BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

12-29-2023, 06:14 PM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Dashcam Battery Hardwire

Hello everyone,

I just received my BlackBoxMyCar Powercell 8 dashcam battery in the mail today and am looking for some assistance in hardwiring this thing. I purchased it because I didn't want to deal with the annoying battery drain popups that many people seem to have when hardwiring their dashcams directly to the car (had this issue on my F87 M2C).

However, I contacted BBMC and they said that the battery pack draws 9a and they recommend tapping into a fuse that has 10a or more. I am also assuming you can't just go to any random accessory fuse and tap into it and put a higher amperage fuse on top and call it a day, that seems very dangerous (I don't know anything about electrical systems btw). I saw the guide here (https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ashcam+Battery) and was planning on following it until I realized the ACC fuse the original poster taps into is 5 amps, which is not enough for my battery pack.

Does anyone know a fuse that is 10a or greater and will shut off a couple of minutes after the car is locked? Or has anyone installed a battery pack in their cars and is willing to share the steps on how they did it? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:01 PM   #2
mynameisnick4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Someone can correct me or confirm if this right, if you are using a fuse tap you should be fine to use the 5A fuse from those instructions. When you add a fuse tap, it has two fuse slots; one where you add the fuse you removed to plug in the tap and a second for the new circuit. You should be able to add a 10A fuse for your new circuit/dash cam battery. As long as the tap is installed correctly, the existing circuit will be protected by the 5A fuse and the new one by the 10A fuse.

I personally did mine using a device that allows me to switch on and off always on/parked mode if I need it. On the one off occasions my car is left in something like a parking garage for an extended period of time or anything like that, I can flip a switch so that the dash cam keeps power. Otherwise it powers on when I get in the car, turns off after 10-15 minutes of shutting off the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 05:05 PM   #3
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnick4 View Post
Someone can correct me or confirm if this right, if you are using a fuse tap you should be fine to use the 5A fuse from those instructions. When you add a fuse tap, it has two fuse slots; one where you add the fuse you removed to plug in the tap and a second for the new circuit. You should be able to add a 10A fuse for your new circuit/dash cam battery. As long as the tap is installed correctly, the existing circuit will be protected by the 5A fuse and the new one by the 10A fuse.

I personally did mine using a device that allows me to switch on and off always on/parked mode if I need it. On the one off occasions my car is left in something like a parking garage for an extended period of time or anything like that, I can flip a switch so that the dash cam keeps power. Otherwise it powers on when I get in the car, turns off after 10-15 minutes of shutting off the car.
I ended up using this guide, it was pretty simple and honestly the hardest part was hiding the wiring, pretty much gave up on having it 100% hidden away and you can kind of see some wires in the trunk and the cabin but it's better than potentially breaking clips and fucking up my car lol.

Used this guide : https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1711738

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0