BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

02-21-2024, 01:59 PM   #1
jstaylo2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

Greetings -New Member-

Hi All,

I've been lurking around for a while and, with minor trepidation, decided to make an account and say hello. Currently waiting on my allocation for a 6MT G87. 4-5 more months so I'm told

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. I hope all you car guys and gals are having a lovely day.
Appreciate 15
      02-21-2024, 02:30 PM   #2
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaylo2 View Post
Hi All,

I've been lurking around for a while and, with minor trepidation, decided to make an account and say hello. Currently waiting on my allocation for a 6MT G87. 4-5 more months so I'm told

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. I hope all you car guys and gals are having a lovely day.
Welcome to the club. Lots of resources here and helpful forum members that know a thing or two on the G87. I'm 1 month of ownership into my 6mt G87. It was well worth the wait.
Vinknee88.50
      02-21-2024, 03:16 PM   #3
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Hi All,

Welcome to the forum, officially. I'm sure someone has said so already, but definitely do not hesitate to call around to different dealers seeking an allocation. I'm in WNC, and was second in line for an allocation at a SC BMW dealer with a deposit placed. I called around just for fun and managed to snag a 111 status order earlier this month with a week 10 production date from another dealer in TN.
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 04:33 PM   #4
Kentuckymike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m2 coupe

Welcome. I just joined the forum a few days ago and I just ordered my M2 with a dealers allocation a week ago. I just wanted to say congratulations on ordering your car and I have to say this is a great forum. Everyone is super helpful and share their enthusiasm for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:55 PM   #5
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Hi All,

Welcome! I think you're gonna find a lot of info here to peruse as you wait.

I'm still waiting as well, but I may be about a week from delivery +/- a couple of days.

What color and options did you go with besides the 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:19 AM   #6
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

surprised that you are 4-5 months out from just an allocation. my advice is to call around other dealers as many have open immediate allocations, and look for on the lot M2s (they exist) that meet your spec. there have even been folks getting a few K off MSRP if they are willing to take a dealer ordered, on the lot car.

anecdotally my dealer informed me that if you are OK with a 24, there are allocations available, but 25 already has a bit of a wait (due to incoming new colors).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:35 AM   #7
jstaylo2
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the warm welcome guys =). Okay, it sounds like I REALLY need to call around. I initially put my $1k down in Feb 2023, and still have 4-5 months to go; starting to get a bit impatient after a year of waiting. If anyone knows of a dealer in the states in and surrounding NC who has minimal wait times, and isn't charging over MSRP, give me a shout!

As for my spec:
-Brooklyn Grey Metallic
-Standard Tri-color Seats
-Carbon Interior Trim
-Carbon Roof
-Shadowline
-Black Wheels
-HUD
-Red Calipers
-Wireless Phone Charger

Planned Mods:
-Although I really want something like the Bronze CSL Wheels from IND, very open to suggestions if you all know of some good ones
-Eventually, some sort of tune mod, likely a piggyback; however, some of the things I've been reading about the clutch torque limitations in the 6MT gives me some pause.
-Lowering springs and wheel spacers. I don't know if it's as bad in person, but in photos the wheel gap makes the car look like it's set up for WRC, or a Sunday night monster truck jam.
-Front/Rear Reflector delete
-CSL Yellow DRLs
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:14 AM   #8
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:

As for my spec:

-Wireless Phone Charger
I definitely would not waste your time with the wireless charger. It just overheats the phone and if you're using the phone to do android auto or apple carplay, it will be lucky to keep your phone from draining. Also depending on the size of your phone/case, it may not even fit. My s23 ultra with a relatively trim case would not fit in the tray of my '22 m240
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2024, 08:16 AM   #9
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys =). Okay, it sounds like I REALLY need to call around. I initially put my $1k down in Feb 2023, and still have 4-5 months to go; starting to get a bit impatient after a year of waiting. If anyone knows of a dealer in the states in and surrounding NC who has minimal wait times, and isn't charging over MSRP, give me a shout!

