home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-18-2024, 05:52 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Cool All-Rounder vs Special Car plus Meh car

So I posted a similar thread about 2 years ago, but I find myself back on this debate (aka crazy car person) and the equation has changed a little.

I currently have a 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 manual. It brings me a lot of joy with its visceral NA engine, nice manual and focused handling. It is my only car and does it all.

I sometimes wonder if I would be better off getting a comfortable automatic car (think civic) for the mundane stuff and then having a special weekend car.

Some of the candidates for that special car include a 991.1 GTS manual, 991.2 GT3 manual, Gated Gallardo, R8 V10 gated.

In my current scenario, I drive the GTS 4.0 for everything. I live in the city and with traffic and bad roads, sometimes the GTS can be a bit of a chore. On the other hand, I get to experience it all the time.

I don't commute to work by car and only put about 10000 km a year on a car.

I once had a 1990 laser turbo and a 1991 300zx at the same time. The 300zx was nicely modded and was worth about 3 times the laser.

What I found when I had both is that I rarely drove the 300zx, I would often find a reason that it made not the right choice, the parking was bad where I was going, the roads were rough (the 300zx was low) etc.

So most the time I was driving the laser and hardly got to enjoy the 300zx.

So part of me thinks it's best to stick with the GTS 4.0 since while it's not the right tool for the job in some cases (traffic and rough roads) I am at least enjoying and experiencing it several times a week.

If were to get a special car I would probably only drive it once a week on a weekend morning.

Are those once a week drives in the special car plus a bunch of boring drives in an automatic civic better than driving the GTS 4.0 all the time?

would be interested in hearing people's experiences and thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 05:59 AM   #2
MJBO
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Why would you want to spend most of your driving time behind the wheel of something boring?

I reckon prioritise having an awesome daily, then if circumstances permit add something special for the weekends.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2024, 06:24 AM   #3
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I'd personally prefer the 2 car solution. I wouldn't necessarily think Civic, but maybe something more of a cruiser or an SUV. I believe in having the right car for the right job.

The only thing to keep in mind is the special car would cost a lot and you'd only drive it occasionally. I find myself wondering why I've got so much cost sunk in to the weekend cars (payment, insurance, taxes, but the big one is maintenance) only to drive them every blue moon. But in my situation, it's OK for now, although I can see that changing soon. I'm currently at 5 cars total, and I'm in the daily 95% of the time.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50
      07-18-2024, 06:29 AM   #4
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
So I posted a similar thread about 2 years ago, but I find myself back on this debate (aka crazy car person) and the equation has changed a little.

I currently have a 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 manual. It brings me a lot of joy with its visceral NA engine, nice manual and focused handling. It is my only car and does it all.

I sometimes wonder if I would be better off getting a comfortable automatic car (think civic) for the mundane stuff and then having a special weekend car.

Some of the candidates for that special car include a 991.1 GTS manual, 991.2 GT3 manual, Gated Gallardo, R8 V10 gated.

In my current scenario, I drive the GTS 4.0 for everything. I live in the city and with traffic and bad roads, sometimes the GTS can be a bit of a chore. On the other hand, I get to experience it all the time.

I don't commute to work by car and only put about 10000 km a year on a car.

I once had a 1990 laser turbo and a 1991 300zx at the same time. The 300zx was nicely modded and was worth about 3 times the laser.

What I found when I had both is that I rarely drove the 300zx, I would often find a reason that it made not the right choice, the parking was bad where I was going, the roads were rough (the 300zx was low) etc.

So most the time I was driving the laser and hardly got to enjoy the 300zx.

So part of me thinks it's best to stick with the GTS 4.0 since while it's not the right tool for the job in some cases (traffic and rough roads) I am at least enjoying and experiencing it several times a week.

If were to get a special car I would probably only drive it once a week on a weekend morning.

Are those once a week drives in the special car plus a bunch of boring drives in an automatic civic better than driving the GTS 4.0 all the time?

would be interested in hearing people's experiences and thoughts on this.
I have a 993 for my fun car and a pick up truck for my daily. I haven't lived in Toronto for years but I won't even take my Porsche into the city anymore because the road are so shit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 06:58 AM   #5
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

I'd skip the mundane daily and keep using your GTS until you justify an exciting "daily." Like a F87 DCT M2. Easy in traffic with the DCT, yet still very fun to drive.

