bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-20-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

2nd Oil Change Due Date

Hey all, just curious if anyone else is starting to get their service coming up reminder for those that have HEA cars. I am surprised that mine is showing a due day of 4/30 (possession date) versus when the 1200 mile break in service was done in June. What are others showing?

In general this doesn't matter, just curious.
      02-20-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Break-in service has nothing to do with the regular oil service interval
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:42 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

My HEA 2023 M2 displayed a service due reminder for April 2024.

Didn't have time to write down the info but I just checked via my BMW app and Next Services is engine oil which is "due in April 2024 or 4,200 miles". I viewed the details and read "Next service is due after the specified distance or date".

I bought the car April 14, 2023. But the car has had over 4200 miles for some time now. At least several months.

Currently the car has 6800 miles on it. Guess I'll check with the BMW dealer service department today and see when I should bring the car in.

Had the break in service done at 1204 miles.

Actually I had a pre break in oil/filter service done at around 600 miles, then a post break in service done at 5K miles. For both of these services I asked that the CBS not be reset.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 10:08 AM   #4
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
Break-in service has nothing to do with the regular oil service interval
What is the basis for your response? If OCI is 12 months/10,000 miles why would it not be from the last oil change, which was a change for break-in service.
      02-21-2024, 02:15 PM   #5
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC87ZB View Post
What is the basis for your response? If OCI is 12 months/10,000 miles why would it not be from the last oil change, which was a change for break-in service.

break-in is not considered as oil service... (break in is to get rid of the water like break in oil...that´s why ist needs to be changed so early)
- oil change intervall starts from production date
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 08:40 PM   #6
fangelov
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
break-in is not considered as oil service... (break in is to get rid of the water like break in oil...that´s why ist needs to be changed so early)
That does not make much sense. The oil change interval should reset after each oil change regardless of what kind of oil was replaced. Not sure what "water like break in oil" is.
Most likely the dealer did not reset the oil change at the time of the service.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:27 AM   #7
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep

It’s break in service no oil service .. so it does not change oil service intervals …
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:45 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s break in service no oil service .. so it does not change oil service intervals …
From something my local dealer provided me:

Standard operations performed at each scheduled service.

Maintenance work:

Verify the Check Control messages.

Check the Indicator and warning lights.

Reset the CBS display.

Inspect the tires, adjust the tire pressures and reset the Tire Pressure Monitor.

Check the parking brake functionality while the vehicle is being driven into the workshop.

The 1200 mile service is a scheduled service thus based on the above the CBS would be reset after the 1200 mile service was performed.

My 2023 M2 is alerting me a scheduled service is due in 4200 miles. With 6800 miles on the car that puts the service due at 11,000 miles. Or 9800 miles after the break in service was done at 1200 miles. 9800 is darn close to 10,000 miles thus based on what I'm seeing I believe the CBS is reset after the 1200 mile service is done.

(The alert says service due in 4200 miles or April, 2024. I bought the car April 14, 2023 so the take away is the service is due in 4200 miles or at one year. No way I'll drive 4200 miles by April 14. So I have booked the car in March 19 for its CBS service. The car will probably have 7K miles on on it by then.)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:14 AM   #9
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, I had the break in oil from my 2024 BMW 230ix along with a sample of the oil that is used to refill the engine analyzed. Oh the break in oil was replaced at ~600 miles.

Besides the expected higher (but only by a reasonable amount) of wear metals (iron, copper, aluminum) in the break in oil the notable differences were the break in oil had more molybdenum (504ppm vs. 68ppm) and less magnesium ( (11ppm vs. 882ppm).

The presence of more molybdenum (anti wear) and less magnesium (at some point an abrasive) makes some sense.

Another notable difference was the break in oil viscosity (at 100C) was 7.3 while the fresh oil was 8.5.

Uh, before you go "Ah ha I told you water like break in oil!", putting "thin" oil in a new engine is just the wrong thing do as a new engine experiences a higher amount of friction (compared to an engine after going through break in) and this friction produces heat and a thinner oil could suffer from high temperature break down. (The break down arises from the tighter clearances -- which accounts for the increase in friction.)

Thus I find it hard to accept the break in oil came out of the barrel with this reduced viscosity.

However, my plan is to when it is time to change the oil in the 230ix engine again I'll have a sample of the oil analyzed and see how it has fared after at least several thousand miles compared to a virgin sample I had analyzed along with the break in oil.

If it has lost a comparable amount of viscosity then that's oil breaking down. If not then that tips the scale towards the factory using a lower viscosity of oil for the initial oil.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-05-2024, 04:58 PM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
FWIW, I had the break in oil from my 2024 BMW 230ix along with a sample of the oil that is used to refill the engine analyzed. Oh the break in oil was replaced at ~600 miles.

