proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #45
phyek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral White M4

Just saw my first Stingray last night, definitely an option now. Pix don't do the car justice, looks 100x better live. Interior is pretty solid too, big upgrade from previous Vettes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #46
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyek
Just saw my first Stingray last night, definitely an option now. Pix don't do the car justice, looks 100x better live. Interior is pretty solid too, big upgrade from previous Vettes.
The latest comparison in C&D which pits it against the 911 S is also quite impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #47
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyek View Post
I'm sure it'll handle/perform awesome but IMHO, it has too many gimmicky design details
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #48
phyek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
I'm sure it'll handle/perform awesome but IMHO, it has too many gimmicky design details
Have you seen it in person? The pix make it look cheesy. In person, the car looks rich. Like I said, the interior is a HUGE upgrade from legacy Vettes
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #49
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Have you seen it in person? The pix make it look cheesy. In person, the car looks rich. Like I said, the interior is a HUGE upgrade from legacy Vettes
I saw one at the car show and local Chevy dealer. It is a big improvement from previous generation.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #50
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
I bet it does. Can't wait until I get to see one, however if you want to order one you will have to wait quite a long time

The M4 will look like a beast in real life too, pictures can never do a performance car justice IMHO there's 3 important steps to judging a car
1. Seeing and hearing it in the real world
2. Sitting in it and being able to get good feel for the interior
3. Driving it

I say go test drive the GTR it might not be worth all the hype, check out this video this guy was actually dissapointed

Also, some Nissan GTR dealers can be some cocky assholes too
      10-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #51
phyek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I bet it does. Can't wait until I get to see one, however if you want to order one you will have to wait quite a long time

The M4 will look like a beast in real life too, pictures can never do a performance car justice IMHO there's 3 important steps to judging a car
1. Seeing and hearing it in the real world
2. Sitting in it and being able to get good feel for the interior
3. Driving it

I say go test drive the GTR it might not be worth all the hype, check out this video this guy was actually dissapointed

Also, some Nissan GTR dealers can be some cocky assholes too
I am leaning toward the GTR, but will have to test drive the Stingray and M4 before making a final decision. Hate the wait!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #52
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
I am leaning toward the GTR, but will have to test drive the Stingray and M4 before making a final decision. Hate the wait!
Same here I've been waiting for so long for a new car but the longer I wait the better my options get. Do you know if chevy dealers have demo C7s they do not sell but keep for test drives? I know BMW is doing that with the 435
      10-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #53
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

I think it is unfair to compare the M4 against a C7. Although many magazines and folks cross shop/compare these vehicles, IMO the M4 will be more GT than sports car. The C7 is a more a purpose built sports car with only 2 seats.

Both will probably be fun to drive but I wouldn't be disappointed if the M4 costs more and yet will not perform as well on a track compared to a C7.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #54
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Having drove the 14 Black Edition GTR, I can say it will not be my next purchase. It's fast and decent fun to drive but I had more fun in the M3 and FRS. Mostly because the GTR doesnt speak to my soul. I don't think the GTR is inferior it's just a person choice, one that is not for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #55
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyek
Interesting. I felt the exact opposite. Pics looked pretty good (except for the heinous rear end), but seeing it in person was terrible. Looked cheap, no subtlety, trying way too hard. Basically, it looks like a transformer - which sounds cool, but really isn't. Transformers are plastic toys, which is what the C7 looks like to me. The performance to value ratio is super high though, and I agree the interior is better than past generations - but let's be honest, the bar was very low to begin with.

For a dedicated track car, the C7 (and future performance variants) is very interesting. For a street car, I'll take the M4 all day long.
      10-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #56
Rookie84
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Chevy Caprice

To non-enthusiasts, GT-R looks like just another Nissan Coupe. When I see a GT-R on the road and point it out, they don't get why I am so excited about it. When I tell them how much it costs, they are very surprised and do not get why people spend so much money on a "Nissan."