As for my spec:
-Brooklyn Grey Metallic
-Carbon Interior Trim
-Carbon Roof
-Shadowline
-Black Wheels
-HUD
-Red Calipers
-Wireless Phone Charger

Planned Mods:
-Although I really want something like the Bronze CSL Wheels from IND, very open to suggestions if you all know of some good ones
-Eventually, some sort of tune mod, likely a piggyback; however, some of the things I've been reading about the clutch torque limitations in the 6MT gives me some pause.
-Lowering springs and wheel spacers. I don't know if it's as bad in person, but in photos the wheel gap makes the car look like it's set up for WRC, or a Sunday night monster truck jam.
-CSL Yellow DRLs

Welcome! Yeah, if you have been on a list since February 2023 and no allocation, something is wrong. You should just start calling dealers in your area or surrounding States (if not in your State, make sure they will sell to out of State buyer).

As for rims and spacers...if buying aftermarket forged rims (there are a number of manufacturers to choose from, depends what price point you want to be in), work with one who knows the G87 and has already done their research for proper offsets. This will allow you to get the flush look you want and eliminate the need for spacers.

For just a piggyback, stock clutch is fine. If doing a femto unlock and ecu tune, you may need to upgrade clutch depending on what stage tune you are going for and the power you are targeting.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:52 AM   #10
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:

As for my spec:
-Brooklyn Grey Metallic
-Carbon Interior Trim
-Carbon Roof
-Shadowline
-Black Wheels
-HUD
-Red Calipers
-Wireless Phone
Not sure you can get carbon roof without the carbon seats in the US. That may be your holdup.
      02-22-2024, 09:01 AM   #11
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Not sure you can get carbon roof without the carbon seats in the US. That may be your holdup.

You can definitely get the cf roof WITHOUT the cf buckets in the US.
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2024, 09:04 AM   #12
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
You can definitely get the cf roof WITHOUT the cf buckets in the US.
Ah; then i stand corrected.
      02-22-2024, 09:16 AM   #13
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:

As for my spec:
-Brooklyn Grey Metallic
-Carbon Interior Trim
-Carbon Roof
-Shadowline
-Black Wheels
-HUD
-Red Calipers
-Wireless Phone Charger

Planned Mods:
-CSL Yellow DRLs
I opted to spend the $2800 and add the M Performance height adjustable suspension to my build. I wanted it lowered from day one and with parts that will have the 4 year/50K mile warranty. Next up is most likely 15mm spacers in the front, 12mm in the rear.
ourlee917.00
      02-22-2024, 09:24 AM   #14
Chet for short
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TR G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
I definitely would not waste your time with the wireless charger. It just overheats the phone and if you're using the phone to do android auto or apple carplay, it will be lucky to keep your phone from draining. Also depending on the size of your phone/case, it may not even fit. My s23 ultra with a relatively trim case would not fit in the tray of my '22 m240
Agreed - I have the phone charger/heater on my 6mt G87. I would save the $200 and not include it in your spec.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 11:13 AM   #15
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet for short View Post
Agreed - I have the phone charger/heater on my 6mt G87. I would save the $200 and not include it in your spec.

It may be different with the type of phone and/or transmission. I have a MY23 G42 M240 and a MY23 G87 M2 8AT (and an Android) and it charges, albeit not super fast, and the only time it warms is once the phone is fully charged and you leave it on the charger pad in the charging position.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 11:44 AM   #16
Chet for short
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TR G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
It may be different with the type of phone and/or transmission. I have a MY23 G42 M240 and a MY23 G87 M2 8AT (and an Android) and it charges, albeit not super fast, and the only time it warms is once the phone is fully charged and you leave it on the charger pad in the charging position.
The charger is different for the MT cars - it's in the armrest. The AT cars have good chargers.
Appreciate 1
Kanrai104.00
      02-22-2024, 11:52 AM   #17
OldButSmooth
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:

As for my spec:
-Brooklyn Grey Metallic
-Carbon Interior Trim
-Carbon Roof
-Shadowline
-Black Wheels
-HUD
-Red Calipers
-Wireless Phone Charger

Planned Mods:
-CSL Yellow DRLs
I have owned a G87 for the past 4 months, my car is identical to your build. All in all, loving the colour and it's ability to appear reasonably clean when it's in need of a wash. The 6 MT will not disappoint and somehow manages to make every drive into an occasion.