Besides the expected higher (but only by a reasonable amount) of wear metals (iron, copper, aluminum) in the break in oil the notable differences were the break in oil had more molybdenum (504ppm vs. 68ppm) and less magnesium ( (11ppm vs. 882ppm).

The presence of more molybdenum (anti wear) and less magnesium (at some point an abrasive) makes some sense.

Another notable difference was the break in oil viscosity (at 100C) was 7.3 while the fresh oil was 8.5.

Uh, before you go "Ah ha I told you water like break in oil!", putting "thin" oil in a new engine is just the wrong thing do as a new engine experiences a higher amount of friction (compared to an engine after going through break in) and this friction produces heat and a thinner oil could suffer from high temperature break down. (The break down arises from the tighter clearances -- which accounts for the increase in friction.)

Thus I find it hard to accept the break in oil came out of the barrel with this reduced viscosity.

However, my plan is to when it is time to change the oil in the 230ix engine again I'll have a sample of the oil analyzed and see how it has fared after at least several thousand miles compared to a virgin sample I had analyzed along with the break in oil.

If it has lost a comparable amount of viscosity then that's oil breaking down. If not then that tips the scale towards the factory using a lower viscosity of oil for the initial oil.
It has almost certainly mechanically sheared down or is the product of fuel dilution. My S55 sheared the BMW TPT LL01FE 0W-30 to 8.3 cSt after only 2500 miles of running. This is why I don't believe these already low viscosity oils are a good idea if you plan to keep the car for a very long time. BMW turbo engines are not easy on oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:30 AM   #11
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It has almost certainly mechanically sheared down or is the product of fuel dilution. My S55 sheared the BMW TPT LL01FE 0W-30 to 8.3 cSt after only 2500 miles of running. This is why I don't believe these already low viscosity oils are a good idea if you plan to keep the car for a very long time. BMW turbo engines are not easy on oil.
I agree. With the mechanically sheared point. Oil temperature gets too high for there to be any fuel dilution or water in the oil.

Have my M2 booked March 19 for a CBS service. Alert indicted time to have service done in 4200 miles (car had around 6800 miles on it at the time) or by April 2024. (I bought the car April 2023. Had the break in service done at 1204 miles.)

I have two oil sample kits in the car. Already have asked if the tech will collect sample of the "old" oil and the new oil. Was told sure.

The M2 oil doesn't have that many miles on it since I had the oil changed -- out of schedule -- at around 4800 miles.

But I'm going to have the oil analyzed.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-06-2024, 03:07 PM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I agree. With the mechanically sheared point. Oil temperature gets too high for there to be any fuel dilution or water in the oil.

Have my M2 booked March 19 for a CBS service. Alert indicted time to have service done in 4200 miles (car had around 6800 miles on it at the time) or by April 2024. (I bought the car April 2023. Had the break in service done at 1204 miles.)

I have two oil sample kits in the car. Already have asked if the tech will collect sample of the "old" oil and the new oil. Was told sure.

The M2 oil doesn't have that many miles on it since I had the oil changed -- out of schedule -- at around 4800 miles.

But I'm going to have the oil analyzed.
It could still be from fuel dilution even if all the fuel has evaporated. The reason is that the fuel can degrade the polymer VII which thicken the lighter base oil. I tend to agree with you though.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:21 PM   #13
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Same here. 04/30. My change is happening in the first week of April. I’ll be at around 13,000 km then.

I liked the fact the break-in wasn’t factored in, since I wanted an oil change earlier anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:22 AM   #14
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

2nd CBS service, the 1st being the 1200 mile running in service, was done yesterday.

The service alert -- which appeared some weeks ago -- said a service was due in 4200 miles (with approx. 6800 on the odometer) or by April 2024.

I bought the car April 14, 2023.

As it turned out the car had 7196 miles on it when I took it in. But I had the oil/filter serviced last Sept. 21, with 4883 miles on the car. (I like to enter the winter driving season with fresh oil in the engine. And I like to begin the summer driving season with fresh oil in the engine.)

A multi-point inspection was done before any services done. There is no info on the results of the multi-point inspection. No tire wear noted, no brake wear noted, etc.

A standard scope service was done per factory warranty maintenance.

Last but not least an oil/filter service was done.

Car was driven 3 miles.

I bought two oil analysis kits from a local Volvo big rig dealer parts department and had them in the car. The BMW tech collected an oil sample of the old oil and the virgin oil. I will send both of these in today for analysis and when I have the results I'll post them.

Service took very close to 1.5 hours. And was done at no cost to me. (Kind of surreal to get my car key handed back and not have to swipe a credit card...)

So the M2 received its 2nd CBS service.

Fresh oil in the engine. All other systems are Go. Weather is getting nicer. I see more usage of the M2 in my future.

Well, after my dentist appointment this afternoon...
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00