Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #1
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Door Locking

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Without belaboring the details I find myself frequently getting out of the car while it's running and needing to open the passenger door, I always find it locked.

My last cars had a toggle to lock doors when underway, which I kept off -- can I configure the M2 to stop locking the passenger door without losing the comfort access auto-lock when leaving the car (not running)?
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #2
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
Without belaboring the details I find myself frequently getting out of the car while it's running and needing to open the passenger door, I always find it locked.

My last cars had a toggle to lock doors when underway, which I kept off -- can I configure the M2 to stop locking the passenger door without losing the comfort access auto-lock when leaving the car (not running)?
Select Vehicle Apps, Doors and Windows, Lock/Unlock.

Don't recall all the options and my car is not handy to check this but there may be a setting that allows you to tailor the door locking behavior to your liking.

After putting the car in the garage and shutting off the engine I get out of the driver's door but the passenger door remains locked -- if I fail to remember to push the unlock button on the driver's door -- but when I go to open the passenger door comfort access -- me grabbing the handle -- unlocks the passenger door.

I very seldom -- maybe never (so far) -- have had a need to once the engine is running and the doors have locked -- after say a drive -- to bring the car to a stop and leaving the engine running and get out and open the passenger door. But I believe the comfort access would work in this situation too. If not I'd quickly develop the habit to push the unlock button on the driver's door before getting out to unlock the passenger door.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #3
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks -- I know where the settings are for Doors and Windows.. just haven't worked out how to stop it from locking when the car is on.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

Have you checked the settings here?

Touchless unlocking/locking

1. "MENU"
2. "Vehicle apps"
3. "Doors and windows"
4. "Comfort access"
5. Select the desired setting.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #5
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe I haven't been deep enough, I'll have a look. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #6
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Thanks — I know where the settings are for Doors and Windows.. just haven't worked out how to stop it from locking when the car is on.
Many owners find this very useful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clydefrog288.50
      Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #7
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

My M2 is equipped with a manual. So I didn't bother to check it. My 230xi is equipped with an automatic and I used the car today.

Took pics of the door lock settings choices...

There is a setting which will unlock the doors when the transmission is put into P (Park).

Not shown in the picture but I enabled this and tried it and sure enough it works.

Oh, I know there is the owners manual and I looked at my copy (digital). It just has general info. There is this at the beginning of the section on locking....

Depending on the equipment and national market version, various settings for opening and closing are possible.

I have encountered this or something like it a number of times. What I end up doing is getting in the car and pulling it out of the garage and then parked I go through the apps in this case vehicle apps and open the doors/locks app and see what settings are available.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:05 AM   #8
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep

My M2 is a MT.. I just stop, neutral, parking brake and get out.. would like to know that unless I locked them, the doors remain unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:26 AM   #9
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My M2 is a MT.. I just stop, neutral, parking brake and get out.. would like to know that unless I locked them, the doors remain unlocked.
I would think disable that "Lock after a short time" control. Then the only time the doors lock is if you push the lock button on your door or the passenger pushes the lock button on the passenger door.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:29 AM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I would think disable that "Lock after a short time" control. Then the only time the doors lock is if you push the lock button on your door or the passenger pushes the lock button on the passenger door.
That is correct, if that setting is disabled, the car will stay unlocked while stationary, whether running or not, until the lock button is pressed.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:23 PM   #11
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:

My last cars had a toggle to lock doors when underway, which I kept off — can I configure the M2 to stop locking the passenger door without losing the comfort access auto-lock when leaving the car (not running)?
You should disable the lock when driving off feature so the car doesn’t lock the doors when you drive. So they’ll always be unlocked.

If you want them to lock when you drive, since they only automatically unlock when you turn off the car, you’ll need to push the “unlock doors” button on your door before moving to the passenger door/trunk.

These have no effect on comfort access, so you’re safe there.
Appreciate 0