E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Throttle reset proceedure on E90?

04-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #45
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

update: i need to do the reset everytime.once i turn off the engine then restart.no more of sensitive throttle anymore.
really want to set it in computer then dont have to do everytime.
      04-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #46
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: No more Beemer

This doesn't work.

The only way to do a Throttle Body Alignment is with a Scan tool or Battery pull.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #47
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90ben View Post
This doesn't work.

The only way to do a Throttle Body Alignment is with a Scan tool or Battery pull.
battery pull can work?somebody tried and just like that 25second reset,then maybe the same after restart.
hum...maybe i can try.
      04-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #48
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
try this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t+transmission

i think some people misunderstanding the step 4-6. but i did it once, and it worked for me. now i just use my BT to reset, easier and faster
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 02:54 AM   #49
Classycali
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 325i/e92 335i

It works for me, I do it once every week or so, it learns your driving curve within a feel days but i noticed a difference in throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #50
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
try this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t+transmission

i think some people misunderstanding the step 4-6. but i did it once, and it worked for me. now i just use my BT to reset, easier and faster
is it the computer was set?so u dont have to reset everytime or...everyweek?
      04-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #51
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: No more Beemer

This has no documentation that it works for our cars.

E90Fleet says nothing is documented.

To me it sounds like you guys are activating the Cold Start Procedure, and the "Extra Fuel" is making you "feel" like its working.

BT and Battery pull appear to be the only way to reset it.

I would think the only way to verify, would be to hook up the BT (Scan tool) and log your throttle angle at 1/4, 1/2, and WOT.

Then

Reset it with your Key'd method

then

log any differences between the two.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #52
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

I have a 6MT and am thinking this might all be the placebo effect. I think the procedure is different than the cold start procedure (at least what I did was) in that after holding down the accelerator I turned off the ignition and then started the car as normal. (My owner's manual says that the cold start procedure is to push down the accelerator halfway whilst starting the car.) But, for all I know just holding the accelerator down whilst the ignition is on may start up the fuel pump.

I drove the car last night after doing this and then drove it again this morning without re-doing the reset procedure. The car felt like it had less throttle lag to me, but it may be a combination of it being in my head and that because I wanted the car to drive better I might have been hitting the accelerator harder than I normally would.

In any event, I still enjoy driving the car, and am contemplating removing the CDV this weekend, so that should make the drive even better.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #53
ah gon
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcat151 View Post
I have a 6MT and am thinking this might all be the placebo effect. I think the procedure is different than the cold start procedure (at least what I did was) in that after holding down the accelerator I turned off the ignition and then started the car as normal. (My owner's manual says that the cold start procedure is to push down the accelerator halfway whilst starting the car.) But, for all I know just holding the accelerator down whilst the ignition is on may start up the fuel pump.

I drove the car last night after doing this and then drove it again this morning without re-doing the reset procedure. The car felt like it had less throttle lag to me, but it may be a combination of it being in my head and that because I wanted the car to drive better I might have been hitting the accelerator harder than I normally would.

In any event, I still enjoy driving the car, and am contemplating removing the CDV this weekend, so that should make the drive even better.
yeah...modded CDV can make u feel much better on shift.must did on 6MT.
      05-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #54
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Yeah, I've read good things about the CDV delete. Honestly, I'd also turn off the automatic hill-holder if there was a way. I know it can be useful on occasion, but it's disconcerting to me to have the car not move at all when I have the clutch in.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #55
SIRKGM14vg
MooseQuest
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92, 2022 G80, 2024, G07

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
nope, if it does, your car have problem
Depends if your MT or AT. In MT we have to step on the clutch to start the engine. If you are AT, the car requires it to be in P (Park) and you to depress the brakes.

Thanks,

Moose
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #56
SIRKGM14vg
MooseQuest
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92, 2022 G80, 2024, G07

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcat151 View Post
Yeah, I've read good things about the CDV delete. Honestly, I'd also turn off the automatic hill-holder if there was a way. I know it can be useful on occasion, but it's disconcerting to me to have the car not move at all when I have the clutch in.
Its how you manipulate your feet when driving. I've manage to have it to operate on demand. The process is as follows:

Hill-Hold Feature:

When the brake of the vehicle is applied, engaging the clutch will activate the Hill-Hold system which engages the brakes for 4 seconds. Release the brakes for feature response. Upon depressing the throttle, the Hill-Hold disengages.

Work-Around:

When stopped with brakes applied. Disengage the brakes and then immeadiately apply the clutch, then throttle for start. This should be a smooth motion and not rapid succession between each step.

Thanks,

Moose
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #57
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Talk about reviving an old thread! I have tried this once before in the past and seemed to feel and difference but put it down to the placebo effect and never bothered with it since, just got used the nature of the throttle and was fine with it. But then a few months ago my car went in for its last motorplan covered visit and they ran a full software update as well as resetting all adaptations - since then the throttle has been very troublesome and actually lumpy in nature, making day to day driving with a manual gearbox a bit annoying at times. Now I am going to be testing the Burger Motorsports BMS PowerBox to see what sort of difference it makes in general - not really too bothered with power gains, mostly to get a more predictable better feeling throttle.

Anyway, with that in mind I thought about this again and decided to give it a shot. Now there are various differences to this procedure so settled on the following:

Key Fob in and ignition on. Foot flat on the throttle pedal for 30 sec, then push the Start button. Leave everything as is for 2 minutes. Then ignition off and for that matter took the Key Fob out since I had a few other things to attend to before taking for a drive.

I have to say, I do feel a bit of an improvement to the throttle response, and even things like taking my foot off the throttle seems to be smoother. Car really does feel different and took it for a drive along familiar and not so familiar routes to throw any muscle memory off if need be, and it really does seem to have improved matters. But even just the general running of the engine does seem to be better, smoother overall power band compared to before - basically if anything, closer to the way it was before the agents fiddled...

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #58
33beto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: R.I.P. 08 E90 328i/GM 6L45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
If it is "adaptive", then it would adjust to the way you drive. Why do you have to figure out a way to "reset" it??? It's a waste of time.
"ADAPTIVE" as a way for BMW to babysit agressive driving behaviour to prolong wear and tear till you run out of warranty.

Just saying...

Lou.

R.I.P 10/14/12
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #59
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33beto View Post
"ADAPTIVE" as a way for BMW to babysit agressive driving behaviour to prolong wear and tear till you run out of warranty.

Just saying...

Lou.
Well, in the case of my car, the throttle feel was not very predictable and there were other strange engine characteristics. But before the agents fiddled the throttle without any resetting was fine for me for over a year, so maybe after resetting it just needs some good training!!

Appreciate 0