BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-30-2024, 04:25 PM   #1
CH01
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Bilstein EVO SE or KW DDC

So far I have the Carbahn tune, AA downpipe with cat, and Apex forged wheels. My next upgrade will be the suspension and the only two coilover kits I've found for this car the retains EDC are the Bilstein EVO SE and KW DDC. I know there have been some recent posts about the Bilstein option but I'm curious to hear how they compare or if there are other recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 05:04 PM   #2
kudos
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Looking at the KW site I don't see DDC showing up as compatible with G42.
      06-30-2024, 05:22 PM   #3
CH01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
Looking at the KW site I don't see DDC showing up as compatible with G42.
I think it’s the same for Bilstein where it’s not directly noted to work with the G42 but does work. I found it here listed to be compatible: https://infiniteautowerks.com/shop/suspension-chassis/kw-ddc-plug-play-coilover-kit-bmw-g20-m340i-g42-m240i/
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 05:25 PM   #4
kudos
Captain
Rep

Is there any chance these two drop in price? They seem high.
      06-30-2024, 07:11 PM   #5
CH01
Rep

Quote:
There are other kits that are less expensive but my goal is to retain the EDC function for times when I don’t want the ride as aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 08:07 PM   #6
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Nope. If anything they will just increase over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2024, 11:27 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Nope. If anything they will just increase over time.
+1

Over the last few years, all parts have slowly but surely increased in price.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2024, 02:18 PM   #8
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Does losing the EDC functionality cause any issues ?

Will the car constantly have an error code ? What happens to the wiring ?

Is there some type of EDC Delete kit that is required ? Can the missing EDC be coded out ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 03:23 PM   #9
SpecTaqlar
Romania
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
Does losing the EDC functionality cause any issues ?

Will the car constantly have an error code ? What happens to the wiring ?

Is there some type of EDC Delete kit that is required ? Can the missing EDC be coded out ?
There are EDC delete kits for this model - but i'm not sure any are plug and play . I can vouch for example for the Ohlins one , i went the Ohlins R&T and Millway Street camber plates route - and the wiring for stock EDC is a complete pain . Stock EDC dampers have - to make it more complicated - two electronic connections :

The actual damper control - stock conector is soldered so you need to cut and splice it.

YAW sensor - attached on a soldered bracket on the stock damper , a gyroscope that should be at 0 degress horizontally and vertically . Therefore - as i added camber plates - i needed to develop a bracket that can be adjusted vertically so that whatever camber i am running , the bracket can be adjusted so that the sensor is at 0 degress - perfectly perpendicular to the ground.

I'm still in the process of completely deleting the chassis errors - the bracket has been developed already - inhouse , by me - so when everything is finished i'll post a clip explaining what needs to be done.

If it's worth anything - the chassis is now absolute bliss compared to stock.
Appreciate 1
VegasG42591.00
      07-24-2024, 07:59 PM   #10
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTaqlar View Post
There are EDC delete kits for this model - but i'm not sure any are plug and play . I can vouch for example for the Ohlins one , i went the Ohlins R&T and Millway Street camber plates route - and the wiring for stock EDC is a complete pain . Stock EDC dampers have - to make it more complicated - two electronic connections :

The actual damper control - stock conector is soldered so you need to cut and splice it.

YAW sensor - attached on a soldered bracket on the stock damper , a gyroscope that should be at 0 degress horizontally and vertically . Therefore - as i added camber plates - i needed to develop a bracket that can be adjusted vertically so that whatever camber i am running , the bracket can be adjusted so that the sensor is at 0 degress - perfectly perpendicular to the ground.

I'm still in the process of completely deleting the chassis errors - the bracket has been developed already - inhouse , by me - so when everything is finished i'll post a clip explaining what needs to be done.

If it's worth anything - the chassis is now absolute bliss compared to stock.
Thank you for the great reply. Now I see why people are paying $3k to 4k for EDC coilovers.

It seems there is quite a bit involved in deleting the EDC and doing it the right way.

