BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

02-04-2022, 11:15 PM   #1
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

All season tires on staggered setup?

So based on what I am reading and learning from you guys. It sounds like most of you are getting non rft performance tires + winter wheel tire set. I get why you do it. It handles better for specific weather and longer tire life.

But let's say I don't want to spend an extra $2474 on a winter wheel and tire set, couldn't I just get a staggered set with all season tires?

Can a dealer do that?
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3RLD View Post
So based on what I am reading and learning from you guys. It sounds like most of you are getting non rft performance tires + winter wheel tire set. I get why you do it. It handles better for specific weather and longer tire life.

But let's say I don't want to spend an extra $2474 on a winter wheel and tire set, couldn't I just get a staggered set with all season tires?

Can a dealer do that?
If you need all seasons from the factory the only option is to get a square wheel setup (19x8).

You could option the staggered performance wheel option you like and just swap the tires to all seasons once the car comes in. It'll be more like $1k as opposed to spending $2.5k for a additional set of wheels.
Park asst pkg
HK audio
Aluminum trim
Appreciate 2
EM3RLD82.50
TJZ67201842.50
      02-05-2022, 06:52 PM   #3
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman View Post
Quote:

Can a dealer do that?
If you need all seasons from the factory the only option is to get a square wheel setup (19x8).

You could option the staggered performance wheel option you like and just swap the tires to all seasons once the car comes in. It'll be more like $1k as opposed to spending $2.5k for a additional set of wheels.
Thanks for your response!

I suppose I could use it until the tires need to be updated and then change it to an a season.

How bad would it be to drive post snow (not in the middle of snow) using the high performance non rft tires (893M)?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 10:13 PM   #4
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks for your response!

I suppose I could use it until the tires need to be updated and then change it to an a season.

How bad would it be to drive post snow (not in the middle of snow) using the high performance non rft tires (893M)?
If the tires are touching snow you won’t be going anywhere. If there’s no snow at all but it’s cold out things will be slippery.
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-05-2022, 10:48 PM   #5
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Can a dealer do that?

Now if I do decide to swap out the performance tires with an all season tires, can I sell the "used" performance tires? Is there such a thing? Or can I at least re use it somehow? Sorry if this is a silly question 😅
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can a dealer do that?

Now if I do decide to swap out the performance tires with an all season tires, can I sell the "used" performance tires? Is there such a thing? Or can I at least re use it somehow? Sorry if this is a silly question 😅
You should be able to sell them if they are in good shape
Park asst pkg
HK audio
Aluminum trim
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #7
Frequencyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m240i

What would you say is the max you could fit on the 19x8 square setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 07:32 AM   #8
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can a dealer do that?

You should be able to sell them if they are in good shape
Cool! That's good to hear.
Are there any downside to having all season tires on the staggered setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 08:14 AM   #9
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool! That's good to hear.
Are there any downside to having all season tires on the staggered setup?
The only downside is not being able to rotate the tires front to back. You can only rotate them side to side.
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #10
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Thanks for all the input and OP for asking. I plan on doing just this.. ordering the NRF performance setup and getting good all seasons once next winter comes around

Good to know I should be able to sell the performance tires in a used but good condition, probably on FB marketplace
Appreciate 1
EM3RLD82.50
      02-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #11
EM3RLD
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Thanks for all the input and OP for asking. I plan on doing just this.. ordering the NRF performance setup and getting good all seasons once next winter comes around

Good to know I should be able to sell the performance tires in a used but good condition, probably on FB marketplace
🙌 glad I'm not the only one.

Let's just hope we get the car sooner than later 😅
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      02-08-2022, 07:49 AM   #12
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
The only downside is not being able to rotate the tires front to back. You can only rotate them side to side.
Be careful. You should check your tires to make sure they are not directional. On a staggered setup, you can only rotate directional tires from side to side if they are dismounted and re-mounted.
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #13
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
Quote:
Be careful. You should check your tires to make sure they are not directional. On a staggered setup, you can only rotate directional tires from side to side if they are dismounted and re-mounted.
Good point!
Park asst pkg
HK audio
Aluminum trim
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 12:15 PM   #14
kel445
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I've ordered the 1VX option with the performance non run flats. I plan on doing the same, since I live on Cape Cod and it gets snowy and cold here, too! Snowing now as I write this! I've been researching the ultra high performance all season non run flats. After watching UTube videos, etc, I've narrowed my choices down to two tires: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and the Continental Contact DWS06 Plus. I do not intend to track my vehicle. Being over 70, I don't feel like changing tires and wheels every 6 months. Any comments or suggestions as to these two choices, or should I also consider other options, etc? I, too, plan to sell my original equipment performance tires soon after delivery of my new M240xi.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:14 PM   #15
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

