BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2024, 02:12 PM   #1
9ck
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Charge Plus M Sport

Service Plan or Not?

Hi forum
Just bought a “new” iX3 from 12/2022 with no milage from a reputable dealer in DK (not a authorised dealership though). My first EV and SUV.

I’m being offered a 36 month / 60.000 km (37000 miles) service plan for 53 € a month / 1900 € for all 36 months. The service plan includes replacement of all wearing parts (brakes, bearings etc.) except tyres. The amount I would have to pay for this plan is approximately the same I would have to pay to change the brakes (I guess).

Is it worth it / would you go for a service plan like this? What have you had to have serviced for the first 36 months?

Thanks!

Last edited by 9ck; 05-06-2024 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 03:50 AM   #2
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Hello,

I have no knowledge of servicing requirements in DK, I can only tell you my experience from the UK.

The first service from an authorised BMW dealership appears to be when the car is two years old, the only replacement of items seems to be brake fluid and micro filter, the rest being an inspection check of the car and its systems in accordance with BMW guidelines.

I paid £450 (I think?) back in November 2022, looking at the BMW website now the same plan is from £543, I doubt this price includes wear and tear items such as brake pads and bearings though.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 1
9ck1.50
      05-07-2024, 04:36 AM   #3
9ck
Registered
Denmark
Rep

ThreeXi Thanks. Yes my gut feeling is that this wouldn’t be beneficial for me. I guess you have the same issues with brakes having to be replaced due to corrosion, if they aren’t used… which was his main selling point.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 01:34 AM   #4
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello,

I’ve got no reported problems with brakes and corrosion at the moment, however I am a high mileage user which is probably what’s helping the situation.

If I was given an option of this type of product, personally I don’t drive using heavy braking, so all I’d be doing is hedging the costs against future price increases for the work, if the work is needed at all, in the timeframe of car ownership.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 1
9ck1.50
      05-08-2024, 03:07 AM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

My previous car (Audi S3) suffered really badly from brake disc rusting - they were starting to rust after 24-48 hours. And my previous S3 had a pad bond to the brake disc with rust - fortunately it was only the pads that needed replacing. This may have been partly due to my house location (waterfront property near the sea) but it seemed to be much worse with an S3 than any previous cars. Obviously that was cleaned off after the first couple of times braking - I made sure I did that with nobody around me.

From what I have read, the regenerative braking system is an intelligent system that mixes energy recuperation and actual physical braking. Gentle braking will just use the regenerative part via the motor - many systems use a large capacitor to capture this energy quickly (more quickly than the battery can charge) to get the same performance when the battery is full. I seem to remember that this is any braking events up to 0.8G (although I may not have remembered that figure correctly). Anything above that figure will use a combination of regenerative and physical braking.

I now do the same with the iX3 as I did with the S3. Every few days, as I drive away from my house (the first part is a private road), I apply the brakes sharply and quite hard. This ensures that the real brakes come into action and should keep everything corrosion free for when you need them in an emergency, and also for long term maintenance.
Appreciate 2
9ck1.50
ThreeXi72.00
      05-08-2024, 07:06 AM   #6
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Not sure if this will help, but I've had my IX3 since September 23. It hasn't done many miles at all, less than 3,000 in fact, and the majority of those have been urban short distances. So plenty of regen braking and not much opportunity for harsher braking events. In theory this is the worst case scenario for brakes on ev's so might be relevant for you.

This is a picture of the rear disc so not much corrosion at all
Name:  IMG_2655.jpeg
Views: 146
Size:  306.2 KB

For comparison here's the front
Name:  IMG_2656.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  331.0 KB

Sorry for the state of the wheels, I've not had chance to wash it in a few weeks.

Although saying all that, I did get the BMW service plan when I bought my car, but it was less than £500 for a 5 year plan. I can't remember the exact cost but it was worth it at the time. 1900 euros sounds like a lot of money, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Appreciate 1
9ck1.50
      05-08-2024, 11:04 AM   #7
9ck
Registered
Denmark
Rep

Supa Koopa Thanks. £ 500 for a 5 year plan sounds very reasonable. The plan I’m presented with only runs for the first 3 years. How much can go wrong. I’m pretty convinced I’ll pass.

I got these 20” babies today :-). Plan was to use them for winter tyres but I almost feel sorry doing so (last time I bought a car was more than 10 years ago).
Name:  9BFA5D1D-E0F0-4FC1-8548-DC1008BFBD45.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  306.0 KB

Last edited by 9ck; 05-08-2024 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 10:38 AM   #8
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Sounds like you have been offered what BMW refer to as "Service and Repair Inclusive". I wouldn´t buy that. I have, however, bought the "Service Inclusive" pack at my local dealer. For now, I´ve only bought the "small package" which covers 4 years with unlimited km´s. If you time it right, you´ll get two services and a brake fluid exhange and it will be cheaper to buy the "service pack" rather than paying for these items seperately. The service pack can be extended, if done before it runs out.

Your choice - but if you´re getting the car serviced at an authorized dealer, the "Service Inclusive" IS cheaper than just paying as you go.

The "Service and Repair Inclusive" is too expensive, unless you consider it an insurance and stuff like that makes you sleep better at night

I make sure to clean the brakes frequently (put the car in "N", this will use the brakes solely rather then regenerating), i.e. when turning off the motorway with no cars behind. I also clean and lubricate the calipers once a year. I´m at 35.000km´s so far, the car being from 10/22, and the brakes are still looking good as new.
      05-16-2024, 02:53 AM   #9
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
I make sure to clean the brakes frequently (put the car in "N", this will use the brakes solely rather then regenerating), i.e. when turning off the motorway with no cars behind. I also clean and lubricate the calipers once a year. I´m at 35.000km´s so far, the car being from 10/22, and the brakes are still looking good as new.
Are you sure about this. I agree that the car doesn't apply regenerative braking when the car is freewheeling in Neutral.

However, I have read that the iX3 has a complex hybrid braking system. The first 0.8G of braking is achieved regeneratively, and braking harder than that is mechanical. I suspect this will remain the same whichever "gear" is selected.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 03:47 AM   #10
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Are you sure about this. I agree that the car doesn't apply regenerative braking when the car is freewheeling in Neutral.

However, I have read that the iX3 has a complex hybrid braking system. The first 0.8G of braking is achieved regeneratively, and braking harder than that is mechanical. I suspect this will remain the same whichever "gear" is selected.
I´m sure to that extend, that MY car does it. Our Mini Cooper SE does the same - in "N" it uses the ordinary brakes.