02-22-2024, 10:57 PM   #1
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Maxton Rear Diffuser

I took a chance and ordered the Maxton Rear Diffuser last week. On the plus side Maxton US distributor shipped the diffuser quickly and it arrived without any damage. Unfortunately that seems to be the only positive.

The diffuser fitment is extremely poor as are the mounting points. There are extreme pressure point at both of the upper corners against the bumper. So much so that it causes the middle of the diffuser to bow out causing a major gap between the top edge of the diffuser and the bumper. Unfortunately I didn't have VHB tape, but did try to secure the diffuser with some other 3M exterior mounting tape I had available. The tape didn't correct the issue. I've ordered some VHB tape and will try to remount this weekend. If it successfully holds I will post an update.

The tabs used to secure the diffuser to the bumper are less than ideal. Smooth tabs that simply slide into the holes in the bumper. No tabs/notches to hold the tabs in place as you see on the stock diffuser. Small locking tabs/notches would likely have helped secure the center of the diffuser and allow it to mount more flush with the bumper.

As mentioned by Hook3549 in the other thread, there is nothing to mount the diffuser on the lower, under side of the car. I'd honestly be hesitant to even get up to freeway speeds with this thing installed as it seems the lower part of the diffuser would "scoop" are crap ton of air and bow outwards. Maybe I'm being paranoid but without anything to secure the lower middle portion of the diffuser I can see this becoming an issue.

There are two holes on the far corners that mount to existing screws under the car. So two screws and a bunch of non-locking tabs to hold the diffuser in place, that's it. There are two long pre-mounted screws on the inside center of the diffuser. These have rubber caps on them and appear to be standoffs that are supposed to keep the lower portion of the diffuser from flopping inward. Ironic as I suspect something is actually needed to secure the lower portion and keep it from being pulled outwards at high speed.

Overall I'm extremely disappointed in the quality, fitment and mounting points. I've installed numerous lips, skirts and diffusers (of various price points) on previous cars and the Maxton Rear Diffuser is worse than some $100-$150 Ebay pieces I've purchased. I realize it's only $265.00 piece so I wasn't expecting much. But I'm still extremely disappointed.

Hopefully me being the guinea pig will save someone else a few bucks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DBV778.50
      02-23-2024, 09:51 AM   #2
thinking
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

I installed this diffuser last week and the fitment is just okay. In your installation, I can see you are missing some things required for the proper installation.

The long preattached screws are supposed to drill into the inner part. You have two bolts in the packaging to fasten those screws. Another thing is you really have to take your time and push the tabs into the bumper. This is not easy and it took me some time. I did it myself because I didn't trust the local workshops. I felt like they would scratch something so I better do it myself.

I'll try to get some pictures so you can see the fitment can be corrected.
Appreciate 2
DBV778.50
JCoR126.00
      02-23-2024, 01:01 PM   #3
JCoR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking View Post
I installed this diffuser last week and the fitment is just okay. In your installation, I can see you are missing some things required for the proper installation.

The long preattached screws are supposed to drill into the inner part. You have two bolts in the packaging to fasten those screws. Another thing is you really have to take your time and push the tabs into the bumper. This is not easy and it took me some time. I did it myself because I didn't trust the local workshops. I felt like they would scratch something so I better do it myself.

I'll try to get some pictures so you can see the fitment can be corrected.
Thanks for the input. I did not receive any nuts for the pre-attached screws. Only a small package with 4x self tapping screws. And the pre-attached screws have rubber nubs/tops installed, so I assumed they were just standoffs to prevent the bottom of the diffuser from moving inwards.

I pushed the diffuser pretty damn hard into the bumper but could not get it to seat correctly. I think the pressure at the corners is causing the top middle of the diffuser to bow outwards. does yours have the pressure at the top corners?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 05:20 PM   #4
thinking
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Yes, I have the pressure at the top corners as well, but if you notice while pushing the diffuser tabs that the bumper is very flexible, and that's why tabs are not going in.

I've some gap too in the middle but I believe it can be fixed once my car is on the lift. You just have to press the bumper from inside while pushing the tabs. I did the installation without lifting the car so it was hard for me to look underneath and find the right spot to add pressure from inside. But still, it does not bother me with the current results.

For the long preattached screws, you'll have to drill and you can buy the bolts easily. I received it in the packaging maybe because I'm located in Germany.

Name:  IMG_0795.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  463.8 KB
Appreciate 2
Hypori137.50
JCoR126.00
      02-23-2024, 10:05 PM   #5
JCoR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking View Post
Yes, I have the pressure at the top corners as well, but if you notice while pushing the diffuser tabs that the bumper is very flexible, and that's why tabs are not going in.

I've some gap too in the middle but I believe it can be fixed once my car is on the lift. You just have to press the bumper from inside while pushing the tabs. I did the installation without lifting the car so it was hard for me to look underneath and find the right spot to add pressure from inside. But still, it does not bother me with the current results.

For the long preattached screws, you'll have to drill and you can buy the bolts easily. I received it in the packaging maybe because I'm located in Germany.
Thanks for getting pics. I'm going to try and run to the hardware store this weekend and see if I can get the bolts. I will also try to remount and see if I can get the tabs to lift up and into the bumper further (may have to end up removing the bumper). Did you attached two bolts to each screw, one front and back of the metal that you drilled in to?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 01:22 AM   #6
thinking
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoR View Post
Thanks for getting pics. I'm going to try and run to the hardware store this weekend and see if I can get the bolts. I will also try to remount and see if I can get the tabs to lift up and into the bumper further (may have to end up removing the bumper). Did you attached two bolts to each screw, one front and back of the metal that you drilled in to?
Yes, I attached the bolts. You will drill in the plastic not metal. Careful there
There is one plastic panel behind metal sheet
Appreciate 1
JCoR126.00