I live in Denver and put staggered all seasons on my car since the snow really doesn't stick around long here and i don't like how snow tires perform/feel in the dry.. I have the cooling and hp tire package which comes with the wider front and rear wheels. I decided to do the Michelin pilot sport 4 all seasons. Since I put them on about a month ago, of course it has snowed at least once a week! Lol. So far I'm pretty impressed with them. The rear does kick out pretty easily in the snow but I kind of like that!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #16
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel445 View Post
I've ordered the 1VX option with the performance non run flats. I plan on doing the same, since I live on Cape Cod and it gets snowy and cold here, too! Snowing now as I write this! I've been researching the ultra high performance all season non run flats. After watching UTube videos, etc, I've narrowed my choices down to two tires: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and the Continental Contact DWS06 Plus. I do not intend to track my vehicle. Being over 70, I don't feel like changing tires and wheels every 6 months. Any comments or suggestions as to these two choices, or should I also consider other options, etc? I, too, plan to sell my original equipment performance tires soon after delivery of my new M240xi.
I ordered Conti DWS06+ (245/35-19F and 255/35-19R) this morning after debating between that and the Michelin Pilot sport A/S 4 for sometime.

I think both tires will work well since the performance difference is so minute based on reviews I came across. The michelins seem to work better on track but the DWS06+ seem to have a slightly better on-road manners which is what I was after.

Discount tire has a $110 discount on the Michelin's from today till 2/21 which brought down the price difference between the contis and the michelins to ~$10

In the end, I dont think you could go wrong with either option.

Last edited by mechman; 02-18-2022 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2022, 12:05 PM   #17
kel445
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply, mechman. My 1VX option comes thru with 225/40/19F and 255/35/19R. While we share the same rear tire size, your front tires are different. May I ask why your front tires are the larger size? Is that an option that I could utilize? And if so, what would be the advantage for me to do so, rather than keeping the original size? Although my CA said I had an immediate allocation, I've been waiting in Production Scheduling for over two weeks, No VIN yet, either. Probably be May before I see the vehicle. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #18
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, mechman. My 1VX option comes thru with 225/40/19F and 255/35/19R. While we share the same rear tire size, your front tires are different. May I ask why your front tires are the larger size? Is that an option that I could utilize? And if so, what would be the advantage for me to do so, rather than keeping the original size? Although my CA said I had an immediate allocation, I've been waiting in Production Scheduling for over two weeks, No VIN yet, either. Probably be May before I see the vehicle. Thanks!
I have the same front and rear size as you but decided to upsize the front as I think the 225 looks too skinny given the width of this car.

The max width on the rear 19x8.5 is 255mm which is the stock size on the car but the front being 19x8 can only accommodate a 245mm wide tire.

I figured upsizing the front should provide better handling feel in the dry while giving up some performance in snowy conditions. I dont intend to drive this car much in snow as it wont be my primary car.

Moreover, wider tires also look cooler
Appreciate 2
Roadwar128.50
kel44574.50
      02-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #19
kel445
Private
Rep

Since I'm retired and have no need to drive in snow, I'm probably going to do the same as you. Anything that can make me look cooler at my age, I've got to give it a shot!! Tire and wheel combinations on these vehicles can sure be confusing! Thanks!
Appreciate 3
mechman156.50
Roadwar128.50
      02-19-2022, 09:43 PM   #20
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
I ran the Pilot All Seasons on my F22 and never regretted it a bit.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #21
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
I ordered Conti DWS06+ (245/35-19F and 255/35-19R) this morning after debating between that and the Michelin Pilot sport A/S 4 for sometime.

I think both tires will work well since the performance difference is so minute based on reviews I came across. The michelins seem to work better on track but the DWS06+ seem to have a slightly better on-road manners which is what I was after.
I've also been checking out performance all season. I went to Tire Rack and checked the spider charts that compare those two tires plus two others. What surprised me was the Conti outperformed the Michelin significantly in the wet (with the exception of steering characteristics), but also on the dry track, and also had significantly better road manners (quietness/ride quality/comfort). I too will choose the Conti's. Based on tire racks data they seem to be a better all-around tire as far as all season performance.
Appreciate 1
mechman156.50
      02-24-2022, 04:00 PM   #22
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Quote:

I've also been checking out performance all season. I went to Tire Rack and checked the spider charts that compare those two tires plus two others. What surprised me was the Conti outperformed the Michelin significantly in the wet (with the exception of steering characteristics), but also on the dry track, and also had significantly better road manners (quietness/ride quality/comfort). I too will choose the Conti's. Based on tire racks data they seem to be a better all-around tire as far as all season performance.
I'll be at the tire shop this time next Thursday swapping my tires just after picking up my car at the performance center 😀
Park asst pkg
HK audio
Aluminum trim
Appreciate 1