BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-02-2022, 03:24 PM   #1
surstromming
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

230i - aftermarket differentials

Wasn't able to locate or order a 230i with the Dynamic Handling package despite my best efforts, so bought one w/ just M-Sport off the lot. Very happy with the car so far as a daily driver, but my only gripe is that it's a fully open diff AKA worthless for any kind of spirited driving, can't drift it meaningfully, can't do donuts, and drives poorly in bad weather conditions. Coming from a BRZ, I didn't realize how much I'd miss the limited slip differential - for me, it's either I get one installed onto this car, or I'll have to buy a second weekend car that has one for when I want to have fun; if I can't do parking lot donuts in the winter, I'm not truly alive.

Just curious if anyone has investigated performing a diff swap on one of these to get a proper LSD installed - don't see many options out there as of yet, and am wondering when the aftermarket will catch up.

Last edited by surstromming; 12-02-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Not sure what kind of aftermarket support you’re going to find when there’s a factory option that’s very good and standard on the sporty version of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #3
surstromming
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Not sure what kind of aftermarket support you’re going to find when there’s a factory option that’s very good and standard on the sporty version of the car.
Not standard on the sporty version - M Sport package does not include the LSD. And, frankly, I called every single dealer in my state to try and find one equipped with Dynamic Handling - my options were to wait ~6 months to have one factory ordered, or kick rocks. This is a rare part on a 230i.

Are you insinuating my only option is to buy a new one with the part installed from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #4
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

The sporty one is the M240i, which comes with the M Sport diff standard. And you can get it as an option on the 230i.

How many people bought a 230i instead of an M240i, reeeeally want a LSD, and didn’t option it? That’s the addressable market for the aftermarket providers. I don’t think it’s a huge audience, which is probably why you don’t have any options.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:50 PM   #5
surstromming
Rep

Quote:
The sporty one is the M240i, which comes with the M Sport diff standard. And you can get it as an option on the 230i.

How many people bought a 230i instead of an M240i, reeeeally want a LSD, and didn’t option it? That’s the addressable market for the aftermarket providers. I don’t think it’s a huge audience, which is probably why you don’t have any options.
Being that none of the G42 cars are actually equipped with a limited slip differential from factory (locking diff /=/ LSD, and the difference shows), I'd say there's probably a few...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 04:07 PM   #6
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surstromming View Post
Being that none of the G42 cars are actually equipped with a limited slip differential from factory (locking diff /=/ LSD, and the difference shows), I'd say there's probably a few...
Haven’t heard any complaints. You even said yourself that you wanted it… just didn’t want to wait.

Unfortunately for you the M240i crowd is driving a lot of the dollars as far as performance modifications, so I suspect you’re not going to find many options. Might have better luck retrofitting the OEM one, but if it’s possible at all it won’t be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #7
surstromming
Rep

Quote:
Haven’t heard any complaints. You even said yourself that you wanted it… just didn’t want to wait.

Unfortunately for you the M240i crowd is driving a lot of the dollars as far as performance modifications, so I suspect you’re not going to find many options. Might have better luck retrofitting the OEM one, but if it’s possible at all it won’t be cheap.
Wanted it for slightly better daily driving dynamics, but truth is that the stock e-diff is likely 95% of the performance value of the locking diff, and why I bought one without it. Hence why the title of the thread is "aftermarket differentials". Ya still can't drift for shit without a mechanical limited slip diff, which means ya can't drift for shit in an M240i. It's why the new M2 will come with an actual limited slip diff installed - you/I might be able to upgrade to that soon enough, once the part is offered separately as it was for the F22.

Am new to new car ownership (have always bought used/CPO and tuned) so am not used to being unable to find aftermarket options. In 5-10 years people will be swapping out the "M Performance Differential" for either a proper M-Sport Limited Slip offering like they did in the last generation, or for Wavetracs/etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Quote:
Haven't heard any complaints. You even said yourself that you wanted it… just didn't want to wait.

Unfortunately for you the M240i crowd is driving a lot of the dollars as far as performance modifications, so I suspect you're not going to find many options. Might have better luck retrofitting the OEM one, but if it's possible at all it won't be cheap.
Wanted it for slightly better daily driving dynamics, but truth is that the stock e-diff is likely 95% of the performance value of the locking diff, and why I bought one without it. Hence why the title of the thread is "aftermarket differentials". Ya still can't drift for shit without a mechanical limited slip diff, which means ya can't drift for shit in an M240i. It's why the new M2 will come with an actual limited slip diff installed - you/I might be able to upgrade to that soon enough, once the part is offered separately as it was for the F22.