I am in a similar situation, but I cannot justify the cost of a two-car approach (F87 for the weekends and mundane car for the weekdays). After you factor in the total cost of owning a vehicle that isn't enjoyable to drive, it makes way more financial sense to own and drive one car that puts a smile on your face 90% of the time. Sometimes, being OK with your current car situation is the right move, and further optimization or pursuit of "better" isn't always the right path.

On a personal note: when I land at my home airport after a business trip and walk out to my M2 for the drive home, I am excited to get in after driving a boring rental car during the days prior!
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50
      07-18-2024, 07:01 AM   #6
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335i, '18 BRZ

I was in a similar position with regards to a pure toy car (think Lotus Elise or even Ariel Atom or Caterham 7), and after thinking long and hard I decided that I won't be driving a car like that anywhere near enough to justify owning one. For some people owning a very cool car and driving it a handful of times a year might make sense (both financially and personally), but I'm not there yet.

My two rules of thumb for fun cars are:
  • The cars should have about the same usability, so there is no preference between them in that regard (and no excuse not to take one of them out).
  • Have specific conditions for each car. For me, if the weather is nice I'll take the E93 with the roof down. If it's raining, too hot or too cold I'll take the BRZ.

It wouldn't have made sense to me to have an E92 with the BRZ, for example, as they meet the same condition (being sporty coupes). And something like an Atom falls on the usability front (with two seats, no storage, super low, no roof, etc.).

In my particular case I also have a minivan for family duties, but I can still take my kids around in either fun car so they get driven quite a bit.
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50
      07-18-2024, 07:10 AM   #7
Bc2005
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

If you are single, and therefore can only use one car at a time, also take a close look at the total cost for that 2nd car.

Insurance prices are going higher, and every car needs maintenance and repairs. In my state I also pay personal property tax each year on cars. Most folks also end up with a loan when they get the 2nd car. All that money could go to something you find even more fun (travel, track days, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 07:59 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would not want a Civic or similar appliance. They are great cars and I tell people to buy them, but they are not for me as an enthusiast. If I have a nice car, I want to drive it. I am not trying to preserve it for its next owner.

If possible, buy another fun car, but one that is a little more practical. There actually is a Civic/Integra that is fun, but it costs $50k and is also manual transmission. The manual trans seems to be your biggest complaint so you need a DCT or auto for the second fun car. Seems like you don’t need much size so small would work. I have not really researched those options. Audi RS3 perhaps.

Yes, another fun car is expensive, but the OP appears to be able to buy what he wants. In the end, you can’t take the money with you. I was going to buy a 991.2 Turbo, but realized it could not do everything I wanted and therefore I would not drive it as much and would not enjoy it as much. I bought an F90 M5 instead and it does pretty much everything I want. My need for manual transmissions is over — had them for years and they do give you something to do while driving but they are slower and get worse MPG nowadays compared to an auto. Prior to the M5, I drive an E90 M3 6 speed manual for 10 years — it was reasonably practical but I was getting tired of the manual (which certainly is not as nice a manual as in the Cayman). I also realized that 95% of my driving is on fairly straight roads or windy secondary roads where you cannot drive at ridiculous speeds due to other drivers and cops, so handling did not need to be race worthy. There are a few guys who track their M5s…..
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50
      07-18-2024, 08:16 AM   #9
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, 718 GT4

The 718 GTS is a great single vehicle. I wouldn't get a daily driver if it was going to be a Civic. Maybe another M2?
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50
      07-18-2024, 08:31 AM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Why would you want to spend most of your driving time behind the wheel of something boring?

I reckon prioritise having an awesome daily, then if circumstances permit add something special for the weekends.
As an expat aussie in Toronto, I don't think you can fathom how bad the roads are here. I was home recently and it felt like your roads were paved with gold. It's a fucking MINE FIELD here.

OP as you know I went through all this myself, I live 15km from centre of Toronto and the roads in my area are absolutely third world. If I ever sell my 997 it won't be because of the car, it will be because of the roads. They are that bad.

