08-18-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
TheDrivenGarage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82, BMW M2 G87 (Order)

Any one else build an $80k MSRP M2?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I have my M2 allocation (Apline White, Bi Color Wheels, 6 MT), and decided on some port installed options: front lip, rear spoiler, rear diffuser, side skirts, and HAS. And now I am looking at an 80k M2. I will probably then add carbon mirror caps after market as I couldn't justify the $2k for those (there are limits!) The rest of the MP options are close enough cost wise to the 3rd party options to be worth it to me.

For me, the car isn't my daily driver, and it's just for enjoyment. So I don't mind it being a bit visually loud. I wish you could get the graphics port installed. I like how funky this car looks. I should also mention I already have a G83 M4, that I am keeping.

Anyone else in the same position? Do you feel like it's a waste to add so much to the car, especially when it's mostly cosmetic?
Appreciate 4
M2siast5876.00
ronin130131000.50
      08-18-2023, 07:55 AM   #2
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

Love it! You do you buddy. I’m at 75k and only skipped the front lip and HAS out of everything you mentioned. Plus. I’m over here thinking I should add them because I’m going to spend $1,500 on an aftermarket front splitter and the HAS is awesome. I went BSM but my other option was exactly what you have. I’m here to help you (and me) jusitify your decision! A BMW forum if probably full of enablers. What’s your build week ?
Appreciate 2
apez649.50
      08-18-2023, 07:58 AM   #3
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrivenGarage View Post
So I have my M2 allocation (Apline White, Bi Color Wheels, 6 MT), and decided on some port installed options: front lip, rear spoiler, rear diffuser, side skirts, and HAS. And now I am looking at an 80k M2. I will probably then add carbon mirror caps after market as I couldn't justify the $2k for those (there are limits!) The rest of the MP options are close enough cost wise to the 3rd party options to be worth it to me.

For me, the car isn't my daily driver, and it's just for enjoyment. So I don't mind it being a bit visually loud. I wish you could get the graphics port installed. I like how funky this car looks. I should also mention I already have a G83 M4, that I am keeping.

Anyone else in the same position? Do you feel like it's a waste to add so much to the car, especially when it's mostly cosmetic?

I dont know what the price you are being charged for some if thise carbon goodies but I would check pricing on IND and cost for installing from a local body shop. You are probably overpaying...yes, they are on your sticker and under warranty but most are simple installs. The air inlets, a little different story as they need to manipulate the front bumper piece, and HAS has its benefits (these are the two items I am having port installed).

This is just my two cents, bottom line is that its your car and your money. I am sure some think I am crazy for getting fully forged Vossens and four new shoes to be installed before I put one mile on the car, but that is what I wanted.
Appreciate 3
      08-18-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
TheDrivenGarage
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWhite! View Post
I’m at 75k and only skipped the front lip and HAS out of everything you mentioned. Plus. I’m over here thinking I should add them because I’m going to spend $1,500 on an aftermarket front splitter and the HAS is awesome.... What’s your build week ?
Exactly my thinking. I have been looking at aftermarket front splitters and they are close enough in price and I actually like the MP design. This is especially true with the HAS, because aftermarket options installed and aligned aren't much cheaper and don't carry a warranty. I have been stuck before between a car manufacuter, after markets part company, and an installer before. Never again if i can avoid it.

I think if you are debating the HAS you should go for it! Because you won't lose the down time, nor have any finger pointing if there is an issue later....

My build week is week 37! But my CA thinks it may start production early!
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 08:12 AM   #5
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I dont know what the price you are being charged for some if thise carbon goodies but I would check pricing on IND and cost for installing from a local body shop. You are probably overpaying...yes, they are on your sticker and under warranty but most are simple installs. The air inlets, a little different story as they need to manipulate the front bumper piece, and HAS has its benefits (these are the two items I am having port installed).