Am new to new car ownership (have always bought used/CPO and tuned) so am not used to being unable to find aftermarket options. In 5-10 years people will be swapping out the "M Performance Differential" for either a proper M-Sport Limited Slip offering like they did in the last generation, or for Wavetracs/etc.
The M2 should have the active M differential, which I am guessing is not retrofit friendly at all. The pressure on the clutch pack is electronically controlled, so it needs wiring and a module and communication with other modules.

Can you share with me what source of information you have on the m240i LSD? I have not seen any real details on what type of LSD it is. You called it an e-diff, are you saying it's one of those BS systems that uses brake pressure at the loose corner to force power across an otherwise mechanical open differential? Like they do for off-road trucks. I would have thought it uses a clutch type or torsion rear LSD.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 05:15 PM   #9
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

Nope it's a real mechanical system, with electronic control of the locking point. It's the same system you can option on the M340i/M440i.

Of all the things on the car to complain about the diff is one I hadn't heard (until today)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #10
surstromming
Rep

Last-gen 228i/235i/240is were able to be retrofit with this first party mechanical limited slip differential. No 'active M' system, just a mechanical part providing a consistent driving experience.

The new 230i(if optioned) and 240i use the Active M diff, which is an electronic locking rear differential. Different from an e-diff (which just pinches the brakes on given wheels as needed to produce a roughly similar effect), but also different from a limited-slip differential because the locking is all electronically determined based on the situation/programming, and therefore inconsistent.

That is to say, the diff locking is subject to the whims of the Active M system, and you are subject to its fluctuations and babysitting. A small improvement over an e-diff for spirited driving/adverse weather conditions, but not optimal if you want a consistent experience to grow accustomed to in situations where you're pushing the car to its limits (ie. track car), or to rip around corners and kick the ass out without a babysitting electronic system in between you and your car making decisions about how much wheel spin you get.

Last edited by surstromming; 12-02-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:53 PM   #11
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep

It sounds like you should have bought a different car. The whole vehicle is loaded with “babysitting electronic systems”, so if that’s not your jam you’re not going to be happy.

The active diff can also back off in comfort mode, or lock up sooner if needed. It’s pretty cool. Also the M2 has the same sort of electronic system. You’re not getting the LSD out of an old cop car in one of these.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:05 PM   #12
surstromming
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like you should have bought a different car. The whole vehicle is loaded with “babysitting electronic systems”, so if that’s not your jam you’re not going to be happy.

The active diff can also back off in comfort mode, or lock up sooner if needed. It’s pretty cool. Also the M2 has the same sort of electronic system. You’re not getting the LSD out of an old cop car in one of these.
It's a daily driver man - I already have my fun car, and all of those bells and whistles and comfort features are why I am here having upgraded from perhaps the most modifiable sports daily driver there is. I like the DSC system and the drive modes and everything, it's how I commute. But I also like being able to turn that shit off, and to curate a consistent mechanical experience from my vehicle when I want to push it; negging me for looking into how to get that in my differential is odd. As stated, I am very happy with the car overall; this is a performance-oriented nitpick, hence why I am inquiring on an enthusiast forum.

I'm sure the locking diff is perfectly enjoyable, but it's not what I'm asking about here...it's clear to me that for now, the aftermarket support for an LSD on this car just isn't there yet and might take a couple years. Will excitedly install one whenever it is produced. Appears there's already some offerings for the G20 3 series (initially offered 2019), so guessing we're only a couple years away!

Last edited by surstromming; 12-02-2022 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #13
donm527
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Z06

I was hoping to see more too but I think aftermarket support may never really materialize for this car...

For one thing Mexico seems to have issue making them cause you will never see one on the lot and dealers won't keep inventory like they do 3 Series or X7 for days on lots so there won't be any interest for tuners to get one to develop.

Because of that you already can see tuners like UK Motech already sold their M240i after doing a little development on it.

M2 may bring interest and stimulate a few parts that might trickle down to the G42 but only short term cause there will be even less of those on the roads and don't think there will be a great aftermarket for them.

Nothing like the aftermarket that's available for the BMW Supras. Some things may trickle down from there from some shared parts like engine mods and stuff.

Quote:
I'm sure the locking diff is perfectly enjoyable, but it's not what I'm asking about here...it's clear to me that for now, the aftermarket support for an LSD on this car just isn't there yet and might take a couple years. Will excitedly install one whenever it is produced. Appears there's already some offerings for the G20 3 series (initially offered 2019), so guessing we're only a couple years away!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #14
surstromming
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
I was hoping to see more too but I think aftermarket support may never really materialize for this car...