And glad to hear your ride is now excellent compared to stock. That was one of the first things I noticed about the car the first time I pushed it hard into turns and corners - how squishy the ride felt.

The Eibachs firmed things up a bit. But even then, going hard into turns and corners is mediocre at best
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2024, 05:58 PM   #11
kudos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the great reply. Now I see why people are paying $3k to 4k for EDC coilovers.

It seems there is quite a bit involved in deleting the EDC and doing it the right way.

And glad to hear your ride is now excellent compared to stock. That was one of the first things I noticed about the car the first time I pushed it hard into turns and corners - how squishy the ride felt.

The Eibachs firmed things up a bit. But even then, going hard into turns and corners is mediocre at best
Time to widebody?
      07-25-2024, 06:06 PM   #12
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Time to widebody?
Not this guy, lol. But it'll be cool to see if somebody does eventually
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2024, 02:46 AM   #13
SpecTaqlar
Romania
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:

Welcome ! Yes - the , well , funny part , let's say , is that the Ohlins R&T kit is almost the same as Bilstein EVO or KW DDC price wise - but i saw a lot of reports about the Ohlins being able to maintain the stock comfort and close to stock ride height , and where i live some potholes really need the stock ride height . But EDC delete is somewhat of a pain , maybe the KW EDC delete is better , and anyway the YAW sensor was the cherry on top of that pain .

The dynamics though - and i'm running a very conservative -1.6 camber up front - are incomparable to stock. I'd say they are now up to real M car standard , with just the stock 245 tyres up front .

You could probably load damper control software of a car running passive dampers , because for some reason which is not 100% clear for me , cars with passive dampers don't even have the YAW sensor.
Maybe - based on turning angle - the YAW sensor controls the stiffness across each damper , independently of your chassis settings - sport , comfort , sport + - and slighly increases stiffness on the loaded corner and decreases it on the unloaded corner so that you have maximum traction in your selected chassis settings. I didn't go very deep in the topic , but the sensor does seem to be related to the DSC system.

Last edited by SpecTaqlar; 07-26-2024 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
VegasG42591.00
      07-30-2024, 11:47 AM   #14
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Of course, just as I finally pulled the plug and ordered the Bilstein EVO SEs over the weekend, they are out of stock everywhere. No inventory. Estimating mid-August, but that’s just a guess at this point.

Does anyone know of any other coil over suspension kits that retain EDC? There’s not a lot of info on the KW DDCs for me to want to pull the plug just yet.

I don’t want race car suspension, just a bit better stability with as much comfort as possible, most IMPORTANTLY getting rid of that rear suspension THUMP. The Billy’s seemed to fit that bill and there doesn’t seem to be any other really good alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2024, 05:46 PM   #15
kudos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Of course, just as I finally pulled the plug and ordered the Bilstein EVO SEs over the weekend, they are out of stock everywhere. No inventory. Estimating mid-August, but that’s just a guess at this point.

Does anyone know of any other coil over suspension kits that retain EDC? There’s not a lot of info on the KW DDCs for me to want to pull the plug just yet.

I don’t want race car suspension, just a bit better stability with as much comfort as possible, most IMPORTANTLY getting rid of that rear suspension THUMP. The Billy’s seemed to fit that bill and there doesn’t seem to be any other really good alternatives.
It really does blow my mind there is such a terrible inventory problem with aftermarket parts still. Companies need to get it together we aren't in Covid times anymore.
      08-10-2024, 09:34 AM   #16
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Just got a reply from Bilstein support. The EVO SEs will now be back in stock in October. Damn.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2024, 11:02 AM   #17
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Just got a reply from Bilstein support. The EVO SEs will now be back in stock in October. Damn.
What a joke
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 07:56 AM   #18
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 M240

Quote:
This would explain why it nearly took an act of Congress and three weeks to get TireRack to agree to cannibalize an unopened set to send me two missing parts from my shipment. Well worth the wait though!
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201873.00