home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

09-07-2024, 04:08 PM   #1
rchan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G87

Exclamation Infotainment frustratingly bad

I've had this vehicle for ~1300 miles now and I have to say that there are some problems I'm seeing with the infotainment are just downright annoying.

1. Once a week I see the message of my bluetooth version no longer being compatible. What is this? I Google the problem and it looks like it exists all different BMW models. If I restart the vehicle the problem sometimes fixes itself, but not always. I use an iPhone 15, so I know for sure it's not outdated.

2. CarPlay just went to shit on latest update, the Cursor on the Google Maps and Apple Maps no longer moves and is stuck in place.

3. Why on earth does it always tell me to check the rear view seats for someone sitting there when I park?

4. The default navigation app is okay, but why is it that when I need to turn left, the cursor is like a block behind? This is just crazy.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 04:33 PM   #2
BradMX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
I've had this vehicle for ~1300 miles now and I have to say that there are some problems I'm seeing with the infotainment are just downright annoying.

1. Once a week I see the message of my bluetooth version no longer being compatible. What is this? I Google the problem and it looks like it exists all different BMW models. If I restart the vehicle the problem sometimes fixes itself, but not always. I use an iPhone 15, so I know for sure it's not outdated.

2. CarPlay just went to shit on latest update, the Cursor on the Google Maps and Apple Maps no longer moves and is stuck in place.

3. Why on earth does it always tell me to check the rear view seats for someone sitting there when I park?

4. The default navigation app is okay, but why is it that when I need to turn left, the cursor is like a block behind? This is just crazy.

Number 3 at least can be fixed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 04:20 AM   #3
ninja_geezer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

I must admit ive seen the Bluetooth version message before ,recently changed phone now on a Samsung s23 not seen it yet on this one as for the other issues only use google maps they work flawless .the back seat thing is a tick box.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 10:13 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I had the bluetooth message once in 11,000km, 2 updates ago. Still with the same old iPhone SE (now on iOS 17.6.1) and no recurrence.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 12:33 PM   #5
julioengineer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 230i M Sport

I got the Bluetooth not compatible message yesterday. Reset the iDrive and that fixed it. Actually, resetting the iDrive could fix the other issues with the Nav and CarPlay you are having.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 02:51 PM   #6
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioengineer View Post
I got the Bluetooth not compatible message yesterday. Reset the iDrive and that fixed it. Actually, resetting the iDrive could fix the other issues with the Nav and CarPlay you are having.
I'm having a few issues with CarPlay & iDrive 8 that I've posted about. Resetting the iDrive no longer fixes them. OP I also have iphone 15. I have no issues with my iphone in my wife's '22 X3MC with iDrive 7.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 08:47 AM   #7
WhiteRqbbit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 G87

The Bluetooth issue is BMW using the updated standards; it's a security issue—the "key" has expired. This can happen from anything changing, such as a car update or a phone update.

Also, I'd never rush to update the - I haven't done a single update, and everything works fine, I'm going to keep it that way, haha.
      09-10-2024, 09:16 AM   #8
RobM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRqbbit View Post
The Bluetooth issue is BMW using the updated standards; it's a security issue—the "key" has expired. This can happen from anything changing, such as a car update or a phone update.
The key should rotate then. The protocol supports that seamlessly.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 12:08 PM   #9
musicmd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

SiriusXM station selection

Hello all,

New owner of a slightly used 2024 M2 with 6MT. Got it in Chicago with ~4,000 miles and without a blemish anywhere.

Love the car so far but am surprised how clunky the SiriusXM channel selection is with the infotainment interface! In every other SiriusXM equipped car I've had, you could use a keypad to type in a station, but this doesn't seem to be possible on the M2.

For example, I enjoy listening to live sports on longer drives. If I knew there were a lot of games being broadcast (pro/college football, MLB, NHL, etc.), I would type in "200" and hit Enter and then scroll easily up and down to find a game I wanted to listen to.

