home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-25-2024, 08:52 AM   #1
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Rear brake issue

Looking for insight here. About 2 weeks ago I disengaged my parking brake and the pad was stuck because it was a day following a rainstorm. This was really stuck, and took more than a bit of throttle to get it to “pop” off the rotor and get the car moving and it was loud. I’ve had the emergency brake stick here and there in the past but this was really stuck.

2 weeks out from that and here is my drivers side rotor…looks like I damaged the pad. Not sure if the E-Brake has a secondary pad or just uses the main rear pads?

Going to take it to my dealer, but they book a month out. Hoping it just needs new pads…Any ideas what’s going on?
      08-25-2024, 09:32 AM   #2
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
Looking for insight here. About 2 weeks ago I disengaged my parking brake and the pad was stuck because it was a day following a rainstorm. This was really stuck, and took more than a bit of throttle to get it to “pop” off the rotor and get the car moving and it was loud. I’ve had the emergency brake stick here and there in the past but this was really stuck.

2 weeks out from that and here is my drivers side rotor…looks like I damaged the pad. Not sure if the E-Brake has a secondary pad or just uses the main rear pads?

Going to take it to my dealer, but they book a month out. Hoping it just needs new pads…Any ideas what’s going on?

A month out? Go to you CA to get you a sooner appointment (he/she is YOUR contact and should always be there to help you).
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      08-25-2024, 09:41 AM   #3
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Stock pads? iSweeps?
      08-25-2024, 12:42 PM   #4
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Stock pads? iSweeps?
Stock pads. I just don’t want to have to replace a rotor if it goes on very long, “wearable part” = no warranty. So maybe will just go to iSweeps now. The squealing has been killing me with the stock pads anyway
      08-27-2024, 06:09 PM   #5
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Ok, so dealer was able to get me in today to look at it. Drivers rear brake pads delaminated and cracked. With the emergency brake on, the pad stuck to the rotor and when the e-brake disengaged the pad material pulled off of the backing plate of the pad as the business end of the pad was rusted to the rotor (and some pad went missing). Dealer opened a case with BMW for warranty replacement, but no guarantee as it’s a wearable part. Car has 2900 miles.
      08-27-2024, 10:15 PM   #6
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dang. Hope they do the right thing here.
      08-28-2024, 07:55 AM   #7
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Ok, so dealer was able to get me in today to look at it. Drivers rear brake pads delaminated and cracked. With the emergency brake on, the pad stuck to the rotor and when the e-brake disengaged the pad material pulled off of the backing plate of the pad as the business end of the pad was rusted to the rotor (and some pad went missing). Dealer opened a case with BMW for warranty replacement, but no guarantee as it’s a wearable part. Car has 2900 miles.

Glad they got you in (as they should have first off). Hope they take care of it for you.. this does not sound like it should fall under normal wear and tear.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      08-28-2024, 01:35 PM   #8
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Glad they got you in (as they should have first off). Hope they take care of it for you.. this does not sound like it should fall under normal wear and tear.
Looking like it will not be covered, because the "car was washed".

So there is a BMW service bulletin out there that if any cleaning products touch these brake pads they are known to delaminate. This includes "car washes". BMW has initially denied repairing them because my brake pads look "just like what pads look like that had cleaning chemicals on them." The dealer is presently going back and forth with BMW on this.

I would love to see a copy of this BMW service bulletin, because I was never told to not wash my car as it will void any brake warranty.

What utter BS. Manual cars have to be parked with the brake on. There is no other option. It is also obvious that owners will wash their cars. Parking brakes will occasionally bind. It is on the manufacturer to ensure that the system can withstand normal expected operational conditions, and these clearly do not.
      08-28-2024, 03:57 PM   #9
ourlee
Major
Rep
Drives: WTB your comfort seats

IYO, do you think this happens with isweep?
      08-28-2024, 04:08 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Best to dry the pads after washing the car. I always left-foot brake for half a kilometre or so to dry the pads before parking the car. Especially important around here in the winter when washing the car at or below freezing, as besides corrosion, ice can hold the pads tightly to the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 04:33 PM   #11
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Manual cars do not have to be parked with the brake engaged.

That being said, I would push this case to the very top.

Best of luck to you. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Appreciate 1
chris7197535.00
      08-28-2024, 04:48 PM   #12
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
IYO, do you think this happens with isweep?
Likely not as much, I think BMW cheapened their compound and it is more iron heavy, hence the brown dust everywhere and my parking brake has always been sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Best to dry the pads after washing the car. I always left-foot brake for half a kilometre or so to dry the pads before parking the car. Especially important around here in the winter when washing the car at or below freezing, as besides corrosion, ice can hold the pads tightly to the rotors.
Agree with this but it was parked after a rainstorm. The compound should fit the use case, daily driver and the pad shouldn't rust to the rotor. FXX generation didn't do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post

Best of luck to you. ������������
Thanks. Agree, but will change that to SHOULD be parked with the brake engaged. In my case that means all the time. Driven manual my entire life, and argue that there is never a reason not to use it when parked until now: you drive a BMW whose pads will fuse to the rotor, thereby destroying them.
      08-28-2024, 06:51 PM   #13
ourlee
Major
Rep
Drives: WTB your comfort seats

Thanks. I’m going to ask the dealer to install a Mishimoto skid plate and isweeps all around before I take delivery.
      08-28-2024, 08:15 PM   #14
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

WTF - that’s complete BS. Fight!
      08-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #15
BradMX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 MX5

Tell them you put a condom over the pads every time you wash the car.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      08-28-2024, 08:47 PM   #16
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Likely not as much, I think BMW cheapened their compound and it is more iron heavy, hence the brown dust everywhere and my parking brake has always been sticky.
Not really a cheap or BMW compound. They are either an Akebono NS or Pagid PA high performance street compound, both with GG compound ratings (near the top of any street pad). The dusting is more a consequence of meeting the low temp and high temp friction requirements to meet the GG requirements and also meet the environmental regulations in various jurisdictions (such as less than 0.5% copper, etc).

