home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-14-2024, 04:25 PM   #1
BD3
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2 TR 6MT

Garage List
Differential Shortage

I went last week to the local dealer to get the 1200 mile break in service performed. I got the oil changed and the software recalibrated. But the differential fluid was not changed because the dealer did not have any fluid. The dealer said that he would order the fluid, but BMW would not even give him a “ship by” date so he had no idea when the fluid would actually arrive. I found another dealer, 48 miles away, who had 11 quarts, and I am driving there for the fluid change. I will be at 1260 miles when I get there, so I do not think any problems will arise. But just be aware that your local BMW dealer, especially if it is a small business, may or may not have the fluid that you need to do the 1200 mile break-in service. This all occurred in central Pennsylvania, where there are very few BMW M2‘s, and even fewer BMW dealers who have the fluid to do the 1200 mile break-in. So, if you live in rural or remote area, I would check ahead of time to make sure that your dealer actually has the fluid to do the break-in service, since I am told that the differential fluid cannot be obtained from BMW at this time.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2024, 07:55 PM   #2
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 22 PFinder, 24 Truk

So differential FLUID shortage……
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2024, 08:08 PM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
This happened to me during my break in service and it took 3-4 months before I could get it done. However, the dealership was supposed to notify me. I got tired of waiting and called asking when the magical diff fluid would come in. Surprisingly, they had it. I wondered if I had called two months sooner if they would have had it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2024, 12:57 PM   #4
Kerp
Registered
Rep
Drives: G87

Same thing happened to me when I had my break in done in July. Made the dealer go pick up fluid from another local dealer and bring it back to finish the job. Make sure you check with the service advisor that your dealer has everything before you go in for the appointment. This "shortage" has been ongoing since at least June.
Appreciate 1
azv31113.50