This is just my two cents, bottom line is that its your car and your money. I am sure some think I am crazy for getting fully forged Vossens and four new shoes to be installed before I put one mile on the car, but that is what I wanted.
IMO- There’s not that much savings on aftermarket CF parts. Maybe you can save 2 hundred bucks or so on each piece but don’t forget the huge shipping costs for these large pieces plus install if one can’t do it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:

Generally my feeling and what drives my choice of a car is the less there is the less there is to go wrong. And this includes cosmetics.

But your money, your decision. Option the car however you want it and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 08:55 AM   #7
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
IMO- There’s not that much savings on aftermarket CF parts. Maybe you can save 2 hundred bucks or so on each piece but don’t forget the huge shipping costs for these large pieces plus install if one can’t do it themselves.
Carbon fiber mirror caps from RW Carbon will save almost $2K over factory and they’re an easy install. Even for me.
Appreciate 3
ronin130131000.50
rcouchh2360.00
      08-18-2023, 08:56 AM   #8
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thats why I said I dont know what it costs added as port installed other than air inlets and HAS(port installed pricing is not the prices shown on the BMW M website). You may be correct, it may be a few dollars here and there.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 08:59 AM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I am only at 72650. I figured that was enough. Otherwise, I'd buy a CPO Cayman or some sort.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 09:11 AM   #10
KCuv
Platinum Member
Rep
Drives: Tacoma

I'm mad & happy, that M Performance parts weren't presented to me one bit. I didn't think it was POSSIBLE to have an 80k car. I put every option possible on the car excluding the things that required an auto trans, and it was 77k.

I ultimately stumbled across the m performance pictures and had to do MY OWN research speaking to a dealer 2000 miles away to get the part numbers for those parts, because my dealer had zero clue...settled for the carbon spoiler and alcantara arm rest and quit there.

In a way, glad because I could see myself going overboard easily lol.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 09:16 AM   #11
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCuv View Post
I'm mad & happy, that M Performance parts weren't presented to me one bit. I didn't think it was POSSIBLE to have an 80k car. I put every option possible on the car excluding the things that required an auto trans, and it was 77k.

I ultimately stumbled across the m performance pictures and had to do MY OWN research speaking to a dealer 2000 miles away to get the part numbers for the carbon spoiler and arm rest and quit there.

In a way, glad because I could see myself going overboard easily lol.
You must of gotten the CF buckets! Those are sweet but I passed because mine will be a daily driver and I was worried about comfort vs function. Yes, I’m new to BMW so not sure if that’s their MO by not listing all the M Performance parts on the website during the build out or if you just have to be In the know to ask for them with your dealer. Maybe it had to do with persistent limited availability of CF parts and manufacturing…?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #12
KCuv
Platinum Member
Rep

Quote:
You must of gotten the CF buckets! Those are sweet but I passed because mine will be a daily driver and I was worried about comfort vs function. Yes, I’m new to BMW so not sure if that’s their MO by not listing all the M Performance parts on the website during the build out or if you just have to be In the know to ask for them with your dealer. Maybe it had to do with persistent limited availability of CF parts and manufacturing…?
yea the carbon pack wasn't offered to me separately either - you HAD to get the roof/buckets/speedlimiter thing/trip to Carolina all in one 10k package. When I see cars on here with CF roof and not buckets, or visa versa, im clueless as to how they did that because when I ordered mine it was impossible (I would have still got the seats/roof, but not the other shit). SO I guess its not the worst thing, I get a free trip, that I was forced to pay 3k for lol.

the m performance parts, I dont think had anything to do with availability and manufacturing - she had zero clue that they existed, she told me ask the parts department after the car arrives

I ultimately said just add part numbers X & Y please, she did, they pulled up a price, and it worked.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 10:00 AM   #13
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I am only at 72650. I figured that was enough. Otherwise, I'd buy a CPO Cayman or some sort.
I’m at a modest Goldilocks price of $73K. Not too hot and not too cold.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4673.00
Ronin76740.00
      08-18-2023, 10:19 AM   #14
TheDrivenGarage
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I am a MT, and dont even have the carbon fiber seats. I am just too big for them. I am built like a line backer. So in some ways I am making my own carbon pack

