home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

06-18-2024, 03:58 PM   #1
Sleeper
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M, 2024 M2, 2006 M3

Homelink rear view mirror retrofit DIY

For annoying reasons, my car didn't come with the Homelink-equipped interior rear view mirror. It's another one of those incredibly basic vehicle options that should just be part of the standard equipment these days and not require a separate box to be ticked for an immaterial $300. So dumb.

Regardless, mine didn't come with the proper mirror, and I was told that it wasn't possible to retrofit the Homelink mirror due to incompatibility.

As always, never believe what you're told and instead investigate it yourself to get the right answer.

Working flawlessly:

Long story short, many, many F- and G-series BMW's are equipped with the similar style Homelink rearview mirror with the factory options differentiating which one you should get. It is plug-n-play, and no wiring changes are required. Out of the box, even without coding changes, you will have a fully functional Homelink rear view mirror if all you do is swap rear view mirror.

Credit where credit due:

1. Thanks to a DIY thread HERE by BMW DIY Guy, and further research, it quickly became obvious that this is a super easy retrofit.

2. Thanks to this post HERE, changes to the BDC coding were provided.

3. And finally, because none of the PF_INMI_LIN_VAR options resolved all incorrect mirror fault codes, this post HERE provided some direction.

For people in the same situation I was in -
1. Many F- and G-series mirrors are plug-n-play with the factory G87 M2 rear view mirror harness. No wiring required.
2. BDC coding is required to re-code the new mirror to your vehicle as your original coding will not be expecting a "UGDO" (universal garage door opener) mirror installed.
3. Don't pay the dealership full pop for a new mirror - it'll run you double or more what a new or like new mirror will cost you on eBay.

I found a new/open box G-series rear view mirror on eBay. Removal was as simple as unclipping the plastic shroud behind the mirror, rotating the mirror 75* to the left, and tugging down. Unclip the harness, reverse steps with the new mirror, profit.

This is my original mirror:

Here is the purchased mirror ($300USD on eBay):

Install steps (yes, pretty much only 2):

Coding, BDC, Expert Mode, 3120 Pfinternal -

1. Errors after first scan:

In my case, changing to any of the variants in ..._LIN_VAR doesn't clear the "Incorrect Variant Installed" error. Will play around with it more unless someone has further insight for me. If anyone has reason to be cruising expert mode in the BDC module, if they don't mind popping into 3120 to check to see what their mirror variant is set as, that'd be .

Otherwise, to tell the car is now has Homelink, set the UGDO to "Aktiv" and PF_UGDO_LIN_VAR to "Aktiv" and that should do it. If I can figure out a solution to the variant, I'll post up here but it's more an OCD thing of not having error codes versus a functionality issue.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2024, 08:40 AM   #2
Sleeper
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
We need more people like you.

Thanks. Wish I could help with the coding, but my car also doesn’t have home link.

Hopefully someone can share their default coding.
Thanks, man! Yes, hopefully someone can share their factory coding. It may not jive anyway as my new eBay mirror is probably still a different part number from the Homelink mirror that comes in the G87, but still worth a shot!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2024, 01:05 PM   #3
fangelov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Thanks, man! Yes, hopefully someone can share their factory coding. It may not jive anyway as my new eBay mirror is probably still a different part number from the Homelink mirror that comes in the G87, but still worth a shot!
If you tell me exactly what info you want from BimmerCode, I can play with my car on the weekend and see if I can get it for you.
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2024, 05:21 PM   #4
Sleeper
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You might need VO coding, no? Because then the car will expect that part.
Hmm, I don't know if the interior mirror requires a VO change. The option for my vehicle for the mirror is "431" which is simply "Auto Dimming Interior Mirror" while the option for the "Universal Garage Door Opener" option is 319. Maybe that's my issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangelov View Post
If you tell me exactly what info you want from BimmerCode, I can play with my car on the weekend and see if I can get it for you.
Thanks, that'd be super helpful.

From Bimmercode menu -
1. Body Domain Controller
2. Expert Mode
3. Scroll down to "3120 PfInternalMirror"
4. Click PF_INMI_LIN_VAR (top option)
5. Let me know which option is selected.

I'll match up what you have for #5 and see if that sorts my issue. If not, it's very likely that M2siast is on to something with the VO. We shall see!

Thanks again
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2024, 10:15 PM   #5
Sleeper
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is there a way to code VO with BimmerCode, or only Bimmer Utility can do it?
It'd be nice to match the VO values as well if possible, even if you're not changing anything at this point, just to be sure.
Just BimmerUtility or ProTool - BimmerCode can’t dig in to that level yet (or probably ever). But totally agree, even for something as minor as a mirror, I’d prefer to have everything coded as if it was factory.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2024, 06:02 PM   #6
fangelov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Thanks, that'd be super helpful.

From Bimmercode menu -
1. Body Domain Controller
2. Expert Mode
3. Scroll down to "3120 PfInternalMirror"
4. Click PF_INMI_LIN_VAR (top option)
5. Let me know which option is selected.

I'll match up what you have for #5 and see if that sorts my issue. If not, it's very likely that M2siast is on to something with the VO. We shall see!

Thanks again
Sorry for the late response. Got injured in an accident and finally got back to the car. On my car the very first option is the selected one. Attaching a screenshot of it. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-19-2024, 08:06 PM   #7
Sleeper
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangelov View Post
Sorry for the late response. Got injured in an accident and finally got back to the car. On my car the very first option is the selected one. Attaching a screenshot of it. Hope it helps.
Many thanks, man. Very much appreciate it, injuries and all! Hope you’re getting through your recovery relatively unscathed.

That coding worked - no more error codes for incorrect mirror variant. So no VO coding required, just selecting the option as you’ve indicated.

Thanks again, wish I could give you more than one “Appreciate”!
Appreciate 1