GT-R is not a car for attention grabbing. Well, it will surely grab attention among MALES who are interested in cars, but most women will surely think regular BMW 4-series is nicer than the GT-R. GT-R is for people who appreciate its performance per dollar value, as it truly is in supercar territory with its performance.

Most non-enthusiasts also can't tell a difference between 420i and M4. Well, they might think M4 is a bit nicer looking than 420i but that's about it.

Anyway, with that aside, we can all safely assume that M4 will never beat GT-R performance wise out of the box. GT-R is competing with supercars, and past M3s were never quite there. For me, I prefer a car that needs a good driver to go fast rather than a car that makes everybody look like a great driver. I also prefer RWD as it's just more fun to let the tail hang out when you feel like it.

Anyway, I can see why GT-R vs M4 can be cross-shopped, but if you look closely, they are very different cars and it really comes down to what you want. If you do not know what to choose between the two, then you haven't driven either(well, M4 isn't out yet so nobody has driven it but you can get a pretty good idea of what it will be like from previous gen M3).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #57
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

While I had my second of two E92 M3's, I contemplated the new M4, the GTR and the C7 Vette. While I think GM made considerable strides with the C7 interior wise, I just could not get past that hideous rear end. I saw the M4 unveiling and was not completely sold on its styling.... in pictures.

I've had a GTR itch for a number of years. I located a 2010 GTR in gunmetal with just 9,900 miles on it and pulled the trigger. I have had it for about 2.5 months now and absolutely love it. No, it is not as refined as the M3 or a 911 but more ballsy and aggressive. I drive it to work (about 19 miles) three days a week and find it to be a pretty damn good daily driver although I do not drive it EVERY day. The GTR is not quite as good a DD as my former M3 but definitely better than a 911 or Corvette.

I was pretty accustomed to German engineering and was a bit concerned about whether I would like the Japanese engineering. That concern was quickly put to rest.

I look forward to the new M3 and M4 hitting the streets. Got M in my blood (have owned E46 M3, two E92 M3's and an E60 M5) and will always be intrigued as to what BMW M division is putting out.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #58
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post
To non-enthusiasts, GT-R looks like just another Nissan Coupe. When I see a GT-R on the road and point it out, they don't get why I am so excited about it. When I tell them how much it costs, they are very surprised and do not get why people spend so much money on a "Nissan."

GT-R is not a car for attention grabbing. Well, it will surely grab attention among MALES who are interested in cars, but most women will surely think regular BMW 4-series is nicer than the GT-R. GT-R is for people who appreciate its performance per dollar value, as it truly is in supercar territory with its performance.

Most non-enthusiasts also can't tell a difference between 420i and M4. Well, they might think M4 is a bit nicer looking than 420i but that's about it.

Anyway, with that aside, we can all safely assume that M4 will never beat GT-R performance wise out of the box. GT-R is competing with supercars, and past M3s were never quite there. For me, I prefer a car that needs a good driver to go fast rather than a car that makes everybody look like a great driver. I also prefer RWD as it's just more fun to let the tail hang out when you feel like it.

Anyway, I can see why GT-R vs M4 can be cross-shopped, but if you look closely, they are very different cars and it really comes down to what you want. If you do not know what to choose between the two, then you haven't driven either(well, M4 isn't out yet so nobody has driven it but you can get a pretty good idea of what it will be like from previous gen M3).

You are the only person I have ever heard make these two statements. If anything, it is the exact opposite with the GTR. I have been approached by more people (granted, mostly males...but men are car people; women are not) in the 75 days of my GTR ownership than all of my previous cars COMBINED inquiring about what the car is, how cool it looks, never seen one before, how infrequent they see one, etc. Trust me, based upon their lack of knowledge and what they were driving, they were not car enthusiasts.

Last edited by alms21; 10-12-2013 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #59
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

San Francisco doesn't have a Chevy dealership. I have to like drive far to get to one.

