BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-26-2023, 07:56 PM   #45
albertM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Looking for fedback on beak-in. Once I reached the 1200 miles, any restrictions before the service or should I still stick to restrictions until the service done?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 08:37 PM   #46
Fastfwd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertM3 View Post
Looking for fedback on beak-in. Once I reached the 1200 miles, any restrictions before the service or should I still stick to restrictions until the service done?
Thanks
Stick to the restrictions if you ask me.....

Otherwise, generally speaking, I was pretty well behaved during my break in period. I got my service performed today and was finally able to give it the full send. Amazing power. A struggle to put it down in 1st and 2nd.

I did do some spirited driving, but kept it below 5k. Mostly just pushed the handling traction to see what it could do.

I did have to drive to Dallas and back totaling about 400 highway miles. I tried to shift gears and vary the engine speed as much as I could. Mostly city miles though.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:12 PM   #47
rk95
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Has anyone actually gotten the break in done at 800 miles? I’m lining it up for 1k as that’s the soonest my CA told me I could bring it in
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:23 PM   #48
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk95 View Post
Has anyone actually gotten the break in done at 800 miles? I’m lining it up for 1k as that’s the soonest my CA told me I could bring it in
Why do you want to bring it in sooner? Planning a long road trip with the car?
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      03-06-2024, 06:18 AM   #49
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
If you believe the car needs an early service you should be able to arrange that.

Took my M2 in for an early out of schedule oil/filter service at around 600 miles. Had to pay for the service out of my own pocket. I asked the running in service notification not be reset/cleared. I wanted it left active to alert me when it calculated the break in service was due.

Then when the CBS alerted me a 1200 mile service was due I booked the car in for that. Appointment was around 2 weeks out so I cooled my jets and didn't drive the car so as to avoid going too far over the 1200 miles. Not sure how much over is too much but I had the luxury of driving my 2nd car in the meantime. When I brought the car in for its service the odometer was at 1204 miles.

If you take the car in for an early off schedule service ask how long you can postpone the break in service.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:37 AM   #50
rk95
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Why do you want to bring it in sooner? Planning a long road trip with the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
If you believe the car needs an early service you should be able to arrange that.

Took my M2 in for an early out of schedule oil/filter service at around 600 miles. Had to pay for the service out of my own pocket. I asked the running in service notification not be reset/cleared. I wanted it left active to alert me when it calculated the break in service was due.

Then when the CBS alerted me a 1200 mile service was due I booked the car in for that. Appointment was around 2 weeks out so I cooled my jets and didn't drive the car so as to avoid going too far over the 1200 miles. Not sure how much over is too much but I had the luxury of driving my 2nd car in the meantime. When I brought the car in for its service the odometer was at 1204 miles.

If you take the car in for an early off schedule service ask how long you can postpone the break in service.

I read someone on here who said it could be done at 800 miles and I was just curious if anyone had actually done it. I’ve been following the break in and plan to get it done around the 1000 mile mark. This is the earliest my CA said I could get it. Oddly enough, when I had my car in for an alignment at 330 miles, they tried to do my break in service and said it was due.. I quickly made sure this would not happen lol
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      03-07-2024, 07:26 AM   #51
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I read someone on here who said it could be done at 800 miles and I was just curious if anyone had actually done it. I’ve been following the break in and plan to get it done around the 1000 mile mark. This is the earliest my CA said I could get it. Oddly enough, when I had my car in for an alignment at 330 miles, they tried to do my break in service and said it was due.. I quickly made sure this would not happen lol
I searched and found nothing official regarding how early or late a break in service could be done.

CA? Customer advisor aka sales person?

Did you ask someone (SA aka service advisor) in the service department about getting the break in service done early?

In the past -- with other cars -- when I sought an early service -- and one I would be paying for out of my pocket -- initially I received some push back. But when I politely pressed there was nothing official from the factory on this and of course I checked the owners manual first and found no caution against an early service.

Oh, you may run into resistance if you show up as a walk (drive) in for an early service. Even for my car's 1200 break in service I had to make an appointment and it was almost 2 weeks out.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:26 AM   #52
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

I have no idea why someone would think that an oil change was necessary or even wanted to do one at ONLY 600 miles. That alone baffles me a touch...

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
      03-08-2024, 07:58 AM   #53
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
I have no idea why someone would think that an oil change was necessary or even wanted to do one at ONLY 600 miles. That alone baffles me a touch...

I have posted a picture of the oil canister oil drained from my 2008 Cayman S at ~750 miles. Full of metal (aluminum) to the point the oil had a metallic sheen to it. Sure the filter prevented the metal debris from passing through provided the filter high pressure bypass valve never opened.

An analysis of the oil from my 230ix at 624 miles found the high temperature (212F) viscosity was 7.373 vs. 8.577 for the virgin oil. The cause for this change/drop off in viscosity was very likely due to molecular shearing. IOWs the oil breaking down. If so and at ~600 miles one can only wonder what the oil's high temperature viscosity will be at the CBS oil change interval.

While I didn't have the M2's oil analyzed when I had it changed at ~600 miles this next oil change -- with the CBS system calling for service -- I will have both the drained oil and virgin oil analyzed and post the results. Won't be quite the same as having the factory fill oil analyzed at however many miles it accumulated from new but will see what there is to see. (Oh, last M2 oil change at ~4800 miles. This next oil change will be at around 7250 miles.)

My SOP is when I buy a new/used car to treat it as if I'm going to own it forever. So I try to give the car servicing from the start of my ownership that offers the best chance, in the case of an early oil/filter service, of a long and trouble free service from the engine.
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2024, 11:54 PM   #54
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I have posted a picture of the oil canister oil drained from my 2008 Cayman S at ~750 miles. Full of metal (aluminum) to the point the oil had a metallic sheen to it. Sure the filter prevented the metal debris from passing through provided the filter high pressure bypass valve never opened.

An analysis of the oil from my 230ix at 624 miles found the high temperature (212F) viscosity was 7.373 vs. 8.577 for the virgin oil. The cause for this change/drop off in viscosity was very likely due to molecular shearing. IOWs the oil breaking down. If so and at ~600 miles one can only wonder what the oil's high temperature viscosity will be at the CBS oil change interval.

While I didn't have the M2's oil analyzed when I had it changed at ~600 miles this next oil change -- with the CBS system calling for service -- I will have both the drained oil and virgin oil analyzed and post the results. Won't be quite the same as having the factory fill oil analyzed at however many miles it accumulated from new but will see what there is to see. (Oh, last M2 oil change at ~4800 miles. This next oil change will be at around 7250 miles.)

My SOP is when I buy a new/used car to treat it as if I'm going to own it forever. So I try to give the car servicing from the start of my ownership that offers the best chance, in the case of an early oil/filter service, of a long and trouble free service from the engine.
Your explanation makes sense. And trust me, I get it. I'm 1/4 German so you never need to explain how OCD we can get at times. But I do know this, the S58 is a stout masterpiece & wonderful engineering feet. And yet I still don't feel the need to do a 1/2 half of RIS / initial break-in (1,200 mile) service such as you did. The brand new engine does need to break itself in to a certain degree & you're simply prolonging that initial process that all S58's must endure to a certain extent. At 1,200 miles the M-division knows to what extent the oil breaks down & while I applaud your efforts, to me it would simply be a little premature to put it lightly. I would love to someday see an S58 motor with 300k on it & then see yours at 300K to compare the subtle differences. Maybe one day we'll get that chance & I welcome the opportunity.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00