k-m2-j442
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 Supra 3.0

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.17]
2021 Toyota Supra  [9.50]
Sway Bars

So I haven't take delivery yet but one of the bigger things I did for my supra was putting sway bars on the car. I didn't do any other suspension modifications but it made the car turn in so much nicer and more responsive.

I don't know how good/bad it is on the M2, but I'm surprised to see there are no aftermarket sway bars available as of yet.

That being said if I do go this route, I am not looking forward to the install as dropping the rear subframe and rotating the one out on the supra was not fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:14 PM   #2
Q8_TwinTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3, 2020 F90 M5

H&R Sway Bars

k-m2-j442

To my knowledge, you have 2 options to this day.

Option 1: BMW OEM (G82) M4 CSL sway bars

- Front M4 CSL sway bar p.n. 31-35-8-091-420
- Rear M4 CSL sway bar p.n. 33-50-8-091-429

Option 2: H&R sway bars

- Front H&R sway bar p.n. 70616-2
- Rear H&R sway bar p.n. 71616
- Front & Rear sway bar Kit p.n. 72616-2
Appreciate 2
k-m2-j442679.50
Geighty71397.00
      02-26-2024, 11:20 PM   #3
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-m2-j442 View Post
So I haven't take delivery yet but one of the bigger things I did for my supra was putting sway bars on the car. I didn't do any other suspension modifications but it made the car turn in so much nicer and more responsive.

I don't know how good/bad it is on the M2, but I'm surprised to see there are no aftermarket sway bars available as of yet.

That being said if I do go this route, I am not looking forward to the install as dropping the rear subframe and rotating the one out on the supra was not fun.
Honestly you don’t really need them but to each their own. H&R makes a great solution. There is pretty much 0 tilt in this car when in sport+ chassis.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:43 PM   #4
DutchBoysRacing
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2013 Mini GP

Does anyone know how much stiffer the CSL sway bar is than factory G87 M2?

Also any one running the H&R kit?
      03-11-2024, 10:45 PM   #5
Sherlock997
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchBoysRacing View Post
Does anyone know how much stiffer the CSL sway bar is than factory G87 M2?

Also any one running the H&R kit?
I have the H&R kit and will post back with my findings once it is installed. It did take a couple of months to come in.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:11 AM   #6
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

How’s the install on the sways on this car? Drop subframe in the front?
      03-12-2024, 07:14 AM   #7
k-m2-j442
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
How’s the install on the sways on this car? Drop subframe in the front?
Disclaimer: I haven’t done it on this car but the Supra…the front was easy, like 25 mins. The back you have to drop the subframe a few inches while supporting with external support and then twist out the old one and twist the new one in. That one took a couple hours to get right (my first attempt at this type of job). I would do it again for the Supra but still up in the air on this car.
      03-13-2024, 09:31 PM   #8
NoDramaG42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240x G42

@k-m2-j442

On a side note, how does the stock M2 suspension compare to the stock Supra's?

I also own a MT Supra, and have been thinking about putting a couple bucks into the Suspension / Sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:57 AM   #9
k-m2-j442
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramaG42 View Post
@k-m2-j442

On a side note, how does the stock M2 suspension compare to the stock Supra's?

I also own a MT Supra, and have been thinking about putting a couple bucks into the Suspension / Sway bars.
Stock to Stock: I think the M2 wins. I haven't taken it to the track but the turn in on normal back roads and the agility is fantastic. It may not be that much better but it feels more confidence inspiring. Once the sway bars were put on (I didn't do any other suspension, just sway bars, wheels/PS4s) the supra felt very confidence inspiring as well.

My personal feeling is you can't wrong with either. I would have likely gone after a MT supra butttt toyota dealers can kiss my ass. The number I have been to with sleezy sales tactics and such vs the good ones is way to high.
      03-15-2024, 08:26 PM   #10
NoDramaG42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240x G42

Quote:
Stock to Stock: I think the M2 wins. I haven't taken it to the track but the turn in on normal back roads and the agility is fantastic. It may not be that much better but it feels more confidence inspiring.
Wow that's gotta be something despite weighing quite a lot more than the Supra.
At this point, I care more about the agility and feel, rather that out right performance on a track per say.

Makes me want to look into trading my supra or g42 for the M2cs or M2cx whenever its announched, even more

Quote:
Once the sway bars were put on (I didn't do any other suspension, just sway bars, wheels/PS4s) the supra felt very confidence inspiring as well.
Which brand if you dont mind, and I assume you got both Front and Rears done.

Quote:
My personal feeling is you can't wrong with either. I would have likely gone after a MT supra butttt toyota dealers can kiss my ass. The number I have been to with sleezy sales tactics and such vs the good ones is way to high.
The toyota dealership / amateur technicians, is a big concern. That's why I havent taken the Supra back to the dealer even for oil changes (first or any).
The MT is a fun car, but imo it feels and wants to be driven in a more old school, less aggressive and more a calm way (for instance it does not like fast or hard shifts) than its AT twin that can take the abuse at all levels.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 06:13 AM   #11
k-m2-j442
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Wow that's gotta be something despite weighing quite a lot more than the Supra.
At this point, I care more about the agility and feel, rather that out right performance on a track per say.
I know. I think some of it comes down to the tires too, the stock supra comes with PSS which on the supra you can break lose at 30mph...the PS4S is much better and while they won't hook up perfectly from a dig they are significantly better.

