feels like it would rather be sideways on, the m2 knows where it is meant to be, no 2nd guesses.

I will probably add to this thread again in a few days, but this car is such a weird combo of luxury, modern sports car, and space ship.
Appreciate 8
M2siast5876.00
KCuv421.50
JustinHEMI7445.00
cmgbk752631.50
DSTR1241.00
ayilar16.00
      08-12-2023, 05:28 PM   #122
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Grass is always greener…I have a 992, but I have been lusting after the new M2. Heck, I would even take back my previous F87 M2…should never have sold it.

Thank you for sharing the impressions!
      08-12-2023, 05:55 PM   #123
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
I definitely think it depends on what you’re looking for. There’s a reason why M cars and Porsches get compared in reviews all the time. The performance envelopes definitely overlap. One might be a little more luxurious or faster etc but you’re talking about very good, some of the best cars made that regular humans can possibly afford (aren’t hyper cars for billionaires).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 05:57 PM   #124
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Grass is always greener…I have a 992, but I have been listing after the new M2. Heck, I would even take back my previous F87 M2…should never have sold it.

Thank you for sharing the impressions!
I am trying to continue to own my 992 while also having the G87 lol.
Appreciate 1
KCuv421.50
      08-12-2023, 09:49 PM   #125
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0m0 View Post
I'm going to revive the theme of this thread, which is initial g87 owner pressions (thank you JustinHEMI ) and not pcar comparisons.

I have a few other impressions I might add later but to reroute this thread let's get started.

Coming from my manual 72 super beetle more recently, my 135i(dct), and a while back an E36(mt and a/t) m3 here are my thoughts:

The steering is a little more numb than I had hoped, but holy smokes is it precise, setting a line on a turn rarely requires an adjustment.

The clutch is surprisingly more numb than I had hoped, I'm hoping CDV delete can improve this, but I have little hope.

The seats (carbon buckets): I wish I could have gotten them as a stand-alone option as I prefer a sunroof, but the seats are my favorite part of the car so far, I could sit in the for days, and I intend to use my m-driving experience. The seats are amazing! The seated position is lower than expected and ergonomics are great.

The back seat is more spacious than expected.

I had a guy walk into a store today, somehow figured out I was the owner of my car, shouted a comment so quick my wife had to clarify what he said, then sat in his car in the parking lot till I came out and then proceeded to tell me he dislikes bmw's, but likes mine, and asked to sit in the seats, adjusted it to his liking and couldn't stop praising the car.

I personally dislike any sort of attention, but I should have been more prepared with this car.

The car is insanely planted, on roads my 135 feels like it would rather be sideways on, the m2 knows where it is meant to be, no 2nd guesses.

I will probably add to this thread again in a few days, but this car is such a weird combo of luxury, modern sports car, and space ship.

The attention was insane. Another memorable one was a woman with her nails painted a similar shade and wanting to take all kinds of pictures with it.

I had an existential crisis about my manhood after that.
ronin130131000.50
      08-12-2023, 10:50 PM   #126
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
The attention was insane. Another memorable one was a woman with her nails painted a similar shade and wanting to take all kinds of pictures with it.

I had an existential crisis about my manhood after that.
With 2 daughters my manhood has had enough crisis's. My toenails have been painted for the past 6 years.

2 other observations:

1. The visibility is phenomenal, almost as good as our beetle. It's a pretty big car compared to my E36, and I'm not going to say "it feels smaller than it is" because it really doesn't, but it's easy to be confident of where the edges/corners are.

2. ZB gets better every day. I liked it since I first saw it in SC, but the more I see it at sunset, or in the shade, or in my garage, etc, it just looks better and better.
Appreciate 2
DSTR1241.00
ourlee917.00
      08-13-2023, 06:43 AM   #127
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0m0 View Post
this car is such a weird combo of luxury, modern sports car, and space ship.
Its a PERFECT combo of Luxury, Modern Sports-car and space ship!

The combination of hardware, design and software to offer such performance is quite impressive. Yet we hear how BMW fails to offer true driving machines.

This I find false.

The focus of light and utter performance feedback is found in Caterham and other, similar, Lotus-esque machinery. If that is your primary focus this is not the car for you and that is UTTERLY obvious.
Appreciate 0