For one thing Mexico seems to have issue making them cause you will never see one on the lot and dealers won't keep inventory like they do 3 Series or X7 for days on lots so there won't be any interest for tuners to get one to develop.

Because of that you already can see tuners like UK Motech already sold their M240i after doing a little development on it.

M2 may bring interest and stimulate a few parts that might trickle down to the G42 but only short term cause there will be even less of those on the roads and don't think there will be a great aftermarket for them.

Nothing like the aftermarket that's available for the BMW Supras. Some things may trickle down from there from some shared parts like engine mods and stuff.
Quaife is already making a limited slip diff for the G20 (both for models with and without the M diff); thinking it'll take a couple years but I expect to see options for the 220i/230i/M240i in the aftermarket in due time.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 01:59 AM   #15
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Last-gen 228i/235i/240is were able to be retrofit with this first party mechanical limited slip differential. No 'active M' system, just a mechanical part providing a consistent driving experience.

The new 230i(if optioned) and 240i use the Active M diff, which is an electronic locking rear differential. Different from an e-diff (which just pinches the brakes on given wheels as needed to produce a roughly similar effect), but also different from a limited-slip differential because the locking is all electronically determined based on the situation/programming, and therefore inconsistent.

That is to say, the diff locking is subject to the whims of the Active M system, and you are subject to its fluctuations and babysitting. A small improvement over an e-diff for spirited driving/adverse weather conditions, but not optimal if you want a consistent experience to grow accustomed to in situations where you're pushing the car to its limits (ie. track car), or to rip around corners and kick the ass out without a babysitting electronic system in between you and your car making decisions about how much wheel spin you get.
What is your source to say that the M240i has the Active M differential? I have seen nothing that suggests that. My 240i is still on order, so I cannot simply look underneath it to see for myself.

In my X3M, the active M differential is quite obvious when you change drive modes. After familiarizing with the vehicles maximum capabilities around particular curves you frequent, in MDM mode suddenly the car wants to drift these turns, as the rear differential is putting more pressure on the clutch pack. Its very obvious that the lockup characteristics have changed by drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #16
mvd_rsti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 230i

Garage List
2023 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
What is your source to say that the M240i has the Active M differential? I have seen nothing that suggests that. My 240i is still on order, so I cannot simply look underneath it to see for myself.

In my X3M, the active M differential is quite obvious when you change drive modes. After familiarizing with the vehicles maximum capabilities around particular curves you frequent, in MDM mode suddenly the car wants to drift these turns, as the rear differential is putting more pressure on the clutch pack. Its very obvious that the lockup characteristics have changed by drive mode.
Straight from the ordering guide. Also, can attest to the change in driving dynamics between modes on my 230i and can understand the desire @[surstromming] has for the M Diff.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #17
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 230i M Sport, '22 330ix

Quote:

The LSD in my '22 230i is a stellar performer. Works as any LSD should. It makes sure that two nice black stripes are painted down the road when traction is low at launch. Throttle-induced oversteer can be corrected gradually without letting up on the gas. Throttle-steering sweepers is a cinch. Track-corner exits are dispatched efficiently as both rear tires claw for traction in unison. The only decisions this LSD makes are those that facilitate the driver's commands. I find that it works seamlessly on and off the track with consistent predictability, making it, IMHO, one of the best options that can be had on this car.

Last edited by GWIZ; 12-05-2022 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 06:20 PM   #18
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd_rsti View Post
Straight from the ordering guide. Also, can attest to the change in driving dynamics between modes on my 230i and can understand the desire @[surstromming] has for the M Diff.
You do realize of course that your screen shot does not mention Active M differential, it clearly says "M Sport Differential", so my question remains unanswered. I have yet to see any evidence that the M240i has the active M differential. It might, but if it does, I have not seen it claimed anywhere other than this thread. It does seem that BMW does not always refer to it as the active M differential, as in the paperwork for my X3M they seem to use either phrase. So I dont know if "M Sport Differential" is an alternative nomenclature for the Active M differential, or if the Active M differential is just one model in a lineup of "M Sport Differentials". I hope I am conveying clearly why I find the matter confusing.

Last edited by PNTDG42; 12-04-2022 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #19
surstromming
Rep

As a follow-up to this thread, I performed a good deal of research into the stock differential on this vehicle - a surprisingly difficult task which involved a good deal of back-and-forth with BMW in order to obtain technical specifications otherwise hidden from prying eyes. For anyone else interested in more information about the diff on the 230i, I hope this saves you the trouble. I expect, but did not bother to confirm, that this information holds true for the 240i as well.