On the M2, there doesn't seem to be a keypad option for typing in the station number you want. I use voice search, but it often makes mistakes and I have to give the verbal command multiple times before it gets it right.

Am I missing something? Short of designating favorites, is there a quick way to type in a SiriusXM channel number?

Thanks . . .
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 09:03 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep

You should be able to write the channel numbers on the iDrive touchpad on the top of the controller, with your finger tip.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 10:36 PM   #11
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

On my 3.5 hour trip today there is one spot where CarPlay cuts in & out for a min or two then the entire screen goes black with just the home icon in the top left corner. CarPlay is still playing my Spotify & navigation directions for the route I had plugged in.

If I go to the home screen and scroll to the right it will show me the song that's playing, if I scroll over one more it shows the navigation, but if I click the CarPlay icon, it takes me to a black screen.

I reset idrive then it pops up "cannot connect this device" with a lock icon with an i inside the lock. Go to mobile devices & it shows my phone connected, it also shows connected on my phone, but will not launch CarPlay.

Reset iDrive again, same thing. Turned my phone off then on, no change. Toggled off bluetooth on the phone, back on, then had to go to mobile devices, and click the checkbox on CarPlay and it would finally reconnect.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 12:42 AM   #12
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
On my 3.5 hour trip today there is one spot where CarPlay cuts in & out for a min or two then the entire screen goes black with just the home icon in the top left corner.
I have a similar problem with CarPlay in our Macan every time I pass near Edmonton airport on the way to the track near there (haven’t driven by there in the M2). It is typically caused by weather radar interfering with 5GHz wifi connections that are favoured for use by CarPlay over 2.4Ghz.

The music via CarPlay on the Macan often comes back after a minute or so over a distance of a couple of kilometres, but often will continue playing music with a blank screen.
Appreciate 1
azv31113.50
      09-14-2024, 04:35 AM   #13
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I have a similar problem with CarPlay in our Macan every time I pass near Edmonton airport on the way to the track near there (haven’t driven by there in the M2). It is typically caused by weather radar interfering with 5GHz wifi connections that are favoured for use by CarPlay over 2.4Ghz.

The music via CarPlay on the Macan often comes back after a minute or so over a distance of a couple of kilometres, but often will continue playing music with a blank screen.
This happens in 3 spots I frequently travel in my area, one near a hospital, one near a radio station(this is the worst offender), and one near a defunct stadium. It has happened on my previous f32 with wireless CarPlay as well, and also affected the TPMS sensors on my e90. Glad to know my radio interference theory isn't crazy!
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
azv31113.50
      09-14-2024, 06:46 AM   #14
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
This happens in 3 spots I frequently travel in my area, one near a hospital, one near a radio station(this is the worst offender), and one near a defunct stadium. It has happened on my previous f32 with wireless CarPlay as well, and also affected the TPMS sensors on my e90. Glad to know my radio interference theory isn't crazy!
Any reason this would be happening with the phone plugged in vs wireless? Or is the CarPlay connection only wireless in our cars regardless of being plugged in?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 06:58 AM   #15
RobM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Any reason this would be happening with the phone plugged in vs wireless? Or is the CarPlay connection only wireless in our cars regardless of being plugged in?
In the M2 the CarPlay is wireless only. Other cars support both.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #16
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
As far as I know from the 2 BMWs I’ve had with CarPlay, it only works on wireless even if plugged in.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #17
rchan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G87

Hmm I called a BMW Genius and we ran through a few recovery steps like holding down the volume button for 1.5 minutes to reset infotainment. Issue persisted and I asked him if he had ever seen this problem before and he said no lol. After that he asked me to schedule a BMW service appointment to completely replace the iDrive / Infotainment as its covered under warranty... I'm also certain this is a firmware update problem lmfao. Also Android Auto works perfectly when I tried my spare Samsung phone.
Appreciate 0