10-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #60
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Nope...nor did I ever dream of owning a Porsche. I mean why? They are a dime a dozen. I dreamed of a Ferrari and Lambo.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #61
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Hey guys,

Both cars are practical and can be daily drivers, but the GTR screens performance while the M4 has the performance but is definitely more tame

Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #62
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post

BMW M3/M4 are not sports cars, they're sports coupes/sedans

What an idiotic statement. I swear to God, I hear this on every forum lately. Car (insert forum name) is not a sports car, it's a grocery cart/premium sedan/sporty but not sports ... Is that the cool thing to say now? Knock on other enthusiasts car, to feel good about yourself? Go hang out somewhere else then. Why are you trolling these threads? It's one thing to knock any other car as not being a sports car (whatever that means to you), but the M3? Are you out of your mind? Geez.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #63
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post

BMW M3/M4 are not sports cars, they're sports coupes/sedans

What an idiotic statement. I swear to God, I hear this on every forum lately. Car (insert forum name) is not a sports car, it's a grocery cart/premium sedan/sporty but not sports ... Is that the cool thing to say now? Knock on other enthusiasts car, to feel good about yourself? Go hang out somewhere else then. Why are you trolling these threads? It's one thing to knock any other car as not being a sports car (whatever that means to you), but the M3? Are you out of your mind? Geez.
I think you misunderstood. Huge M fan. The M3/M4 are amazing and one of them will be my next vehicle. While they would hold their own in most performance categories, these cars are not purpose built sports cars. They are sports versions of coupes/sedans. As in "sports coupe" or "sports sedan". How is that not true? In many cases the M cars are superior to sports cars built from the ground up and are more practical and classier as well. They are probably not going to be as fast as cars like the C7 or GTR. Maybe you and I have just differing definitions of what a sports car is.

Last edited by nonagon; 10-14-2013 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #64
Rookie84
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Chevy Caprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
You are the only person I have ever heard make these two statements. If anything, it is the exact opposite with the GTR. I have been approached by more people (granted, mostly males...but men are car people; women are not) in the 75 days of my GTR ownership than all of my previous cars COMBINED inquiring about what the car is, how cool it looks, never seen one before, how infrequent they see one, etc. Trust me, based upon their lack of knowledge and what they were driving, they were not car enthusiasts.
Hence the reason why I stated GT-R will only grab attention from males who are interested in cars, if you read my post carefully. I admit that I am incorrect about non-ethusiast part. Let me correct that with "people who are not interested in cars." Anyway, most women judge cars by A. BADGE B. BADGE C. BADGE D. LOOKS.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #65
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The GT-R has ultimate respect in the racing community and a supercar in every respect of the word. It set the 9th fastest time in Nürburgring history but yet can still be an everyday driver. It's neither luxurious nor a show off car for mid-life crisis bond traders with too much money; rather, it's built for pure performance which is what a supercar should be.
I disagree. A supercar should have super performance and have super feel, super build quality, super grade materials, fit and finish, super sounds, etc.

It should be super both objectively and subjectively. The GTR is only super objectively. However, this is why it only costs a little over $100k. If it had all the other stuff, it would cost $180k, like the 911 Turbo S, which does have all the other stuff.
      10-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #66
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I disagree. A supercar should have super performance and have super feel, super build quality, super grade materials, fit and finish, super sounds, etc.

It should be super both objectively and subjectively. The GTR is only super objectively. However, this is why it only costs a little over $100k. If it had all the other stuff, it would cost $180k, like the 911 Turbo S, which does have all the other stuff.
While I do agree that the GTR isn't really a supercar, a Porsche 911 Turbo S is not a supercar either.

A big factor as to why the 911 Turbo S costs $180K is because of the Stuttgart badge on the hood. If I've got $180K to spend on a car, it will not be a Porsche...................unless I find some idiot willing to sell me his/her CGT for $180K.
Appreciate 0