home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

08-30-2024, 12:25 AM   #1
Ehloo
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Skid Plate/ Oil Cooler Protection- Aliexpress edition

as the title reads i took a gamble on a oil cooler/skid plate off Ali Express. I couldn’t justify the prices for the big names for something that was hidden under the car.

The pictures looked good but you don’t get much when buying from Aliexpress. limited or no description. it’s really a gamble.

All in with shipping i was at 185 usd. Not many options at that price range beside Zunsport which i dont believe looks like much protection. shipping was actually more than the item.

Got the package today 6 days after i ordered it even though it said it was going to take more than a month. pleasantly surprised. Item was package nicely and came in perfect condition. The plate is heavy gauge steel, maybe aluminum and only reason i say steel is it has some heft too it. nice textured black powder coat and a bag of bolts and screws. like any Ali purchase there was no instructions, manual etc.

i watched a couple videos on YT on general skid plate installs and they are all the same on the g8x platform. Some plates are a little easier to install and some harder. what i wanted was just general instructions what needed to be removed

took me about an hour and half to install on my back with the car on some race ramps. not ideal but that’s what i had.

the plate uses all oem bolt/ screw locations and no additional holes needed. everything lined up perfectly.

the only difference i see from other plates is that they give you a long bolt, big metal spacer. couldn’t really figure out what it was for till i had all the oem parts off. then it was pretty simple. this section bolts directly to the oem metal skid plate. you need to remove the stock bolt and replace with longer supplied bolt.

I am pretty happy with the purchase and really glad i didn’t spend 500+ on the other options. This could easily be mistaken for a 500 item.

i can’t say all parts on Aliexpress have the same outcome but the manufacturing is getting much better and like many said its the same factory pumping out parts for many US brands”

sorry didn’t take many pics working off the race ramps but i would say if you are looking for a oil cooler protector and don’t want to spend all that money this is a very good option.

not going into air flow and all that jazz. i don’t believe many of the more expensive options have good airflow from the looks and those that do remove the protection aspect. the reason i got it. it looks like more than enough cooling for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mrdudley439.00
T-Rexx187.50
      08-30-2024, 12:55 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Looks like a good way to block oil cooler air flow
Appreciate 2
Ronin761326.50
beren72.00
      08-30-2024, 05:03 AM   #3
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BG G87 M2 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
as the title reads i took a gamble on a oil cooler/skid plate off Ali Express. I couldn’t justify the prices for the big names for something that was hidden under the car.

The pictures looked good but you don’t get much when buying from Aliexpress. limited or no description. it’s really a gamble.

All in with shipping i was at 185 usd. Not many options at that price range beside Zunsport which i dont believe looks like much protection. shipping was actually more than the item.

Got the package today 6 days after i ordered it even though it said it was going to take more than a month. pleasantly surprised. Item was package nicely and came in perfect condition. The plate is heavy gauge steel, maybe aluminum and only reason i say steel is it has some heft too it. nice textured black powder coat and a bag of bolts and screws. like any Ali purchase there was no instructions, manual etc.

i watched a couple videos on YT on general skid plate installs and they are all the same on the g8x platform. Some plates are a little easier to install and some harder. what i wanted was just general instructions what needed to be removed

took me about an hour and half to install on my back with the car on some race ramps. not ideal but that’s what i had.

the plate uses all oem bolt/ screw locations and no additional holes needed. everything lined up perfectly.

the only difference i see from other plates is that they give you a long bolt, big metal spacer. couldn’t really figure out what it was for till i had all the oem parts off. then it was pretty [...]
Thanks for the post!
Am definitely going to need one when my car arrives but I agree with you in that I didn’t want to spend $800+ AUD on it.
I think that this is a great option and still has good ventilation.
I have been others and more exspensuve versions that have much less open vents.

From what I understand the cooling is not from the air hitting it (as the stock uncovered cooler is not in line for direct impact from moving air) however the cooling comes from heat and air being pulled away from it via vacume / low air pressure of the moving air underneath it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 05:03 AM   #4
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Looks like a good way to block oil cooler air flow
From what I understand the cooling is not from the air hitting it (as the stock uncovered cooler is not in line for direct impact from moving air) however the cooling comes from heat and air being pulled away from it via vacume / low air pressure of the moving air underneath it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 06:09 AM   #5
Dixie12
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40I

I got the same plate ,really good quality but I drilled out the stars and made some more holes , no more whining about cooling problems
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
mrdudley439.00
Ronin761326.50
NevadaK50.50
      08-30-2024, 06:14 AM   #6
a358970751
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW G87 M2

Garage List
2024 bmw m2  [10.00]
Go for it , won’t be any problem . It’s just metal plate . I have Artek skid plate . No any issue so far
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 09:04 AM   #7
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie12 View Post
I got the same plate ,really good quality but I drilled out the stars and made some more holes , no more whining about cooling problems
If I didn’t have the Mishimoto already, this is definitely the route I’d go. Nice job.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 10:19 AM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexx View Post
That is part of the flow mechanism, but the air still has to flow through the top from the front opening to underneath, any restriction in the flow will reduce the cooling efficiency.

The use of stars for cooling holes in a plate is the work of a stupid person rather than an engineer. They minimise the strength of the plate along with minimising the flow and introduce lots of stress risers.