Quote:
Which brand if you dont mind, and I assume you got both Front and Rears done.
aFe - using the recommended settings. And yes I did front and rear. The rear is a pain in the ass but doable if you have a decent setup to do it at home. I have a quickjack and jack/stands and was able to do it with that without a problem other than the pain of dropping the subframe a bit.

Quote:
The toyota dealership / amateur technicians, is a big concern. That's why I havent taken the Supra back to the dealer even for oil changes (first or any).
The MT is a fun car, but imo it feels and wants to be driven in a more old school, less aggressive and more a calm way (for instance it does not like fast or hard shifts) than its AT twin that can take the abuse at all levels.
I got my initial oil change done at the toyota but thats it. Its also such a pain in the ass that at least locally the 2 toyota dealers only have 1 "certified supra tech" so you need to schedule it around when they are working. The AT was a ton of fun and honestly with sport mode on, it was great on track, always seemed to be in the right gear (I am not a HPDE expert but it was very capable to me). That being said I love a manual car. I have an AT dd (RDX, which I honestly hate driving, not because its bad but because its not the car type I like driving, smaller, nimble cars are my stuff but family stuff, you know). Regarding the faster shifting and such, I'm probably going to get the rogue SSK and bushing soon, I know that won't fix a lot of the "issues" but at least it'll be more direct and precise. Additionally, I've been driving currently with rev match enabled and once my break in is done, I'll probably disable that more and see how that goes but I hear revhang is pretty bad. Lots of things to look into.
      03-27-2024, 03:50 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

It's the least expensive upgrade for roll control and reduce camber changes. However, a larger front bar might be beneficial in reducing unwanted camber changes and add some bite in the corners, the opposite is true for the rear bar in terms of traction.

More bar also means more spring rate in corners and will require more damping to control it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:22 PM   #13
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

I went with just an upgraded thicker bar up front in my old 135i. Made a pretty big diff in the handling. That thing was super roll town stock.
      03-28-2024, 02:24 PM   #14
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
It's the least expensive upgrade for roll control and reduce camber changes. However, a larger front bar might be beneficial in reducing unwanted camber changes and add some bite in the corners, the opposite is true for the rear bar in terms of traction.

More bar also means more spring rate in corners and will require more damping to control it.
Can you help me understand the camber part. The cars ride the bump stops early, even earlier when lowered, yet every lowered car gains static camber.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 11:40 AM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
Can you help me understand the camber part. The cars ride the bump stops early, even earlier when lowered, yet every lowered car gains static camber.
Yes, there is some camber gain as the suspension is compressed, but not nearly enough to combat the roll induced camber changes. A larger bar will help somewhat, but you need much more static camber to start with.

BMW doesn't use the "bump stop" as "bump stops", it's actually a secondary spring to increase the rate of the metal spring. If you are constantly riding on it, your car is too low.

This may be off the topic of this thread. Feel free to PM is necessary.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2024, 12:03 PM   #16
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there is some camber gain as the suspension is compressed, but not nearly enough to combat the roll induced camber changes. A larger bar will help somewhat, but you need much more static camber to start with.

BMW doesn't use the "bump stop" as "bump stops", it's actually a secondary spring to increase the rate of the metal spring. If you are constantly riding on it, your car is too low.

This may be off the topic of this thread. Feel free to PM is necessary.
The car rides the bump stops stock fairly easily....everyone makes these claims but no one actually takes any measurements and just repeats the same information theard 10 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 02:46 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car rides the bump stops stock fairly easily....everyone makes these claims but no one actually takes any measurements and just repeats the same information theard 10 years ago.
It's okay to ride on the progressive bump stops. It just adds to the overall spring rate.

What claims are they making?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:09 PM   #18
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's okay to ride on the progressive bump stops. It just adds to the overall spring rate.

What claims are they making?
Claims that swaybars reduce camber loss when in reality they do no such thing as the car will hit the harder part of the bump stop well before the camber curve plays a roll
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:27 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Claims that swaybars reduce camber loss when in reality they do no such thing as the car will hit the harder part of the bump stop well before the camber curve plays a roll
They all contribute to it. It's a balancing act and there are many ways to address it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:55 PM   #20
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I don't think that's the case unless you have some aftermarket springs that lower the car by some obnoxious amount. I don't think OEMs usually design suspensions to ride on the bump stops while cornering.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 01:02 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I don't think that's the case unless you have some aftermarket springs that lower the car by some obnoxious amount. I don't think OEMs usually design suspensions to ride on the bump stops while cornering.
BMW use them as secondary springs to add to the spring rate. If they are progressive bump stops, they are used as secondary springs.
Appreciate 1
Lappy203.50
      04-01-2024, 03:14 PM   #22
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Most modern cars ride bump stops. Like I said no one actually measures anything and just makes assumptions.
Appreciate 0