BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Thanks for your stellar input.

So sick and tired of seatbelt Nazis jumping in on this stuff.

MadDragon, did any of us on this board say we want to drive at 100mph in crowded city areas ignoring all laws and risking our lives and others? NO we did not.

We simply are looking for a way to disable the annoying seatbelt chime during short moves, such as getting out at the mail box, then driving in my garage, or getting a parking garage ticket then parking the car, or moving the car in the garage after I wash it. Or carrying my laptop bag on the passenger seat.

So seriously....if you can add value to the post....why are you here?????
Uh, over reaction.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #24
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

My apologies to Mad Dragon. I admit I did over react.

In the last week I have spent quite a bit of time searching the net for any ideas on how to disable this seatbelt gong. I do use a seatbelt regularly, but for reasons cited earlier I prefer not to have the car acting as my nanny. Regardless, in all my searching of posts on this topic, it seems like they get overrun with replies preaching to use seatbelts to even those who post pictures of fatalities from not wearing seatbelts.

All of which is uncalled for in those other threads when all the individual is seeking is a way to disable the gong. My apologies again, just seeking a solution to the question, not individual opinions on the merrit of belts.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #25
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
you realize that all you have to do if you have an american 1er is just pull the fuse for the seatbelt chime, go to your fuse box and open up that little white paper with all the functions of all the fuses and it'll tell you which one to pull
is this true? did you do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #26
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Regarding the question about if simply pulling the fuse will stop the seatbelt gong. In my painful research, over on e90post, it is identified that this fuse is for the seatbelt assist mechanism, the arm that electronically extends to bring the seatbelt within arms reach on the 3 series e92 coupe. The user on e90post indicated that by pulling this fuse, this electronic seatbelt butler was then disabled, but the gong still existed.

While I have not yet tried yanking this fuse on my 135, I feel fairly confident it won't stop the gong. BMW is likely sharing fuse boxes from the e90 parts bin for our 1ers.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #27
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
I just wear my seatbelt. No gong, ever.
The gong comes on for every damn little thing such as low fuel (I can read a gas gauge thanks), but the most annoying thing is when you put anything on your passenger seat. I hate it, I want to kill it dead.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #28
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

It cant be too hard. Just modify the buckle if it really bothers you.
      03-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #29
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
The gong comes on for every damn little thing such as low fuel (I can read a gas gauge thanks), but the most annoying thing is when you put anything on your passenger seat. I hate it, I want to kill it dead.
I heard about this putting things on the passanger side issue before, but I don't have this issue. I place objects of various weights on the seat and all I get is the passenger airbag disable light on the roof.

I definitely lucked out. I have a buddy that works for bmw and once in a while they have to make a seat belt repair or replacement, so he kept an eye open for the repair and snagged a clip for me. I place just the clip in the lock and gong is gone. He still looking for a second one for me, but luckily my girlfriend likes to wear her seat belt. Might be possible to pick one up at your local junkyard? I'm not sure if earlier models have the same clip size and I doubt you'll find a 1er in there as of yet.

So the moral of the story is - Get to know you bmw repair guy, offer him a drink and maybe he'll look for a clip for you.
      03-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #30
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i believe the correct electrical resistor installed in the seatbelt receiver wiring harness under the seat could trick the car into thinking that the belt is always plugged in (even when occupancy sensor does not register an occupant). i did this in my Audi S4 when installing racing seats and a rollbar, but have not tried in a BMW, nor do i have the electrical expertise to know which ports to apply it to, or which resistor to use...

if this is possible, it would have no effect on the occupancy sensor, so there would be no danger of airbags not going off in a collision. this would also not solve the problem of the gong happening when i put my backpack in the passanger seat, but i've just started putting it behind the driver's seat now.

edit:
i just searched audiworld for my original posts regarding the resistor i used in my S4... any of you who know what's been going on with audiworld can guess how well my search went.

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 03-31-2009 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0