E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Flopping Windshield wipers

09-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Flopping Windshield wipers

I just came home from my trip to Atlantic City today and on the way home near Philadelphia, it started raining. I had my auto-wipers on since it was foggy all morning. Any we got into some really heavy rain and the wipers seemed to be working fine, but soon the bottom of the driver's wiper blade starting "flopping" like it was flapping in the wind. But soon after both blades were flapping so much it seemed almost like they were ready to fly right off! I was actually tempted to pull over and go out and check to make sure they were still actually connected to the wiper.

Is this normal??? Normally I would think this was the way they're supposed to work, but I see now on my windshield, there are two marks from the wipers. The best I can describe them is if you take a pencil eraser and use it on a piece of glass...you get that rubbery film kind of thing.

Anyone know? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds strange, almost asif they left some type of residue on the window causing them to "flap"

You havent put anyting like rain repelant on the windscreen ? or somethng on the wipers to make them shine or look more black ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nope. Maybe the dealer put on some kind of rain repellant on the glass, but that would have been back in May, and I've washed my car 5-6 times since then. And I've been in the rain quite a few times now, and this never really happened.

I didn't put anything on the wipers or glass...just old fashioned soap and water for washing
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Id sugest washing the windscreen and making shure there is nothing on it and giving the wiper rubber a wash ( just a wipe or 2 with soapy water right there in the wiper arm) and then maybe wiping the rubber with a paper towel to see if anything comes off

Then when all is clean have someone sit in the car and switch the wipers on full while you wet the windscreen with water

The see if you can see anything wrong

If it does the same or doesnt work quite right take it to the dealer to look at the wipers

If all is fine then it may just have been something on the rubber or windscreen
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Good advice, E90Fleet. Thanks!

You know, come to think of it, the car was covered in salt from the ocean breeze...the parking garage was directly in the path of the ocean. I guess it's possible that could be it. But the way it was raining, I really find it hard to believe it hadn't all washed off--at least on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
and then maybe wiping the rubber with a paper towel to see if anything comes off
Yes, I tend to do that when I see the wipers aren't cleaning properly. If the symptoms continue, I just change the rubbers for new ones. Problem fixed.

In shap's case of course they are new ones so I hope the problem was fixed with a soap & wipe.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Good advice, E90Fleet. Thanks!

You know, come to think of it, the car was covered in salt from the ocean breeze...the parking garage was directly in the path of the ocean. I guess it's possible that could be it. But the way it was raining, I really find it hard to believe it hadn't all washed off--at least on the windshield.
Probably still neded to be soaped down properly with some gentle elbow grease as well.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0