bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-25-2024, 04:07 PM   #1
anthonyc4242
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i X-Drive

Bluetooth/CarPlay Disconnect Question

Hey everyone,

I've had a recurring issue with CarPlay/Apple connectivity in my BMWs. It started with my F22 M240i—I loved the car, but the Apple connection was so unreliable I ended up dumping it. I hoped it wouldn't repeat with my 2024 M240i, especially after shelling out 60k, but it happened again. Frustrated, I got a new iPhone, and surprisingly, a full reset of my iDrive and iPhone (without restoring from backup) fixed it. Now, whenever there's a disconnect, I reset everything and take it slow to let the car's processor catch up.

So, I'm curious—have any of you coded your BMWs (BimmerCode, Carly, etc.) and then experienced similar issues? If you remember, did these problems start after coding?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
      06-26-2024, 05:35 PM   #2
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Android Auto here, but I can attest that there are forms of interference that can completely disconnect the wireless connection. The dealership on the west end of my city has overhead powerlines that run basically above the building. When you pull up for service, Android Auto completely disconnects, reconnects, disconnects...etc. It basically goes totally haywire. I would suspect the remaining disconnects you are seeing could simply be signal or interference issues and nothing you can truly resolve completely. Too many outside factors affecting the signal quality.

As for coding, I found I had disconnects before doing any coding, and after doing coding as well - no difference. I do experience random issues from time to time where ID8 says the Bluetooth version is no longer valid, or Android Auto shuts down. More often than anything, a random stutter of a second or two on occasion.

I would say if you are getting few disconnects, but not all the time, it's unfortunately normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2024, 11:04 PM   #3
MPR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i

I get connection issues on occassion. I created a shortcut on my iphone which disables then re-enables bluetooth, i named it fix carplay.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 07:09 PM   #4
anthonyc4242
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I get connection issues on occassion. I created a shortcut on my iphone which disables then re-enables bluetooth, i named it fix carplay.
How/where did you put the short cut? That's awesome btw. My car is in service right now they've had it for a day..
      07-16-2024, 08:01 PM   #5
MPR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc4242 View Post
How/where did you put the short cut? That's awesome btw. My car is in service right now they've had it for a day..
Its on a folder on my main screen with all of my household crap. You just create a shortcut that turns off wifi then turns it back on right away. Navigate through the shortcut creation process, you will figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2024, 05:12 PM   #6
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Don’t know if it helps with this specific issue but I had a message saying there had been an app update relating to Apple installed today
Appreciate 0