bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-13-2024, 10:02 AM   #1
inevitab1e
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i G42

Android Auto for music/phone, not for Nav?

Can Android Auto be configured to ignore the Navigation apps (waze, etc)?
I prefer the ID8 navigation interface.
I don't mind Android Auto for music/phone

Last edited by inevitab1e; 06-13-2024 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Don’t know about Android but with Apple CarPlay, you just select Nav wither via touchscreen or the hard idrive buttons.
Media and phone can be through CarPlay
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2024, 04:50 PM   #3
kudos
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I can't even get my phone to be compatible in this car for Android Auto. It's installed on the phone but car won't take it.
      06-13-2024, 05:33 PM   #4
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Occasionally, the Nav button on iDrive in my car (ID8) will take me to the BMW navigation (which I don't want). I think if that doesn't do it for you, I think you could press Home to go back to the main screen, then select the BMW navigation tile? Maybe you can then shortcut that to your shortcuts as well.

Alternatively, you can disable some apps on Android Auto. I somehow doubt it will let you disable Google Maps, but who knows? Found this on the interwebs:

***On your phone***
"In the Settings search bar, type "Android Auto." Tap the first result to open the Android Auto settings. On the Android Auto menu, tap Customize Launcher under General settings. Uncheck the boxes next to any apps that you want to remove from the Android Auto launcher."
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2024, 06:34 PM   #5
inevitab1e
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Don’t know about Android but with Apple CarPlay, you just select Nav wither via touchscreen or the hard idrive buttons.
Media and phone can be through CarPlay
When Android Auto is in use, the ID8 nav button on the home screen says something like "Android Auto nav activated".
The ID8 button is changed and not accessible like normal. When pressing, it just goes back to android auto (waze, etc) in the AA screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #6
inevitab1e
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Occasionally, the Nav button on iDrive in my car (ID8) will take me to the BMW navigation (which I don't want). I think if that doesn't do it for you, I think you could press Home to go back to the main screen, then select the BMW navigation tile? Maybe you can then shortcut that to your shortcuts as well.

Alternatively, you can disable some apps on Android Auto. I somehow doubt it will let you disable Google Maps, but who knows? Found this on the interwebs:

***On your phone***
"In the Settings search bar, type "Android Auto." Tap the first result to open the Android Auto settings. On the Android Auto menu, tap Customize Launcher under General settings. Uncheck the boxes next to any apps that you want to remove from the Android Auto launcher."
Thank you for this information.
The last bit I think is what I was looking for. Selecting which apps are available through the Android Auto interface. I was able to uncheck Waze and will test the next time in vehicle. Google maps didn't have the option to uncheck, but I'm better off now than before.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 08:48 AM   #7
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
Thank you for this information.
The last bit I think is what I was looking for. Selecting which apps are available through the Android Auto interface. I was able to uncheck Waze and will test the next time in vehicle. Google maps didn't have the option to uncheck, but I'm better off now than before.

Thank you
I figured out this morning how to get into the ID8 navigation when AA is active. On the home screen of ID8, on the left side you have the 5 icons, second from the bottom is the Nav icon and it will take you to the BMW navigation even when AA is active. Not the most convenient solution, but it will get you there even if Google Maps is active on AA based on my testing.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2024, 10:53 AM   #8
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I figured out this morning how to get into the ID8 navigation when AA is active. On the home screen of ID8, on the left side you have the 5 icons, second from the bottom is the Nav icon and it will take you to the BMW navigation even when AA is active. Not the most convenient solution, but it will get you there even if Google Maps is active on AA based on my testing.
Didn’t I say that in post 2
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 11:39 AM   #9
grooveK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 530i, G42 m240i

i dont connect my phone to android auto. i just go through bluetooth. a couple of reasons i dont use AA is bc i want my hud to display the map and aa was buggy when i tried it out and i am much more comfortable using waze and other apps on my phone than aa. apps seem to have limited functions (or more like, i cant bother to learn them on the aa ui while im driving) and everything is seamless anyways thru bt.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 12:35 PM   #10
Littlecoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Didn’t I say that in post 2
I added specificity to your post with particulars to Android Auto. You cannot use the navigation tile because it is linked to Android Auto. You can use the button on the leftmost side though as that is a direct link to the ID8 navigation. You also mentioned the hard buttons would go to the ID8 navigation, this is not always the case when connected to Android Auto; normally the hard navigation button when linked to Android Auto will go to your navigation through Android Auto, not the ID8 navigation. When mine has actually gone to ID8 navigation when using Android Auto using the button, this is a glitch.

I see you mentioned your comment pertains to CarPlay, and not Android Auto. I suspect the functionality is different between the two since our two experiences differ.
Appreciate 0