E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Burger Motorsports BMS PowerBox

07-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Burger Motorsports BMS PowerBox

Hi guys,

Did a search and only a few basic threads regarding this - as per the title, I am talking about BMS PowerBox...

Anyway, I am about to have this installed into my 330i 6MT (N52B30), I gather the general impressions is that it does help with throttle response and feel which is my main reason for this. Power gain will probably be minimal, but wondering if it will sort out the mid range slump in power (3000 - 4500 rpm or so)...

Other thoughts with regards to this? I like the fact that it is plug and play and can be easily operated or for that matter disabled.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
F31cruisin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Jus put mine in a few days ago, and the car is total different in the range that you are describing. It pulls so much harder down low. There are a few for sale for $200 shipped on the forums, best $200 you can spend.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90cruisin View Post
Jus put mine in a few days ago, and the car is total different in the range that you are describing. It pulls so much harder down low. There are a few for sale for $200 shipped on the forums, best $200 you can spend.
Many thanks! That is good to hear!! Lucky enough I have one being made available to me to test and give feedback locally, so really excited!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Doesn't change anything with your power. Might make you run rich a little bit.

All it does is magnify the signal from the drive by wire throttle connection. So you just don't have to push the pedal as far to accelerate hard. Also can achieve kick-down voltage, without actually hitting the kickdown button (if you're auto)

If you want actual power increase / remap - Eurocharged Tune or Active Autowerke Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Doesn't change anything with your power. Might make you run rich a little bit.

All it does is magnify the signal from the drive by wire throttle connection. So you just don't have to push the pedal as far to accelerate hard. Also can achieve kick-down voltage, without actually hitting the kickdown button (if you're auto)

If you want actual power increase / remap - Eurocharged Tune or Active Autowerke Tune
Manual, I gather this is what it does, hence my question as to how effective it is in practice, especially with manual cars since this affects gear change smoothness and precision more. As for power gains, not too concerned about that, otherwise would go the AA route as you mentioned above... Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

It will make every day driving much more enjoyable. You may feel some extra power in the beginning, but that feeling goes away after some time. But the much improved throttle response will stay and you can drive the car alot smoother, especially when starting from a full stop. I've had miine on for almost a year now, would highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
It will make every day driving much more enjoyable. You may feel some extra power in the beginning, but that feeling goes away after some time. But the much improved throttle response will stay and you can drive the car alot smoother, especially when starting from a full stop. I've had miine on for almost a year now, would highly recommend.
Thanks!! Yep, that has always bothered me, especially in crawling traffic and you want to then accelerate a bit quicker, tends to bog down and then accelerate. As such, my driving style is to avoid coming to a complete stop and try to keep the wheels turning so that I can simply continue from 2nd or 3rd gear for that matter. What else have you done to yours? CDV Delete? Clutch pedal stop adjuster?

Haven't done any of the above yet, CDV delete because with the lazy throttle may only make matters worse, clutch pedal stop adjuster because I have heard that this can cause mechanical issues with the clutch in the long run - not sure though...

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

330 - mine is an auto! No clutch mods! My other performance mods have been euro air box which you may have already being in SA, and the cyba air scoops. Cosmetically I have done the BMW performance black grill, Blackline tail lights, debadged the trunk and 3M crystalline tint. Since my car had the shadowline trim I was looking to get rid of the last bits of chrome. Have also ditched the rft tires, that was a nice ride improvement.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
330 - mine is an auto! No clutch mods! My other performance mods have been euro air box which you may have already being in SA, and the cyba air scoops. Cosmetically I have done the BMW performance black grill, Blackline tail lights, debadged the trunk and 3M crystalline tint. Since my car had the shadowline trim I was looking to get rid of the last bits of chrome. Have also ditched the rft tires, that was a nice ride improvement.
Cool!! Mine is still absolutely stock standard apart for the 335i Coupé style 188 wheels.

But, in the pipeline, really want to also get the blackline tail lights, especially since my car is sparkling graphite, and then also get CF roundels - maybe eventually CF splitters, mirror covers, and thin boot spoiler. BMW performance black grill, are you talking about the kidney grills? Nowadays people simply PlastiDip them matt black...

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Yea the genuine oem BMW black grills! I didn't want them chipping and showing chrome underneath.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea the genuine oem BMW black grills! I didn't want them chipping and showing chrome underneath.
Ah, makes sense!!

Appreciate 0