The only downside to G87 ownership is the wait time and overwhelming frustration waiting for that phone call.

Cheers
John (OBS)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:35 PM   #18
Drowsy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 G87

Welcome my friend, Forum is lovely and hopefully we see you here more often
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:43 PM   #19
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Welcome. Nice build 👍
      02-22-2024, 02:01 PM   #20
jstaylo2
Registered
Rep

Guys, thank you so much for all the feedback and discussion. GOOD TO KNOW about the wireless charger, you all saving me $200 and disappointment (much appreciated). There's still an available USB port somewhere right? Is there room to stash the phone along with a same sized power bank?

JMcLellan mentioned you can spec M performance height adjustable suspension and have it covered under the warranty. Alternatively, I read elsewhere in the form that people were going with HAL, but modification here can potentially be leveraged against a warranty claim on the brake or rotor system. This is giving me something to think about as I weigh the pros vs. cons of the 2 options. The $2800, is that all in or not including labor?

Glad to know that I can tune at some point with a piggyback without getting into the clutch. Once I get closer to the end of warranty period I'll probably go this route.

OldButSmooth - Hey John, great to hear it doesn't show dirt as bad. My last car was black and showed every little spec. Did you go with a ceramic coat on yours? I was thinking of doing that and was interested if it had any impact on the color. Also, what's your guys opinion on spoiler options for the Brooklyn Grey? Spoiler/No spoiler, Little duckbill/full square shaped spoiler, Paint matched/CF? Generally my preferences lean towards understated modifications that either look OEM or correct existing issues with inherent design; but the blocky bumper kinda works with the blocky wing...I dunno, I'm torn here. IND's example looks pretty good.

You guys rock, wish I could cruise with you all.

Warm regards,
JT
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 03:09 PM   #21
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Guys, thank you so much for all the feedback and discussion. GOOD TO KNOW about the wireless charger, you all saving me $200 and disappointment (much appreciated). There's still an available USB port somewhere right? Is there room to stash the phone along with a same sized power bank?

JMcLellan mentioned you can spec M performance height adjustable suspension and have it covered under the warranty. Alternatively, I read elsewhere in the form that people were going with HAL, but modification here can potentially be leveraged against a warranty claim on the brake or rotor system. This is giving me something to think about as I weigh the pros vs. cons of the 2 options. The $2800, is that all in or not including labor?

Glad to know that I can tune at some point with a piggyback without getting into the clutch. Once I get closer to the end of warranty period I'll probably go this route.

OldButSmooth - Hey John, great to hear it doesn't show dirt as bad. My last car was black and showed every little spec. Did you go with a ceramic coat on yours? I was thinking of doing that and was interested if it had any impact on the color. Also, what's your guys opinion on spoiler options for the Brooklyn Grey? Spoiler/No spoiler, Little duckbill/full square shaped spoiler, Paint matched/CF? Generally my preferences lean towards understated modifications that either look OEM or correct existing issues with inherent design; but the blocky bumper kinda works with the blocky wing...I dunno, I'm torn here. IND's example looks pretty good.

You guys rock, wish I could cruise with you all.

Warm regards,
JT

The $2,820 for the M Performance Sport Suspension (aka HAS) port installed is all in price. I would get it added asap to your build sheet (it takes some CAs some time and effort to get it done). The code is Z58.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 04:03 PM   #22
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Welcome! I have a BG since Oct 23. The color is pretty neat since it looks different depending on the amount of light. I have noticed it can look anywhere from light grey, blueish, greish, playdough purpleish, and even white!
Appreciate 0