Both stock and Adaptive Handling equipped G42 230is are equipped with HAG 215LWS electronically locking rear axle differentials. There is no physical hardware difference between stock vehicles and Dynamic Handling vehicles, with respect to the differential. This means that even a bone-stock 230i will not suffer with a fully open diff. The difference between the packages, while likely impossible to fully discern without a detailed discussion with the engineers who designed the car, is purely software-based. I was unable to get a lot of detail regarding these differences, but in summary, the M Diff produces a 'sportier' ride (likely allowing a bit more spin/oversteer before locking to help correct) while the stock diff focuses more on a 'practical' ride more suited for daily driving. Owners of Dynamic Handling get access to both; switching to Sport+ will toggle from 'practical' mode to 'sporty' mode. The fact that vehicles with and without the package are physically identical produces a couple of implications:
  • It may be possible to upgrade to the M Diff in the future, either at a dealer if someday offered as a software upgrade, or via, erm, "software modification" once the vehicle is better understood by enthusiasts
  • Both stock and Dynamic Handling vehicles are equally up shit creek with respect to mechanically limited-slip hardware; it's all the same gear
  • The only physical difference between vehicles equipped with Dynamic Handling and those which are not are the upgraded brakes - quite possibly worth the money, if it's convenient for you. These can be purchased from and installed by a dealer separately as an M Part, but this will cost slightly more than purchasing them as an option
My conclusions are as follows:
  • The stock diff is perfectly sufficient for use as a daily driver, or even as a sports/track car. You will not be stuck with one-wheel drive in a snow storm.
  • The Dynamic Handling package is an upgrade in several respects, but do not expect it to produce more than slight differences in operating capacity in the way a mechanically different differential would.
  • Those who could not or did not purchase a vehicle equipped with the Dynamic Handling package can perform a first-party retrofit of their brakes without voiding the warranty, and receive the majority of the package's benefits
  • For those who want the true Positraction experience and to really be able to push this vehicle to its limit, either M Parts or the aftermarket will have to come and save all of our sorry asses, Dynamic Handling or otherwise

Last edited by surstromming; 12-29-2022 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2023, 02:13 PM   #20
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
[*]Those who could not or did not purchase a vehicle equipped with the Dynamic Handling package can perform a first-party retrofit of their brakes without voiding the warranty, and receive the majority of the package's benefits
[/LIST]
so the dynamic handling pkg is primarily just upgraded brakes?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:32 AM   #21
GWIZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 230i M Sport, '22 330ix

A little about the M Sport Diff

For those who optioned the 230i Dynamic Handling Package with the M Sport Rear Differential included, count your lucky stars. It is one hell of a performance upgrade.

2022 230i Dynamic Handling Package
(230i Coupe only; requires M Sport package)
19-inch M Double-spoke wheels with perf. non-runflat tires
M Sport rear differential
M Sport brakes with blue or red calipers
Front Rotors: 348x36mm, 2-piece, vented (330x24mm base)
Front Brakes: 4-piston fixed
Rear Rotors: 345x24mm, 2-piece, vented (330x20mm base)
Rear Brakes: 1-piston sliding

M Sport Rear Differential
(from BMW press materials)
The M Sport rear differential delivers the type of performance and experience customers expect from a BMW when pushing their car to its dynamic limits. The electronically controlled, fully variable locking function in the M Sport rear differential optimizes traction and directional stability, as well as agility and cornering dynamics. The DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system is used to limit rotational speed equalization between the rear wheels, optimizing the transfer of power to the road. This effectively counters any tendency to understeer when taking corners. Power which cannot be transferred to the road by the unloaded wheel on the inside of the corner – as it is liable to slip – is shifted to the outside wheel, instead of applying the brakes to neutralize its effect. As a result, all of the engine’s power and torque is channeled into providing for a fun driving experience. The fully variable differential can provide a locking effect of 0 to 100 percent. Distributing the torque to the wheels individually also improves directional stability during dynamic direction changes.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 06:31 AM   #22
pw4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 230i Msport

In Australia (I think the UK is the same), all 230i come with the M-sport package which includes everything in the US dynamic handling package - except the M active differential which isn't made available for us on the 230i unfortunately. I did ask before ordering...
If it's at all like the F22, sport mode should tighten up the brake-grabbing fake-LSD enough for spirited road use. I don't know if it was in the manual, but holding the DSC or TC button for 2-3 seconds backed off the stability controls further and allowed the fake-LSD to emulate a real LSD fairly well. It's not in the G42 manual, but I'll be giving it a try when my car finally gets here. It will never be as good as the M-sport diff would be, especially for the track, of course.

2021 International BMW Club of the Year

Opinions are personal, not those of the club
Appreciate 0