I WFH and do about 4K KM a yr. So I was tossing up between keeping my 2008 9-3 wagon beater and getting myself a 911 or doing double duty in a PP2 S550 Mustang or more likely, E92 M3. For me, and YMMV, the 2 car solution is what I went with because .............

a) trying to keep a DD nice here is almost impossible, the roads, the weather and people dinging it up etc. my Saab looks like SHIT.

b) Less stress DD a beater when you DGAF

c) It's nice to jump in your special car on weekends or say like last evening to take the kids to soccer, car is fresh, clean, looks the part etc

Downside is the hassle of two cars (3 in my case), insurance, maintenance etc, all a PITA.

Now TBH when the kids get older I may go back to one car, kick the wife's car out of the garage and just have one do it all machine for myself but right now 2 cars is the solution for me.... for you though...... i dunno.

You may just need a bi-annual Turo rental of an R8 or whatever to scratch an itch every so often. Oh and if 2 cars, the special one needs to be a convertible doesn't it?
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50
      07-18-2024, 09:25 AM   #11
mjj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4 Comp Verde BR

Civic Type R would be a consideration for a fun daily driver that is still affordable.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 09:32 AM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj View Post
Civic Type R would be a consideration for a fun daily driver that is still affordable.
It's like 60 beans man. What are you guys smoking saying a beater should be M2 or Type R?
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2024, 10:35 AM   #13
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post

Agreed. I've tried it both ways, and every time I bought a boring but useful daily, I hated it and sold it. Now that I'm a bit older with kids, my "fun drives" time is basically zero, and my Corvette (my "special" car) sits in the garage on a charger.

That said, my X5 M50i daily and the Trailblazer SS before it were awesome daily drivers that are also fun and also great family haulers.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 10:41 AM   #14
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

i like the 2 car setup.

its cheaper to have a weekend car that does not depreciate (e92, m2cs, 458, gt3, viper,etc) and then something else that can eat miles for extremely little money. your insurance/maintenance will be much cheaper too because most of your miles are in a cheap car. this also makes the weekend car feel 'special' every time you get in.

2 car setup totaling 150k (997 or 991.1 porsche + 20k civic) can be cheaper to run over 3-5 years than just having one 100k car (g80 m3) to use every day and rack up miles.

plus when you sell that m3 you can't get top dollar on private party, you're forced to trade in and get shafted by the dealer. dealer just offered me 50k on my 21 m2 comp 2 months ago, i made a post on m2 forums and a guy said 60k was a pipe dream.... i just sold it for 60 private party yesterday. and i dont need to rush into another car because, yup i can drive my civic and bide my time waiting for the next perfect deal to pop up.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT

Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | F87 M2c | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50
      07-18-2024, 10:56 AM   #15
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I'm at the all-rounder stage with my m240i... not really interested in driving anything nicer at this point due to factors stated above. Not brave enough for a Cayman even though I know it's do-able. KW roads are better than TO, it's the drivers now.

I also enjoy personalizing (modding) my cars and holding on to them till they turn into a brown pile of rust. So that also isn't everyone's favorite thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 10:57 AM   #16
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I'm at the all-rounder stage with my m240i... not really interested in driving anything nicer at this point due to factors stated above. Not brave enough for a Cayman even though I know it's do-able. KW roads are better than TO, it's the drivers now.
Key West roads? Roads there are great, just all the drunk tourists and weirdos...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 10:59 AM   #17
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Key West roads? Roads there are great, just all the drunk tourists and weirdos...
Oh I'm sure you guys in FL would win in that competition.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 01:11 PM   #18
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I would not want a Civic or similar appliance. They are great cars and I tell people to buy them, but they are not for me as an enthusiast. If I have a nice car, I want to drive it. I am not trying to preserve it for its next owner.

If possible, buy another fun car, but one that is a little more practical. There actually is a Civic/Integra that is fun, but it costs $50k and is also manual transmission. The manual trans seems to be your biggest complaint so you need a DCT or auto for the second fun car. Seems like you don’t need much size so small would work. I have not really researched those options. Audi RS3 perhaps.

