BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-24-2024, 03:55 AM   #23
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep
Drives: g87 m2 / x3m

I just looked at the DFV advertisements, and every stock photo shows the spring with the lower tail in the same orientation as Kevin has it now, because it matters. Its still mcpherson strut, and still has the same problem they invented side loading springs for. If you really think this is a coilover setup thats part of the problem, its not coilover, its mcpherson strut. The rear shock is individual with no spring on it as well. Ohlins should not be calling this a coilover setup. coilover is for double wishbone suspension systems, and g series cars do not have that.

There is a lot of confusion with side loading springs, the vehicle has a nice little pocket in the strut tower that leads a technician to think they can arrange the lopsided spring into that area , so it has more clearance from the tire. I was making the same mistake when I put in my KW ast kit, Kevin this is not directed at you, someone else is giving you incorrect info. Maybe the install info is wrong I dont know.

Last edited by maxwell smart; 04-24-2024 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 03:18 PM   #24
m2not1LE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI, 2025 M4 Comp on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinG87 View Post
The adjustments are based on ohlins setup data. I started it off at 10 clicks all around. From there I started to test drive the car on various roads, cannons, tracks and taylor the adjustments based on how i feel the car should handle like the way i want it to. After many hours of testing, I finally set it to 10 front and 11 rear. The rear axle is set to be softer then the front so the car can find it grip while accelerating. While the front can be a bit stiffer to reduce oversteer when in the conner. The way it is now is pretty good, the car is more direct and firm. This is why i went with coilover so i can have individual setting for my driving style. I might adding more psi for the rear wheels so see how it feel.
Spring origientation don’t really matter much for coilover setup, because simply put the top and bottom spring are flat out so you dont really have to put them in a certain way. I took max’s advise just to see how it is.
Great to know that you researched your settings (per the manual) rather than taking wild a*s guesses.

In any event, your original spring orientation was factory correct and your dampers are not leaking - just some "spillover" outside thread lubricant (facilitates ride height adjustment).

These Ohlins look very nice. I know many go with KW instead, though I'm planning on running my M2 (2025 pending allocation) 100% production line stock.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 03:48 AM   #25
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep

m2not1LE,
I can appreciate your desire to keep the car 100 percent stock. I'm all about oem and keeping things stock, but you're going to find there's no way to love the car with the front riding so high, lol. After installing a lowering kit I did not like how it drove. so, I put it back to stock, but with oem BMW m3 competition front springs. the ride height is absolutely perfect now. drives like a new car, not a new car compromised with a lowering kit.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 10:46 PM   #26
kevinG87
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: g87 m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell smart View Post
I just looked at the DFV advertisements, and every stock photo shows the spring with the lower tail in the same orientation as Kevin has it now, because it matters. Its still mcpherson strut, and still has the same problem they invented side loading springs for. If you really think this is a coilover setup thats part of the problem, its not coilover, its mcpherson strut. The rear shock is individual with no spring on it as well. Ohlins should not be calling this a coilover setup. coilover is for double wishbone suspension systems, and g series cars do not have that.

There is a lot of confusion with side loading springs, the vehicle has a nice little pocket in the strut tower that leads a technician to think they can arrange the lopsided spring into that area , so it has more clearance from the tire. I was making the same mistake when I put in my KW ast kit, Kevin this is not directed at you, someone else is giving you incorrect info. Maybe the install info is wrong I dont know.
Hey Max, appreciated the info man. Since i reorientated the spring like oem. I did noticed some differences in how the front is more direct and the steering wheel feel more lighter. My steering wheel was dragging to the right before, but it is much better now. I am happy to say you are right.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 04:38 AM   #27
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep

Cool, glad I could help.
Now if I could only get all the people who have HAS to figure out the same thing.
Its interesting that HAS and this DFV system don't have an index to force the spring to the correct position. Surely the install instructions refer the installation to a qualified technician, and qualified technicians understand side loading springs and their arrangement.
The strut shaft is fixed , and the strut body has to revolve around it and up and down on it. with the spring backwards it causes binding in those actions.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:33 PM   #28
m2not1LE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
m2not1LE,
I can appreciate your desire to keep the car 100 percent stock. I'm all about oem and keeping things stock, but you're going to find there's no way to love the car with the front riding so high, lol. After installing a lowering kit I did not like how it drove. so, I put it back to stock, but with oem BMW m3 competition front springs. the ride height is absolutely perfect now. drives like a new car, not a new car compromised with a lowering kit.
No, I'm not going to find that at all because I know that BMW set the ride height to optimize all suspension component and vice versa.

Replacing just the front springs in an otherwise OEM set-up with increase understeer while deteriorating overall ride quality. Any given the typical state of US roads, the car will be SLOWER in many high speed turns due that added understeer plus the suspension
"chattering" (vs. adhering) to the road surface.

Competition springs are for race tracks and should never be added to a car without a host of other complimentary improvements.

Where did you earn your mechanical engineering degree if you don't mind asking?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:38 PM   #29
m2not1LE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Please just drop the "side loaded springs" thing. You were claiming that was the "cause" of somebody else's Ohlins' damper leaks from the beginning, despite the "leak" just being manufacturer applied outer thread lubricant (to faciliate initial spring height adjustment) that spread an 1" or so beyond the threads.

You've yet to produce a single shed of proof demonstrating his car's springs were out of position as delivered by Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 05:05 AM   #30
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep

I'm not arguing this with you. This is not your problem so I'm not sure why you are here trying to flex. You have a mechanical engineering degree, evidently that does not include suspension engineering. I helped a person correct a problem, please mind your business if this problem does not apply to you. Keep your car all stock and have a good life. This is the last time I will comment to you, bye ,bye
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:45 AM   #31
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

It's an inverted monotube. If you get a damper fluid leak, it will likely be on the bottom side of the strut.
Appreciate 0