bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-11-2023, 09:50 AM   #45
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

One tech claims the oil is special based on smell? A new engine stinks due to the amount of sealant used (which is replacing gaskets). These sealers are very pungent smelling. Just resealing a camshaft cover has the work area stinking to high heaven. But sealer applied to the camshaft cover(s), possibly intake manifold, oil pan/sump, front engine cover, the engine is going to smell to high heaven. And even though the sealer is applied by a machine which puts down just the right amount and in the right place still some sealant gets squeezed out into the engine. Sometimes one can see bits of this sealant in the oil drained from a new engine or bits in the oil filter canister oil or even caught in the filter element.

The BMW S58 engine training document does not have any warning regarding an early oil change.

There is nothing in any owners manual (or factory service manuals) I've had access to that cautions against an early oil/filter service. This for BMW, M-B, MINI, Dodge, Porsche, VW, GM (Chevy/Pontiac), Ford, and Datsun/Nissan. And I almost forgot motorcycles: Yamaha, Harley and Honda.

It has been my SOP for years to have the oil/filter service done early. This was what the professional techs told me to do. And what used to be the norm. Never had a service advisor or tech tell me the early oil change should not be done due to some special oil in the engine. Some service advisors balk at what they refer to a quick-y lube service because just the oil/filter service is not a high profit service but all have agreed to let it be done.

In all the years I've never had a tech tell me the new engine oil is special. In fact I had professional techs tell me the opposite that new engine oil is not special. Well, it does need to be up to the task of lubing the engine over its service life. But beyond that...

Too late for me but one with a new car/engine will its factory fill oil could obtain a sample of the factory fill oil at the 1st oil change and at the same time obtain a sample of the oil the engine will be filled with and have both of these samples analyzed. If the oils are different, have different additives, the analysis results will show that.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2023, 10:11 AM   #46
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stM View Post
According to this service guy in the video (starting from 4:00), the oil is not the same as the standard oil.

i think this is a tech just expressing an opinion, not a fact from BMW documentation. There would need to be an oil analysis done to determine if it is different. Used oil will smell differently than fresh oil due to fuel absorbed and heat cycling. The statement of revs being limited during break-in is not backed up by any programming that is done on the car to remove any rev limiter, or the dynamic display of the rev limit shown, that we ourselves have not seen change before and after break-in service.

It is also strange that a dealer would add Ceratec to the oil when the owners manual clearly states "Do not use oil additives. Oil additives can damage the engine".

None of the non-M vehicles have a break-in oil service (such as for all B58 engines). In some markets the first oil change isn't until 2 years from vehicle delivery.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5955.50
Baller151.50
      12-11-2023, 03:52 PM   #47
tommycr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240

I’ve been slow with how I progressed the car to shifting close to red line…. Pre break-in period allowed me to get used to the car and I just slowly started shifting her higher and high as my miles built up.

Was at a gas station two days ago and the attendant was swooning over th car and asked if I could let her rip when I pulled out. First time I hit the limiter for a sec or two before shifting to 2nd but I have 1600 miles on her and feel safe doing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 07:29 PM   #48
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Too late for me but one with a new car/engine will its factory fill oil could obtain a sample of the factory fill oil at the 1st oil change and at the same time obtain a sample of the oil the engine will be filled with and have both of these samples analyzed. If the oils are different, have different additives, the analysis results will show that...
Excellent idea & I wish one of you guys could bottle a few drops of the RIS oil to see if it's truly any different (like many of us are thinking). Who knows, maybe it's a complete myth.

And those that are adding te Ceratech additives to your oil mix so early on in the engines life, why in the world would that be a good idea at this early stage... ? That part I really REALLY don't get. Fear based marketing is a curse.

Last but not lease, a great rule of them is to keep is simple with the S58. Just because it's a stout engine & almost bullet proof doesn't mean to ignore common sense knowledge. Never drive a high performance motor hard & shut it off right away. The coolant will re-circulate with the engine off but not the oil. So... don't drive it hard & put it away wet.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:07 PM   #49
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Now that you ask… the only difference was the blinker sound. It was extremely loud after the break-in service. They must have change the blinker fluid… not using it ever again!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 08:45 AM   #50
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Excellent idea & I wish one of you guys could bottle a few drops of the RIS oil to see if it's truly any different (like many of us are thinking). Who knows, maybe it's a complete myth.

And those that are adding te Ceratech additives to your oil mix so early on in the engines life, why in the world would that be a good idea at this early stage... ? That part I really REALLY don't get. Fear based marketing is a curse.

Last but not lease, a great rule of them is to keep is simple with the S58. Just because it's a stout engine & almost bullet proof doesn't mean to ignore common sense knowledge. Never drive a high performance motor hard & shut it off right away. The coolant will re-circulate with the engine off but not the oil. So... don't drive it hard & put it away wet.

Too late for my M2 but my 230i xDrive goes in today for an early oil/filter service. Car has just over 600 miles. The other day I bought two oil sample/analysis kits from a local Volvo truck dealer. I'll ask that the tech obtain two samples. One of the oil draining from the engine and one from the new oil he refills the engine with. I'll send those off for analysis and post the results.
Appreciate 5
apez660.50
NewToM367.00
aerobod3707.50
Baller151.50
      12-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #51
NewToM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Too late for my M2 but my 230i xDrive goes in today for an early oil/filter service. Car has just over 600 miles. The other day I bought two oil sample/analysis kits from a local Volvo truck dealer. I'll ask that the tech obtain two samples. One of the oil draining from the engine and one from the new oil he refills the engine with. I'll send those off for analysis and post the results.
Science!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #52
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNight707 View Post
Now that you ask… the only difference was the blinker sound. It was extremely loud after the break-in service. They must have change the blinker fluid… not using it ever again!
Make sure they also change the headlight fluid and pneumatic fluid while you have it in there. Any good Snipe technician can do it for you.
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2023, 09:26 PM   #53
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNight707 View Post
It could be the seasonal blend. Winter blinker fluid is notoriously loud due to higher benzium nitrate content. YMMV
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 10:01 PM   #54
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Make sure they also change the headlight fluid and pneumatic fluid while you have it in there. Any good Snipe technician can do it for you.
Oh, man! Missed opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
It could be the seasonal blend. Winter blinker fluid is notoriously loud due to higher benzium nitrate content. YMMV
you nailed it!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 06:26 AM   #55
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
Science!!!
Link to thread I created for the 230i xDrive oil analysis...

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2074893
Appreciate 1
NewToM367.00