It would be interesting to know which pad manufacturer you had that failed.

Few aftermarket pads meet or exceed the GG friction certification and in many cases don’t have a certification. The most aggressive pads have no problem in meeting high temp “G” or “H” rating (the second letter), but have problems also meeting the low temp rating (the first letter) at a “G” level.
Appreciate 1
chris7197535.00
      08-28-2024, 09:40 PM   #17
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Not really a cheap or BMW compound. They are either an Akebono NS or Pagid PA high performance street compound, both with GG compound ratings (near the top of any street pad). The dusting is more a consequence of meeting the low temp and high temp friction requirements to meet the GG requirements and also meet the environmental regulations in various jurisdictions (such as less than 0.5% copper, etc).
Great insight, thanks. I believe they said mine are Brembo pads (helps to have a friend who’s a tech). King of the street dusting whenever I’ve had them on other cars, but they are great.

Waiting on the reply and what happens. I already have the squeaky wheels , I can afford pads, this is just a principle thing now. It was denied because of cleaning products I never used, or at least that’s the story. In my book a legit malfunction.
      08-28-2024, 09:58 PM   #18
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Great insight, thanks. I believe they said mine are Brembo pads (helps to have a friend who’s a tech). King of the street dusting whenever I’ve had them on other cars, but they are great.

Waiting on the reply and what happens. I already have the squeaky wheels , I can afford pads, this is just a principle thing now. It was denied because of cleaning products I never used, or at least that’s the story. In my book a legit malfunction.
I would push hard for goodwill replacement at least. If not, have them document why and what cleaning issue caused it and that you want it escalated to BMW corporate and a review from the technical rep.

The Brembo branded pads on the rear are manufactured as Pagid PA4392 pads with also a Brembo and BMW part number on them.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      08-29-2024, 06:06 AM   #19
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post

Best of luck to you. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
If the car is parked on a hill and the parking brake not engaged even though the transmission is in gear the car will roll.

I confirmed my M2 (w/6-speed manual) will roll under these circumstances.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1484.00
      08-29-2024, 06:14 AM   #20
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:

Agree with this but it was parked after a rainstorm. The compound should fit the use case, daily driver and the pad shouldn't rust to the rotor. FXX generation didn't do this.

Thanks. Agree, but will change that to SHOULD be parked with the brake engaged. In my case that means all the time. Driven manual my entire life, and argue that there is never a reason not to use it when parked until now: you drive a BMW whose pads will fuse to the rotor, thereby destroying them.

After a car wash I drive the car and use the brakes enough to get them hot and dry. Left foot braking while driving at least. But I have a route that allows me to do a mini brake bedding in -- several braking events from speed in rapid succession -- to get some heat into the brakes.

After getting the brakes hot to dry them then I drive the car enough to give the brakes time to cool down before I park the car.

If I drive the car in rain I left foot brake a bit of distance before I reach home. This braking will warm up the brakes and dry them before I put the car in the garage.

If my car is parked out in the rain I remember to when I can use the brakes to slow -- but *not* stop -- the car a couple of times to remove any rust.
Appreciate 2
Mr. Hankey1484.00
aerobod4129.00
      08-29-2024, 07:34 AM   #21
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
I would push hard for goodwill replacement at least. If not, have them document why and what cleaning issue caused it and that you want it escalated to BMW corporate and a review from the technical rep.

The Brembo branded pads on the rear are manufactured as Pagid PA4392 pads with also a Brembo and BMW part number on them.
Appreciate it! This is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
After a car wash I drive the car and use the brakes enough to get them hot and dry. Left foot braking while driving at least. But I have a route that allows me to do a mini brake bedding in -- several braking events from speed in rapid succession -- to get some heat into the brakes.

After getting the brakes hot to dry them then I drive the car enough to give the brakes time to cool down before I park the car.

If I drive the car in rain I left foot brake a bit of distance before I reach home. This braking will warm up the brakes and dry them before I put the car in the garage.

If my car is parked out in the rain I remember to when I can use the brakes to slow -- but *not* stop -- the car a couple of times to remove any rust.
I've had the pads stick in all cars in the past in various cars following rain, but never like this. Tough way to learn this lesson, and not the first thing on my mind when driving home after a 16 hour day (which this was). In the words of Milli-Vanilli I guess I'm just going to "blame it on the rain"....if you know that song, you're welcome
      08-29-2024, 07:47 AM   #22
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
If the car is parked on a hill and the parking brake not engaged even though the transmission is in gear the car will roll.

I confirmed my M2 (w/6-speed manual) will roll under these circumstances.
If parked uphill, place the car in first gear. Engine compression will prevent rolling.

If parked downhill, place car in reverse.

Try it, you’ll learn something.
Appreciate 0