The design using stars for holes also gives an illusion of more flow area than there is. To calculate the blockage, if a circle of radius (r) = 1 connects each star point, the 5-pointed star area is r^2 / (tan 72 + tan 54) = 1.123. The stars can be fitted in a rectangle halfway between each star with a width (from the photo) of 3.1r x 2.4r = 7.44. This means that the blockage is 1-1.123/7.44 = 0.85, or 85%!

Overall a terrible design that isn't much better than just covering the oil cooler with a flat plate from a flow perspective. In contrast the Zunsport grille has wire that is about 1/6 of the hole width, leading to less than 20% blockage.

The modification Dixie12 did increases the flow of the Aliexpress plate to a usable level.
Appreciate 5
Ronin761326.50
NewToM1429.00
beren72.00
DSTR1411.50
      08-30-2024, 11:16 AM   #9
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
That is part of the flow mechanism, but the air still has to flow through the top from the front opening to underneath, any restriction in the flow will reduce the cooling efficiency.

The use of stars for cooling holes in a plate is the work of a stupid person rather than an engineer. They minimise the strength of the plate along with minimising the flow and introduce lots of stress risers.

The design using stars for holes also gives an illusion of more flow area than there is. To calculate the blockage, if a circle of radius (r) = 1 connects each star point, the 5-pointed star area is r^2 / (tan 72 + tan 54) = 1.123. The stars can be fitted in a rectangle halfway between each star with a width (from the photo) of 3.1r x 2.4r = 7.44. This means that the blockage is 1-1.123/7.44 = 0.85, or 85%!

Overall a terrible design that isn't much better than just covering the oil cooler with a flat plate from a flow perspective. In contrast the Zunsport grille has wire that is about 1/6 of the hole width, leading to less than 20% blockage.

The modification Dixie12 did increases the flow of the Aliexpress plate to a usable level.
Ali Express’ target market is not rocket scientists.
Appreciate 1
aerobod4129.00
      08-30-2024, 11:16 AM   #10
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Curious why you think the Zunsport doesn't offer much protection? It's steel mesh, almost nothing you drive over is going to break through it & damage the cooler.
Appreciate 2
aerobod4129.00
DSTR1411.50
      08-30-2024, 11:19 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

They are not good upgrades, in my opinion; the airflow is obviously restricted by these designs.

Lots of good options that dont cost a fortune and are better designed than what is posted on this thread.

Quote:
MAD is $199, including shipping and a much better design, plus US support and a full warranty. There are other brands that offer this product for this price range with a better design.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 11:29 AM   #12
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Our initial design was focused mostly on protection but we quickly changed it and ended up with this design for max flow and protection.

Prototype
Name:  image 4.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  353.6 KB

Final version

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 08-30-2024 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 4
BradMX5333.00
mrdudley439.00
Ronin761326.50
T-Rexx187.50
      08-30-2024, 07:41 PM   #13
youloze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Our initial design was focused mostly on protection but we quickly changed it and ended up with this design for max flow and protection.

Prototype
Attachment 3540050

Final version
Dang it. Had I known yours was coming out at that price point I would have bought that rather than the same one the the OP installed. 🤦
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 08:12 PM   #14
Ehloo
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

i would love some actual data on oil temps between the options. i have a feeling that it will be marginal with normal driving. Track days might be a different story
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 08:21 PM   #15
youloze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
i would love some actual data on oil temps between the options. i have a feeling that it will be marginal with normal driving. Track days might be a different story
I would agree. I'll keep an eye on my oil temps, but I'm willing to bet the different is marginal at best for a street car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 09:50 PM   #16
Ronin76
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

Prototype
Attachment 3540050

Final version
Just sent you a message about your skid plate .

Does your skid plate incorporate the OEM rubber lip (or air damn)?

Last edited by Ronin76; 08-30-2024 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2024, 12:05 AM   #17
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
Just sent you a message about your skid plate .

Does your skid plate incorporate the OEM rubber lip (or air damn)?
No, oem rubber the shield itself will allow negative pressure. We saw no change in temps compared to oem.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 08-31-2024 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ronin761326.50
      08-31-2024, 02:42 AM   #18
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thanks mate!
I can’t argue with that math!!!
85%!!!! Holy crap!!!!
The above MAD design looks good yes?
Appreciate 1
Ronin761326.50
      08-31-2024, 02:44 AM   #19
T-Rexx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Prototype
Attachment 3540050

Final version
That final version looks good!
How much and where can I buy it?
Do you have a website?
Can you ship to OZ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 08:07 AM   #20
Ronin76
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
No, oem rubber the shield itself will allow negative pressure. We saw no change in temps compared to oem.
Can you or another forum member explain negative pressure and its importance? Sorry this is all above my head.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 08:25 AM   #21
TallGibbs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (coming Sep '24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
Can you or another forum member explain negative pressure and its importance? Sorry this is all above my head.
Negative pressure is the same as vacuum (suction). It’s how you can create upward flow on the bottom of the car to get air to pass through the engine oil cooler. The OEM rubber air dam creates turbulent air behind it which will also then have negative pressure (like an airplane wing has negative pressure on its top surface which creates lift).
      08-31-2024, 09:25 AM   #22
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGibbs View Post
Negative pressure is the same as vacuum (suction). It’s how you can create upward flow on the bottom of the car to get air to pass through the engine oil cooler. The OEM rubber air dam creates turbulent air behind it which will also then have negative pressure (like an airplane wing has negative pressure on its top surface which creates lift).
Wouldn’t negative pressure under the oil cooler create downward flow (pull air out with high pressure air pushing out)?
Appreciate 0