Did you get your car yet? How is that armrest if so?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 10:31 AM   #15
1stM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I'm at $80k with destination charge, carbon package, few options and MP HAS.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 10:35 AM   #16
KCuv
Platinum Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I am a MT, and dont even have the carbon fiber seats. I am just too big for them. I am built like a line backer. So in some ways I am making my own carbon pack

Did you get your car yet? How is that armrest if so?
shit, hope im not too big for mine, as this will be a really poor 85k(w/ tax) purchase lol, but I honestly couldn't say yet.

no I haven't received it yet. build completed 7/5 - still sitting in Mexico.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 10:58 AM   #17
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yea the carbon pack wasn't offered to me separately either - you HAD to get the roof/buckets/speedlimiter thing/trip to Carolina all in one 10k package. When I see cars on here with CF roof and not buckets, or visa versa, im clueless as to how they did that because when I ordered mine it was impossible (I would have still got the seats/roof, but not the other shit). SO I guess its not the worst thing, I get a free trip, that I was forced to pay 3k for lol.

the m performance parts, I dont think had anything to do with availability and manufacturing - she had zero clue that they existed, she told me ask the parts department after the car arrives

I ultimately said just add part numbers X & Y please, she did, they pulled up a price, and it worked.

Getting the cf roof and/or cf trim were/are separate available options ($2,600 for roof and $800 for trim). If you wanted the cf buckets, then yes, it was a package that included everything plus M driving day just under $10k (only way to get cf buckets). If you were told otherwise, you were scammed by your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 11:48 AM   #18
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I’m at a modest Goldilocks price of $73K. Not too hot and not too cold.
At that price, you have some nice options and at a nice discount to an M4 with similar performance. You start going higher, you’re in M4 price territory. I’m sure it’s by design.
Appreciate 1
ronin130131000.50
      08-18-2023, 01:11 PM   #19
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
I am at 70k, but debating adding carbon buckets and MP HAS.

I would really like to sit in the buckets before I commit though.

I am also really debating installing the KW/MP HAS myself for a fun project.

Otherwise I will go aftermarket for diffuser, skirt and spoiler as I like the more subtle style better. Although that AutoID wing really has my attention...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:11 PM   #20
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Carbon fiber mirror caps from RW Carbon will save almost $2K over factory and they’re an easy install. Even for me.
Right, but RW Carbon is a nightmare when it comes to customer service for their shoddy parts. It's not even their parts, they just import the parts from China and you're paying the middle-man.
Which of course sucks because the stuff they have is significantly cheaper than accessories from BMW or hell, most other vendors but there's a really good reason for it.

To the OP:
I loaded my G87 to about $76K, the only options missing were an auto tranny (no thank you) and the phone overheater. So it's fairly easy to bring the car up to nearly $80 grand. If this is your fun car then by all means, get it the way you want it and the most important part is enjoy the driving experience. It's an awesome car.
      08-18-2023, 01:12 PM   #21
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedan

I was originally at 67ish with a super simple build, but I couldn't go without the carbon pkg for the buckets. Then once the roof was carbon I needed the inlets and spoiler to create flow. I spent a while considering the mp exhaust, ended up going for it. Ssooo, the seats ended up being a trap, but I'm super happy with how it all came out.

Mphas was at the top of my list, antenna cap was necessary with the roof.

Ended up around 91. I plan on keeping it forever, and don't see myself purchasing another new sports car, so once I decided to go for the seats I decided I might as well make the most of it.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #22
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Right, but RW Carbon is a nightmare when it comes to customer service for their shoddy parts. It's not even their parts, they just import the parts from China and you're paying the middle-man.
Which of course sucks because the stuff they have is significantly cheaper than accessories from BMW or hell, most other vendors but there's a really good reason for it.

To the OP:
I loaded my G87 to about $76K, the only options missing were an auto tranny (no thank you) and the phone overheater. So it's fairly easy to bring the car up to nearly $80 grand. If this is your fun car then by all means, get it the way you want it and the most important part is enjoy the driving experience. It's an awesome car.
I’ve had very good experience with the company from both parts quality and service perspective. Go fish…….and have a real nice day.
Appreciate 0