Yes, another fun car is expensive, but the OP appears to be able to buy what he wants. In the end, you can’t take the money with you. I was going to buy a 991.2 Turbo, but realized it could not do everything I wanted and therefore I would not drive it as much and would not enjoy it as much. I bought an F90 M5 instead and it does pretty much everything I want. My need for manual transmissions is over — had them for years and they do give you something to do while driving but they are slower and get worse MPG nowadays compared to an auto. Prior to the M5, I drive an E90 M3 6 speed manual for 10 years — it was reasonably practical but I was getting tired of the manual (which certainly is not as nice a manual as in the Cayman). I also realized that 95% of my driving is on fairly straight roads or windy secondary roads where you cannot drive at ridiculous speeds due to other drivers and cops, so handling did not need to be race worthy. There are a few guys who track their M5s…..
my addiction to natural aspiration and manual is what puts me in this bind, otherwise a 992 911 PDK would do the trick as an all rounder, more liveable than my manual GTS 4.0
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #19
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff113 View Post
The 718 GTS is a great single vehicle. I wouldn't get a daily driver if it was going to be a Civic. Maybe another M2?
you have a sweet stable there

I had an M2C prior to the GTS 4.0 and honestly they are almost equal fun
if the M2C had a naturally aspirated engine I think I would have kept it, it's an awesome all rounder.
Appreciate 1
jeff11368.50
      07-18-2024, 01:15 PM   #20
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
As an expat aussie in Toronto, I don't think you can fathom how bad the roads are here. I was home recently and it felt like your roads were paved with gold. It's a fucking MINE FIELD here.

OP as you know I went through all this myself, I live 15km from centre of Toronto and the roads in my area are absolutely third world. If I ever sell my 997 it won't be because of the car, it will be because of the roads. They are that bad.

I WFH and do about 4K KM a yr. So I was tossing up between keeping my 2008 9-3 wagon beater and getting myself a 911 or doing double duty in a PP2 S550 Mustang or more likely, E92 M3. For me, and YMMV, the 2 car solution is what I went with because .............

a) trying to keep a DD nice here is almost impossible, the roads, the weather and people dinging it up etc. my Saab looks like SHIT.

b) Less stress DD a beater when you DGAF

c) It's nice to jump in your special car on weekends or say like last evening to take the kids to soccer, car is fresh, clean, looks the part etc

Downside is the hassle of two cars (3 in my case), insurance, maintenance etc, all a PITA.

Now TBH when the kids get older I may go back to one car, kick the wife's car out of the garage and just have one do it all machine for myself but right now 2 cars is the solution for me.... for you though...... i dunno.

You may just need a bi-annual Turo rental of an R8 or whatever to scratch an itch every so often. Oh and if 2 cars, the special one needs to be a convertible doesn't it?
I get what you mean about the special second car for special drives, but I probably would almost never drive it, hence the debate
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 01:17 PM   #21
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i like the 2 car setup.

its cheaper to have a weekend car that does not depreciate (e92, m2cs, 458, gt3, viper,etc) and then something else that can eat miles for extremely little money. your insurance/maintenance will be much cheaper too because most of your miles are in a cheap car. this also makes the weekend car feel 'special' every time you get in.

2 car setup totaling 150k (997 or 991.1 porsche + 20k civic) can be cheaper to run over 3-5 years than just having one 100k car (g80 m3) to use every day and rack up miles.

plus when you sell that m3 you can't get top dollar on private party, you're forced to trade in and get shafted by the dealer. dealer just offered me 50k on my 21 m2 comp 2 months ago, i made a post on m2 forums and a guy said 60k was a pipe dream.... i just sold it for 60 private party yesterday. and i dont need to rush into another car because, yup i can drive my civic and bide my time waiting for the next perfect deal to pop up.
I am trying to avoid the financial aspect because you only live once, for me it's really about what will bring me the most enjoyment and I fear I won't enjoy the special car much as happened with my 300zx back in the day

side question: why did you sell the M2C? I really liked mine
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2024, 01:30 PM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
I get what you mean about the special second car for special drives, but I probably would almost never drive it, hence the debate
Then to be frank you've answered your question.

The logical answer is M2 but turboz. I'd look long and hard at the older Z4M with the NA straight 6, find a garage queen with low miles and just pay for it.

Softer and more livable than a GT4 but NA straight 6.
Appreciate 1
baege1382.50