Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
RW Carbon M2 DTM Trunk Spoiler

RW Carbon

Thought I'd do a separate thread. The factory trunk spoiler leaves much to be desired as it's small and color matched. I wanted a CF truck spoiler but instead of one of the larger ones I wanted something smaller.

I looked at the AUTOID CS spoiler and liked the look but shipping was understandably quite expensive. One advantage is they install the tape on the spoiler for you.

I next looked at the RW Carbon M2 DTM Trunk Spoiler. It looks like the CS spoiler and although it's priced a bit higher even adding the tape ( which you have to apply to the spoiler ) the substantially less shipping cost ( plus a 7% discount) more than offsets that.

Removing the factory spoiler was interesting. I heated it up with a hair dryer, used a bondo squeegee and pulled back through it while my son lifted the end and lightly pulled up on it.

BMW uses A LOT of adhesive for the factory spoiler and it's a PITA to remove. I heated it up, sprayed on 3M Adhesive Remover, let it set for 1-2 minutes, and "scratched" it with the sharp edge of a plastic trim tool to loosen it up.

Next I used the bondo squeegee to scrape the loose residue off followed by spraying a rag with the 3M and wiping it clean. That part took about an hour.

The spoiler arrived and it was an excellent quality piece of art. Beautifully made and goes well with the CF roof.

Install was easy. Clean it with IPA, apply 3M Adhesive Promoter and let it dry per 3M guidelines.

Apply 3M VHB tape to spoiler, press it into place per 3M's guideline (>15 PSI)

Next clean the truck lid with IPA, mock up the spoiler and tape the corners and leading edge as install guides.

Once ready to install, peel back a small amount of the VHB covering on each end and tape it to the side of the spoiler.

Apply Adhesive Promoter and again let it dry.

Place spoiler in place per tape guides, making sure it's lined up. Grab each tab and pull the VHB covering off out from under the spoiler. Apply pressure per 3M guidelines (>15 psi ) and then let set for proper cure time. Interestingly enough as you can see by the chart you need to keep 3M VHB at room temp for 72 hours to promote full bond.

Total time about 1:15
Attached Images

Lost2332.50
      03-14-2024, 10:48 PM   #2
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Looks great. My AutoID CS spoiler is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Was debating between this RW spoiler and the AutoID CS but ended up going with the CS as it was in stock (RW was back ordered). They look almost identical and don't think you can go wrong with either.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:01 PM   #3
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoR View Post
Looks great. My AutoID CS spoiler is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Was debating between this RW spoiler and the AutoID CS but ended up going with the CS as it was in stock (RW was back ordered). They look almost identical and don't think you can go wrong with either.
From the pics they do look identical to me. I know RW Carbon sources from overseas factories and I assume to their specs. I would assume others do the same so different companies could easily be selling the same or nearly the same product.
      03-15-2024, 07:27 AM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
From the pics they do look identical to me. I know RW Carbon sources from overseas factories and I assume to their specs. I would assume others do the same so different companies could easily be selling the same or nearly the same product.
Does look good on your vehicle. More than likely the spoilers are all from the same place in China just marked up.
Appreciate 1